Thread: Favorite Day Trips?

Default Favorite Day Trips?

We are looking for your favorite ride for a day trip. Favorites should include decent parking, some boondocking, and a place to get a burger and a brew.

We love Petersville from mile 14 parking lot (for it's great bowls and climbing), and from mile 121.5 Parks Hiway (for it's fabulous groomed trails), too. Great eats at both Forks Roadhouse and Kenny Creek Lodge.

We love the Iditarod Trail from Willow Lake to the Big Su, but anybody know of a lodge that is open for lunch within 20-25 miles?

We can trailer up to Willow Hatcher's Pass, and go in behind Last Chance Coffee, but they don't have burger and brew. Anybody think of a decent ride where we can ride great snow, good food, and still park?

Thanks in advance for your input!

For just getting out and getting on the throttle I really like the Nancy Lake to Lake Creek run. 66 miles in about an hour each way is a pretty decent run and allows me to catch my fix. And for those that wish to partake in a beverage I'm sure some of the places along the Yentna can help with that. But personally the 2 hour trip up and back from there is a good way to get out and enjoy. Of course for mountain cruising and powder playing there are some places out of Cantwell I prefer for that.

Default T-Pass

Turnagain pass, throw the snowboard on the back and rip it up. Hit up Coast Pizza on the way home and grab a 22 at the gas station. doesnt get any better.

I live in great riding country, but I love to take the kids over to Eureka. Good groomed trails that are well marked and have GPS coordinates. Good eats at the lodge, lots of parking, and lots of boondocking available.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thumbs up Great Suggestions, We settled on Little Susitna

We rode the Little Su from Three Bees gravel pit down to Houston Lodge for lunch. The snow on the river was fabulous! No overflow to speak of, and the only incident we had was my son's Arctic Cat fell through the ice on a broken ice shelf and plunged nine inches to the bottom! We pulled him out without incident and kept riding. Love those winter storms!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jktimm; 03-01-2009 at 20:50. Reason: add photo

Quote Originally Posted by Jktimm View Post
    We are looking for your favorite ride for a day trip. Favorites should include decent parking, some boondocking, and a place to get a burger and a brew. Brew is the hard part>>>>>>

We love the Iditarod Trail from Willow Lake to the Big Su, but anybody know of a lodge that is open for lunch within 20-25 miles? Most of the Lodges are open on the Yetena and thay all have food and fuel. My favorite is Yetena Station with their hand made patties and homemade buns. They are about 30 miles from Deshka Landing which has lots of secure parking. Very few places serve alcohol, but it can be found. For a long ride try running out to Tal Vista (Chris) or to Shell Lake (Zoe).

Anybody think of a decent ride where we can ride great snow, good food, and still park? Snow varies on the river from a couple of feet to over 7 feet out towards the Alaska Range. A little pre planning and topo map work can get into some of the best boondocking anywhere hands down. If you are looking for a challenge find a creek running back off the main rivers and work those back to find some of the biggest, best untouched swamps to ride. We have even found a couple of good ones with a bunch of beaver dams to launch off into 6 or 7 feet of powder.

Thanks in advance for your input!
    If never been up river and want to give it a go. Drop me a message as we ride out that way alot. This past weekend we started riding at 8:30 am and didn't call it a day till 10:30 that night. With clear skies and fresh snow we just didn't want to quit.

Talking I know what you mean Dupont!

We were wishing we lived further away so we had reason to ride further. You going to run from Big Lake to Susitna Landing on the 14th? The new Susitna Corridor trail is waiting for us!!! I have requested a map, but we have ridden the trail from Susitna Landing up to Trapper Lake, and they do a GREAT job of maintaining that, so I have to believe the trail is going to be phenomenal! Can't Wait!
    If you haven't heard about it, check the front page of the Frontiersman today, or:
    http://www.frontiersman.com/articles...b693061476.txt

Thumbs up Corridor Trail!

Will be down on the Iron Dog on Wed. And also the Big Swamp Trail. I know the south end will be in good shape ! Will be putting out more markers on the lower end of the Big Swamp!
    Any place I don't need to put my machine on a trailer to get to is good for me! Thats about 150 miles in any way you what to go! I will find the Burger and Brew!!!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!