Thread: Info on .375 Alaskan rifle cartridge???

Default Info on .375 Alaskan rifle cartridge???

I met a good guy at the range this afternoon, and he said his buddy has a Winchester model 70 rifle that has been rechambered to .375 Alaskan. He has shot .375 H&H in it, and the case comes out with a much straighter wall, and a sharper shoulder angle. (The barrel was originally a .375 H&H).

It seems to me that I heard of a gunsmith on the Kenai Pen that may have designed this cartridge, but I am really not sure.

Anyway, he would like to get a set of dies for it if anyone has them or knows how to get a set.

Thanks!
    Jim

I have never heard of a 375 Alaskan. A google search turned up a few hits mostly to midway. They also mention the Name "McGowen" as part of the name. Most of the Alaskan cartridges I have heard of are based off of the 348 winchester, but that would be unlikely to be seen in a bolt gun and 375 H&H would not chamber if that was the case.

I number of 375's are Based on the 375 H&H with straightened sides and steeper neck angle. These include the 375 H&H Ackley Improved and the 375 Weatherby.

The best corse of action would be to do a chamber cast and find out exactly what is there.

Default It's definitely not an Ackley Improved

Bandhmo--thanks for the info. He mentioned that they had measured a fired case, and it didn't match up with the AI. He might have a one-off wildcat here. It's probably a good cartridge design, but it might be cheaper to get it rebarrelled than to get set up for this one.
    Regards,
    Jim

Default + on the casting

I remember reading about a 450(?) Alaskan (I think) that was created by a fella on the Kenai. Probably some sort of deviant of that incantation. I also recall that there were a few of those chambers marked with the 'Alaskan' moniker that were not quite what was expected. (not quite conforming to the spec). Either way it sound like a good chambering and a cast would reveal the truth. Bet it packs a wallop.

See here:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...d.php?p=236054

Send three or four fired cases to rcbs and for $$$? they will send you a set of dies to fit. Used to be about $100 but I don't know now. Much easier than a rebarrel. Went in to one of or local gunstore custom gunshops a few years ago to have a new barrel put on a 270. The guy told me about $700 would do it. Never went there again.

The only gunsmith on the Kenai Peninsula that I know of who has the equipment, etc. to do the things you describe is Clifford Hugg, 260-5871. He is in Soldotna and based on what I have seen of his operation he could build just about anything anyone might want, and perhaps quite a few things that you only think you want! I won't pretend to know all of the gunsmiths on the peninsula but I bet if someone else down that way has his capabilities he would know who they are.

Dan

The man who came up with the .450 Alaskan was Harold Johnson in the 1950's I think. There was an article about him in Handloader awhile back, but I can't remember exactly when. I believe his shop was in Cooper Landing, and according to the article he left Alaska in the early 1960's and eventually went into selling industrial diesel engines, oddly enough.

Mike

If it was Harold; his son Jeff is still in Anchorage. Works at Equipment Source International. (ESI)

What you are describing is a 375 H&H Improved which among others includes the 375 Ackley Improved, 375 Weatherby, 375 JRS, and the 375 H&H Magnum Improved with the greatest case capacity (by about 1 grain more of H20 than the others). I would have to suspect that you may have one of the above....but labeled as a 375 Alaskan vs someone's wildcat. Having Huntington or RCBS make a die from a cast of the chamber is good advice and will certainly be cheaper than a new barrel.