Thread: tolman skiff jumbo vs. 27' phantom cruiser (not phantom jet boats))

Default tolman skiff jumbo vs. 27' phantom cruiser (not phantom jet boats))

i was wondering if anyone could help me come to a decision on which boat to build the 24' tolman skiff jumbo with a 150 honda and a 5' aft cockpit.http://www.alaska.net/~tolmanskiffs/or if i should build this boat instead with a 150-250
    inboard diesel or gas.http://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=409
    whatever boat i build i'm going to retire on so i need comfort and affordability to build, own, and operate. also pros and cons of both boats.
    i have read the fishy fish blogs at least twice through but when i found this boat it really shook me up and now i don't know which boat to build.

The Tolmans have always seemed to be working/rec boats not live-aboard boats. The other boat seemed to offer more interior space and comfort. Just my $.02

Deep V = higher fuel consumption, and tippier when not under way.
    I can't come to bed right now honey - somebody on the internet is wrong.

When you believe in things you don't understand, then you suffer . . . " - Stevie Wonder

Stretch the Jumbo to 26' I'm partial to Tolmans having built a widebody, stretched to 22 1/2' with a full pilothouse. In hindsight a 24' jumbo would have been better for my use, but I didn't (and still don't) have the space to build that boat.

Tolmans have been built in a wide variety of configurations, and can certainly be built as comfortably as you want. The jumbo will definately have an edge on efficiency over that phantom.

I really can't see a downside in a Tolman. You can take any seas you would take in the phantom, you might need to slow down a bit more in a chop, but your savings in building and fuel useage will more than offset a minor speed advantage. I'd suggest going to the Homer Wooden Boat festival over Memorial day weekend, they'll be plenty of Tolman skiffs to look at, owner/builders to talk to and Renn should be there.

Question extended jumbo questions

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Stretch the Jumbo to 26' I'm partial to Tolmans having built a widebody, stretched to 22 1/2' with a full pilothouse. In hindsight a 24' jumbo would have been better for my use, but I didn't (and still don't) have the space to build that boat.

Tolmans have been built in a wide variety of configurations, and can certainly be built as comfortably as you want. The jumbo will definately have an edge on efficiency over that phantom.

I really can't see a downside in a Tolman. You can take any seas you would take in the phantom, you might need to slow down a bit more in a chop, but your savings in building and fuel useage will more than offset a minor speed advantage. I'd suggest going to the Homer Wooden Boat festival over Memorial day weekend, they'll be plenty of Tolman skiffs to look at, owner/builders to talk to and Renn should be there.
    what part of the boat would you extend the aft planing part and increase by 10-15 percent or even more. i've seen only it think two other extended jumbo's and both seemed to plane quite well. that extra two feet i think may have just made up my mind for me.

Question: do you think that the guys at laser tech alaska that cut the kits could add the extra length into the kit for an additional charge and also make and extended cabin to my specs also for and additional charge

You'll have to check with Neal on the stretched kits, it is just the planing surface that is stretched. I know there has been at least one 25' jumbo built, but I don't know if it was built from a kit or not.

As far as I know Neal doesn't make kits for the cabins. Two reasons for that, each hull is built just a little bit differently dimensionwise, so it would be difficult to make a kit that would work for those differences, and secondly everyone seems to have their own idea of what the perfect pilothouse consists of.

Default just go ahead

start cutting plywood and you can build whatever you want is what renn told me

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmultramag View Post
    what part of the boat would you extend the aft planing part and increase by 10-15 percent or even more. i've seen only it think two other extended jumbo's and both seemed to plane quite well. that extra two feet i think may have just made up my mind for me.

Question: do you think that the guys at laser tech alaska that cut the kits could add the extra length into the kit for an additional charge and also make and extended cabin to my specs also for and additional charge
    Neal cut cabin templates for me that were stretched from his original. I kept the same basic design, just added an extra foot in cabin length. Mine is a 24' jumbo with 7' cuddy, 7' cabin, and 7' cockpit. I don't see any reason why a 26' would not work. It may not be as efficient in using plywood but that is a minor issue. With that said any 26' boat is going to be tight as a full time live aboard. I do like my jumbo.

There is a light green 26' out there, I think in the valley. I seen it going to Whittier once and leaving Homer once. I got a picture of it there. It has a 150 Honda on it. Neil knows a little about, wish I knew where it was at.