Thread: comfortable float-coat

Default comfortable float-coat

Can anyone give a personal review on the Mustang flotation coats? I'm thinking of buying one to wear on the river/ocean for comfort & safety. Can you cast & fish easily in these coats? I'm wondering about the "bulkiness" with the flotation built-in.
    I already have a float coat with a CO2 cartridge (have to manually pull pocket to activate) and that coat is ultimately comfy & cozy but thinking a Mustang bomber jacket/parka would be a better/safer bet but I don't want to feel like I'm in a gumby suit.
    Thanks,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Can anyone give a personal review on the Mustang flotation coats? I'm thinking of buying one to wear on the river/ocean for comfort & safety. Can you cast & fish easily in these coats? I'm wondering about the "bulkiness" with the flotation built-in.
    I already have a float coat with a CO2 cartridge (have to manually pull pocket to activate) and that coat is ultimately comfy & cozy but thinking a Mustang bomber jacket/parka would be a better/safer bet but I don't want to feel like I'm in a gumby suit.
    Thanks,
    Jim
    I picked up the bomber 2 years ago and have to say it`s the way to go for me. I found that I never wore flotation just because of the comfort factor. Now that I run around in open boats in the salt, I have alot of praise for the bombers comfort and design....looks kind of sporty too. The best price I found in-town was @ B&Js booth @ The Sportsmans Show.

They are a bit stiff when new but after they are broken in they are very comfortable. I used to have one of their one piece suits, and it lasted almost 10 years before finally disintegrating.

Default float coats and ScotchGuard

I've had my mustang classic float coat for almost 15 years (slightly different style than the bomber and a little longer below the waist) and still love it. As Drifter said, they're a bit stiff when new, but break in nicely.

I noticed online a newer model of the mustang coat called the "Integrity Deluxe Coat" that looks pretty darn sweet.

They repel water very well when newer, but my older one has lost a lot of it's rain-proofness...though a little of the "old" ScotchGuard can deal with that (Yes, I still have 2 cans of the good, old stuff that I hoarded before they discontinued it).

Speaking of ScotchGuard...their newer stuff really doesn't work all that well for water-proofing outdoor gear. What kind of spray-on water repellents have other folks found to be worthy?

I have a Mustang Integrity Deluxe Bomber Jacket and would say that it is great for cool days on the water. If you plan on rowing or go out on a super nice day it is going to be hot. Otherwise like people said above it is a little stiff when new. Great Coat and would recommend it for anyone who is on the water a lot.

Thumbs up got 3

I agree with all the good things said above. They are so comfortable you really want to wear them when it is a bit cold and there's any wind. We, myself and two friends, opted for the reflective stripes for extra safety.

Default Mustang

You only get one chance to make a good impression.
    By that I mean if you get dunked and survive what is that worth?
    I fish the salt and the Kenai. Coat works well and keeps me warm.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Thanks guys!

I'll look into getting one; anyone find online prices cheaper than a store? Although I need only the slightest encouragement to go to BJ's, always looking for a good deal.
    Jim

I bought my wife one and she loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    I'll look into getting one; anyone find online prices cheaper than a store? Although I need only the slightest encouragement to go to BJ's, always looking for a good deal.
    Jim
    Wait for the Sportsmans Show for a little better price.

Default I wish!

But I'll have to wait till I'm up there in July to go get one in Anchorage as I'm fairly certain you can't find one on the Peninsula? How about the Gear Shed or the other gear place on Kbeach road? Want to try on a few models. Pretty sure I'm getting one.
    Jim

I have no idea on pricing/availability south of Anchortown...sorry.

The New issue of Fish Alaska has some recommendations....
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default Okay,

so it looks the Integrity float coat; size XL. Now what do you guys prefer: the bomber jacket or the coat??? I'm thinking the bomber jacket would "hike" up a little while sitting down and running a tiller boat? Don't want a cool breeze on the backside! Open to suggestions. I suppose the coat would be a little more warmer just due to the longer length?
    Thanks,
    Jim

I think mine "rides-up" less now that it is a bit used.

The sizing on them runs a bit small IMO so be careful if you`re ordering it.

Default Stearns float coat

I wear mine almost daily during the fishing season for 2 reasons, safety and warmth and it has big pockets that I carry smoke and flares in.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com