Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 Rifle 1 Cal 1 Knife?

Default 1 Rifle 1 Cal 1 Knife?

Since there seems to be some very interesting threads going around I thought I would ask this question

I will paint the picture I'm sure you can all understand. You're a "mountain recluse" with NO contact with the outside world for years.
    Which RIFLE, CAL & KNIFE would you choose? 1 rifle 1 cal 1 knife that's it! Choose wisely men.

Default go small

I'd bring a 22 revolver and a pocket knife, the 22 to shoot myself in the head for being so stupid as to be away from civilization for years, and the pocket knife to dig the slug out of my thick skull when the round didn't penetrate.

One rifle...hhhhuuuummm... well I guess that would be my tried and trusted M700 Rem 30/06. It has killed more stuff than any other rifle I have and I can light matches at 100 yds with it. I also have a very good knife, a Gerber fixed blade with a drop point. My wife got it for me from the Fairbanks K-Mart in the mid 90s. I have never seen another like it, but it is the best knife I have ever used, I have skinned and quartered a whole moose before hitting it with a stone and the same with an elk; skinned and cut up several deer before sharpening. I have never seen a knife hold an edge like it does. But I would still want to have some type of axe along as well, never know when you need to chop some wood.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

FN FAL, .308, Buck Vanguard fixed-blade.
    Now what ?

To Validate my resent re-education on type of rilfe to use I would choose for my rifle the Ruger M77 Hawkeye with the scope being a
    Leupold Vary X-III 1.5-5x20mm
    for the cartridge (with lots of loading supplies using just the 225gr bullet) it would be the 358Win and the one knife would be my fix blade Buck Skinning knife.

PS - If I owned a Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06 the choice would really be tough to decide.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default HEAVEN Forbid

To only have one firearm would be like only having one arrow for a bow or drinking 1 beer out of a six-pack and throwing the other 5 away.
    BUT, I'll play.
    I choose a CZ-550 in 375 H&H and a Bagwell bowie. The farther from the road/city you go the bigger your gun and knife should be.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    The farther from the road/city you go the bigger your gun and knife should be.
    Love it!!!!
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default 1 rifle

Winchester M70 in 6.5X55, Cutco drop point hunting knife

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    ......... The farther from the road/city you go the bigger your gun and knife should be.

I absolutely agree with that!

These are fun games....we hope they would never be anything else but if they were real I'd try to cheat anyway. I'd carry an extra knife in my sock and a small handgun stashed somewhere...if possible.

It would have to be durable and reliable for sure for a mountainman sort of adventure. I like the idea of something in the larger bore about 375 and a knife with some heft to it. I have an addiction to Randall knives and would probably find one in that collection to serve me well. I have relied on them before. I like a heavy 7" with an indestructable handle and tang, such as the Randall model #16, Special Fighter with dark green micarta border patrol style handle. The rifle would need to be capable of taking down a mastodon because I think they would come back if this scenario played out. The 375 H&H with various loads for smaller, medium and large game/aggressors.

Once upon a time I thought I would cheat when thrust into a scenario of survival and great peril. We (8 of us) were to exit a certain C-130 circling above the sandy desert. For one week we had several task ahead of us. We had a Knife, one quart of water, one chart and two compasses between us. We all cleverly filled our pockets and underwear with jerky and snickers bars, peanuts, dried fruit, salt and one guy even had two cans of coke with him. We were forced to strip down to our underwear and empty all pockets and clothing of anything edible, then we left the plane. There was a half ton of junk food in the floor of that Herky bird when we left.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Probly my old school Buck Kalinga and .338.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Not fair. If I were limited to one firearm, it would be a 12 gauge shotgun. But since you specified rifle, I suppose I would have to choose any reliable bolt action in 30-06. From a survivalist perspective, the venerable 06 has taken more game than any other cartridge on earth, and one would be more likely to find ammo in remote areas for it than most of the newer calibers.

Knife? Again, limited to one I would choose a multi-blade folder with a blade small enough for detail work and one big enough to handle light chopping chores for fire wood, etc.

Hmmm... I think I need a 30-06.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Where is my mountain??? If CONUS I would stick with pre-64 70 in 30-06 since I wouldn't be so worried about another animal eating me, -06 plenty good for the two legged aggressors and small edible critters. I don't know which knife I would choose, but nothing huge. Size the knife for the game processing.

Now, if I was on a mountain where I might be the table fare, I would also choose a 375 H & H. Hopefully have reloading area in the cabin with a lifetime cache of consumables! This would also merit a bigger knife. I'm probably living further off the road here.....!!!

Murphy, fine choice with the Randall. Never owned one myself, but know others that do and they are sweet! I got a good chuckle out of your pogie bait story on the bird. It never hurts to try.... You reminded me of the time some guys thought they were getting over by selectively leaving out essential items out of their ruck before taking off on a 26 click forced march. When the scales came out, you should have seen their jaws drop. They spent a fair amount of time in the front leaning rest before taking off at a trot on the little stroll.......

Default cheating?

Would it be cheating if I said my NEF Survivor in 45 Colt (and .410) and maybe 454 Casull?

Knife would have to be Chris Reeve Mountaineer II

"the venerable 06 has taken more game than any other cartridge on earth" I doubt it. Expect the 22lr has it beat by a long shot on # of game killed.

Like Ozarks said it would probably depend on where I was. Down south a 22lr. Here probably 45-70.

knife would be my wife's bowie, cast dentric blade, stabilized amboina burl handle, have cleared runways and skinned moose with it among other chores.

Quote Originally Posted by knifemaker View Post
    "the venerable 06 has taken more game than any other cartridge on earth" I doubt it. Expect the 22lr has it beat by a long shot on # of game killed.
    Fair enough - to clarify, the 06 has taken more LARGE game than any other cartridge on earth. It's verified statistics, not just conjecture. But then, the 06 has been around far longer than most of the other commonly used cartridges currently on the market.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default Cheating??

At the risk of cheating this whole thing, I'd opt for a TC encore 20 gauge and also a 30-06 barrels and maybe a .50 cal muzzleloader as well as the 30-06 is the only caliber rifle right . Then for a knife I'd go for a Cutco with out the serrated edge so I can sharpen myself. Cheating yes, but you always gotten bend the rules a little right?

CUSTOM CZ 550 375 HH, Remington fixed blade knife
    375 Ruger Hawkeye...Mice to Moose, Impala to Buffalo....1 GUN.....WORLDS PURSUIT

AKsoldier, that i can totally agree on.

N.E.F. single shot 45-70.

The simplest mechanism I can think of.

Cold Steel Trailmaster.

I can do all things with a large knife that I can do with a small one, but not the other way around.

Default Murphy

You'll note he didn't stress what mountain range ? Don't they have mountains in Africa as well; aren't some of these mountains off the road system ?
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast