Thread: lower chatanika for pike

Question lower chatanika for pike

has anyone fished the lower chatanika river for pike or burbot
    is there any white fish in this river?

Yes for Pike and whitefish. I don't know about burbot. I am not a big fan of the Chat though. Not a great boating river, too shallow, too many sweepers, and too many blind bends. I have only really done ok with Grayling in the Chat. I have caught a few whitefish (not a fan, so it doesn't really count), the pike I have caught were small, and the salmon are obviously pretty bad off by the time they get there. It is a really beautiful area but I would rather boat and fish else where. Last thing is boat access is not the best. If you put in at the highway, you have a long difficult run. 5 miles as a crow flies is at least 20 river miles, if not worse. If you go in at the dome, you got the rough trail to get through. Good luck though, I would and have gone there if I didnít have a better place to go.

Wink Minto instead?

If you are going to head out towards the Chat, why not just keep going farther and fish Minto? The average fish I've pulled out of there was 30". We caught so many fish on one trip that I went on out there, that my arms were sore at the end of the day. Just a thought. Just be aware that pike season at Minto doesn't open until 1 June.

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

Smile pike on chatanika

thanks for the info I wanted to take my boat down the chatanika sounds like it wont be that fun being shallow I hate pushing the boat. going to look into minto sounds like fun been a long time since my hands have been sore from pulling fish

Default Check With Bill O North Country

Check out North Country River Charters Bill has been running Minto and that general area for years he is always willing to share data. Another reasonable source would be Tim Bouchard who use to work with North Country. Time owns Arctic Web Desgin and is listed on the web.

Moose-O

look up "pike fishing access from Murphy Dome put in" on this forum...it's really only the first few bends from the put in that are shallow. After that, it's really winding, but deep. ...

Looks like another put in at Minto or Murphy Dome road debate brewing. I've never done the MD road deal but I've heard more bad than good about the road. Not sure what kind of boat you're pulling but from what I've heard, I won't be towing my Phantom that way any time soon.
    " There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot" - Steven Wright

I've never put in on Murphy Dome Rd either. I've always driven out to Minto.

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

I haven't put in at MD road, but have gone down that "trail" that leads to the river. There are a few areas where it does like to get partially washed out. I've seen VW Bugs in there, and other 2wd's. I'd recommend a good spare if you do go in, theres plenty of sharp rocks to get ya. There's a few good mud holes too if it's been raining.

I was in there last year and was passed by a backhoe that was going in to pull someone out. I know this as I saw them returning back with the strap still attached.

It's a fun single lane road. Take yer time and you should be fine. Not many areas to pull off in the first couple miles.

as someone else said it just a mile or two from the landing before the river gets deep enough to run easily, I have done it with a prop& lift on a 16 foot green boat, the last mile can be hard on props.........
    But heck, you dont even need a boat, if you fish up from the landing you can catch some nice fish.
    Just remember to let some go, a couple a winters ago some one went back in during the winter and slayed them at the confluence of the chat and goldstream.
    I dont remember the details, but sounded like they really cleaned em out.!!!

I've gone in MD road way the last two years. Two years ago the road wasnt bad at all but last year there were some really good holes at the bottom. I tore my spare tire off my trailer but it should be good to go this year because it's mounted on the top. Last year you NEEDED 4wd. It would be nice if they drove a few bugs down there to fill the holes in then you could drive over the top of them.