Thread: Better bet for moose?

Default Better bet for moose?

My dad is coming up this way from Michigan this fall and I am trying to get some ideas for a moose hunt. I will have at least one ATV by then (likely to have a second machine also). What is your opinion on what is more likely to be more successful; boat the Tanana, boat the Yukon or ATV in perhaps down toward black rapids (or elsewhere?)? Thanks all.

As a non resident you would have to go a long ways to hunt moose down the Yukon I beleive with no permit.

If your willing to spend tha kind of money on gas on the river I would consider flying out of Aniak with a zodiac in to unit 18.

Take a good look at the Spring Draw Permit Supplement that is soon coming out. Put in for some of the Any Bull Permits in 20A. That is right in your back yard. If successful, your plan will take shape.
    SP
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Already planned on it

Yeah, that is my first priority as soon as it comes out. Thanks.

Default 20A

sorry guys the 20A hunts are in the winter draw lots of people missed out this year, since they changed it.

Quote Originally Posted by tylerbenelli View Post
    sorry guys the 20A hunts are in the winter draw lots of people missed out this year, since they changed it.
    Did you put in for 20A? If so you must have missed the letter from Fish & Game. The one stating the 20A moose hunt draw is postponed until spring and our applications will be combined with all the ones filed this spring. I got my letter.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by tylerbenelli View Post
    2009 will be remembered as the year of "Change". They changed it again, to the Spring Draw. Lots of people still have a chance to get in on it.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default 20A

Isn't it wonderful how F & G rewards those slackers who whined about the winter drawing. All they had to do was read the application and apply for it. But no, they missed out and enough of them complained to F and G so they caved!
    Sorry to hi-jack your thread...
    BK

Question

I applied on time and never received a letter from F&G. Wonder what's up with that?

Default Whinners?

I have to wonder when whinning became fashionable? Ive tried it for years to no avail. Sent Sarah letters, sent Denby Lloyd letters etc and have all but given up on the permit thing.
    Then I got my letter too, and thoughts of poaching are still dancing around in my head!
    Is it even poaching if you call ADFG and tell them where your going and what you intend to shoot?
    I guess if the trooper never showed, it could come into the catagory of "does a tree that falls in the woods with no one around make any noise?"
    Heck, there you go. Tell your Dad, you've took care of everything and he can just shoot anything he sees!
    Mike

Default Whatever

Yeah, I put in for the 20A hunt in the winter draw. I got the same letter as many of you did. Yeah it sucks that it was postponed until spring draw. Does that decrease my odds of drawing a permit? Yeah, it does. I don't get bent out of shape about it though. Hell, I've never drawn a permit to date so what's the worst that could happen? It could be worse...I could have woke up in chalk line and never hunted again! I decided to forgo the 'Banks town locale and opted for a Yukon river hunt anyhow. Good luck all.

Quote Originally Posted by smallmonzter View Post
    Yeah, I put in for the 20A hunt in the winter draw. I got the same letter as many of you did. Yeah it sucks that it was postponed until spring draw. Does that decrease my odds of drawing a permit? Yeah, it does. I don't get bent out of shape about it though. Hell, I've never drawn a permit to date so what's the worst that could happen? It could be worse...I could have woke up in chalk line and never hunted again! I decided to forgo the 'Banks town locale and opted for a Yukon river hunt anyhow. Good luck all.

IMO
    This issue is not about better odds. It is about those of us who prepare, plan and read the sups getting put into the same pool as those who don't. Life is not fair.

Yeah I know it sucks I'm just saying that I won't get too wound up, just my opinion.

Thumbs down Slackers/whiners!

Amen!.......

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Isn't it wonderful how F & G rewards those slackers who whined about the winter drawing. All they had to do was read the application and apply for it. But no, they missed out and enough of them complained to F and G so they caved!
    Sorry to hi-jack your thread...
    BK