Thread: Febuary Females

Default Febuary Females

Female Caribou that is

Got the word that a large herd was headed 'tward the village, and they were soon to be in a set of lakes called "Milligeevik".
    After a big blow-n-snow, like we had here for the last couple weeks, the Caribou will concentrate themselfs in areas around windswept lakes , eating the moss that grows deep along them.
    They will go down from the mountain ridges/tops looking for fresh feed,and there can be alot of food around these lakes that will keep them around untill the long daylight drives them to herd up and head North to their calving grounds.
    Riding the ridges inbetween the lakes can give you the "Jump" on Caribou.

Riding to the top of any hill can have Caribou just over the crest, quite close sometimes.

I went East first away from Kobuk River tward Selawik villlage where these Caribou had recently passed. I then turned South and drove along the East boundrys of these lakes looking for tracks, but there was none. It wasnt untill I was on a high spot that I noticed quite a few in the distance.
    Another thing I noticed was the wind picking up and the temperature riseing.
    It got hot!!
    My machine was plowing mush now,burning alot of gas, draging a sled and working hard.
    I took off a sweater and neck warmer and carryied on.

I saw a bunch of Caribou about 1/2 mile away in a lake down in a drainage, and decided to drive "Up" to the hillside that borderd the lake.
    Doing that, I walked about 50 feet to the crest (In like 5 minutes, it was DEEP snow), and looking down, there were about 50 Caribou spooked and milling around.
    some were standing still, but they knew something was no good at all....

I sized up 4 really really good lloking cows and decided to shoot them from farthest to nearest. When I was concentrating on my first animal, I saw that the fattest one was trotting tward me.
    This was a "Sure thing" , so I reversed the order from Farthest to Fattest First.
    I got the first one in the neck,at about 100 feet on a long finger of snow that started below me.
    They scattered at the sound of the shot but not quite knowing which way to go, a few stopped and looked for a leader, but I was on to just how fat she was, and I got her too, in the neck as she trotted up the lakes sloping snow to the tundra about 120 yards away , but to my right.

All my other "Most wanted" were mixed up in a long line of running butts and tails, so I stopped there.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Heres how they turned out. Like an inch and 1/2 of Fat on that rump!
    I brought them inside to finish skinnning and butcher them as the wind has really picked up, and I have talent with a mop.....

Nice and Fat, with big marrows in the bones nowadays.
    Bubba gump style cooking and boiled Marrow bones are best with Tounge/Heart soup.....Mmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

Most of the mess is from snow and blood on the hair.
    You probly notice that I open up the brisket from one side as well, and I leave the Heart in untill its time to dismember.....

Almost forgot.....

With my Moisin!!! ~LOL!~, and I apologize to anyone who thinks Im undergunned...

Wink

Figured you were off hunting somewhere,nice job.Little more fat and you would have wished you had a mans gun in 458

This is how it ended......, for the Caribou at least. I ate the Rabbit

We keep the quarters on one whole, Halved on the other with a roast made from the Fat Pelvic bone meats.
    Backstraps on one, the other sliced as chops with the rib on.Makes a great soup bone

Good for a week or two, but I'm sure I will go shopping again sooner.

Default strangerinastrangeland

I sent you a PM

Default Stranger

Great job again. Glad there were animals in the area for you!

I've got some great pix of deer from a meat hunt that I should post. There are those who say that hunting isn't a cost effective way to get meat. But if you do it right it is.

That does look like good eating. Maybe I'll just take time off next month and go shopping up there too!!

So were those females carrying? I'm thinkin not since they were fat.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Glad you guys like the post.

458 ona Killer attack Rabbit?? I just may need one when they come for me....~LOL!!~

Its good for everyone, with the Caribou so close. Meat is all around the village, and the animals are in fine shape.
    It was a 30 minute ride from home, so I was fairly lucky, with my "crew" of hands on meat cutters awaiting me at home.
    2 or 3 at a time is a good days work. If were fall time and we were hunting the river then 5 would be the max if they are out inna morning.
    Daylight is getting to be longer now, so hunting is improving.

They were carrying all right, and they're still small. Call me a baby killer,~LOL!~, but really, its thats just the way it gos.
    2nd 1/2 of March is when the Calfs excellerate in growth, and the fat is stripped away, with a noticable change in the shape of Caribou' belly, both from the side as well as from behind, kina bulging out low, like looking at a bell, sorta....These females had that nice Round "Fat" looks, and chubby butts.

Martintrapper, head over to Koyuk, and hang a left to the Buckland trail, and proceed North.
    Bazillions of Chubby butts there.....BLM and State lands galore.
    I'll be over that way inna couple weeks, for long day and fur, depending on the Caribou......I might even be just on the other side of Selwaik Lake, if they make a big shift.

Wish my wife would let me skin in the house! Did a wolverine once and it did not go to well.

My wife wont even let me clean fish in the house. LOL...... Ken

How many pounds of caribou do you eat a day? Are caribou all there are to eat up there? Just curious. Personally I think I would be tired of them by the 2nd one.

You cant get tired of Caribou.

Breakfast lunch and dinner, with snacks inbetween.

We "Bubba Gump" them with spices, sauces, and seal oil. Boiled Baked , fryed, frozen, ground, spiced, salt N peppered, smoked, dryed, 1/2 dryed and chiken fried ect,ect.
    A spice rack is a great thing to have.

There Moose everywhere, but nobody around here really gos after them, they are a secondary meat.
    Salmon, whitefish, Sheefish, Tomcod, Ling Cods, Birds of all fether, ect. ect. along with Greens and Berrys, I get a variety.We bake our own breads.
    Then theres the store for pop, chips, frozen Pizza and the occcasional vegtable, far from fresh and often previously frozen. Canned food too.....

If we dont have meat on the menu, it seems everyone gets grumpy.

Man, that would be cool to be able to eat naturally like that all the time. I guess you get used to it. Ive been eating junk all my life and am too used to it I guess.

Its been so long since Ive had caribou I cant remember how it compares to moose. But Ill take your word for it.

Default Thanks.

Really appreciate your sharing these stories.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Man, that would be cool to be able to eat naturally like that all the time. I guess you get used to it. Ive been eating junk all my life and am too used to it I guess.

Its been so long since Ive had caribou I cant remember how it compares to moose. But Ill take your word for it.
    You don't have to live in the bush to eat naturally - We live "on the grid" and eat a mainstay of moose, salmon, halibut, ling cod, rock fish, shrimp, pike, home raised chickens, fresh eggs year round from the goose, duck, and chickens, Vegetables from the garden, and other plants from forage. Just may raise a pig this year for some fresh bacon. It is just a matter of choice.

Another great thread Stranger Thanks for making the effort to share your life style with us... very cool...

Do you ever hang your carcasses for butchering?

Smile good read....

Good read. You just helped me with the what to have for dinner decision!