Thread: Porcupines and Plywood

Default Porcupines and Plywood

Does any one have any thoughts on how to keep the critters from plywood eating short of not using plywood?

Thanks

Cover it with chicken wire, it seam to work.

I 2nd the chicken wire. I have heard of the one well place round into the critter method too
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default This always works for me

When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Default move into the chicken coupe

I think as long as you guys say chicken wire works, I'll be moving my stuff into the old chicken coupe. Might as well let the porkies have the cabin, its about all gone now.
    A short search indicated that they eat the plywood as a source of some kind of salt. Is this accurate?
    If so, do you put out a few salt blocks to save the cabin, or will I invite the whole valley porkie population to my door step?
    I killed 4 last year, one had to be over 40 lbs.

Default Depending on how often you get there

it might work to spray a little bear spray around the plywood edges. It worked for me when I had some beavers working over some trees I wanted to keep. I sprayed the trees with pepper spray and they left them alone.

If you have a water bottle and some irish spring soap that has melted in it and spray your cabin or any plywood. It doesn't hurt the wood either.

They are kinda like moose in that regard. They HATE the smell and will leave it alone. It also isn't pepper spray so if you touch it and then touch your eyes, you won't have that burning effect.

Hope that helps.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Quote Originally Posted by 257wby View Post
    it might work to spray a little bear spray around the plywood edges. It worked for me when I had some beavers working over some trees I wanted to keep. I sprayed the trees with pepper spray and they left them alone.
    Hmmm, Bears like Bear spray, it like catnip to bears. Maybe the bears ate the beavers.

Default Thanks for all those pointers.

Thanks for all the great pointers I will try some of them. Popping them is a good option but I am not there all the time.

Default crazy thought

Quote Originally Posted by traphunt View Post
    Thanks for all the great pointers I will try some of them. Popping them is a good option but I am not there all the time.

Why not take some hot stuff, cauynne (sp) pepper or something along those lines and put in it a gallon of clear sealer and apply it to the area they are chewing on. maybe a nice hot mouth would help. I have never heard of this or seen it just popped in my head
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight