Thread: Pistol shooters, need help........

Default Pistol shooters, need help........

Hello, looking for a expert pistol shooter for some help with me and my .480 ruger. I would really like to learn the finer arts of shooting a pistol for more proficiancy (sp). Haveing a hard time getting this thing sited in and not sure if it's me and my form or the gun. Most likely its my form. Anyone intersted in a pistol shooting lesson at the range? I'd be glad to pay the range fee's.

Thanks Curt

Default Location?

If you are near the Birchwood range, I would be glad to stop in and give you a hand. I think Murphy is in the Fairbanks area and would be an excellent source of info too.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    If you are near the Birchwood range, I would be glad to stop in and give you a hand. I think Murphy is in the Fairbanks area and would be an excellent source of info too.
    That would be greatly appreciated! My work scedule is tues-fri. 6am-4:30pm. I work in anch and live in wasilla. After 10-16-06 (this coming monday) things really calm down for me. I will keep in touch and will work with your scedule.

Thanks again, Curt

I am also an EPM member at Birchwood. But the only real secret to shooting a handgun well is practice, practice and more practice. And with mostly reduced loads to boot.

Snowwolfe,

Lots of practice while doing something wrong only burns up ammo and causes mistakes to become bad habits.
    Dan

Default Work schedule

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    That would be greatly appreciated! My work scedule is tues-fri. 6am-4:30pm. I work in anch and live in wasilla. After 10-16-06 (this coming monday) things really calm down for me. I will keep in touch and will work with your scedule.

Thanks again, Curt
    Sounds like our work schedules are nearly identical. Give me a shout and we can even stop by at the range on the way home from work.

Rob
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

What other handguns do you have? If the 480 is your only handgun, and you don't have much handgun experience, then I would highly recomend not shooting it at all until you master a milder recoiling handgun. Shooting poorly with a big bore reinforces bad habbits, and they take a long time to get over as I can personally attest.

My 480 has been the most accurate handgun I have ever had, and friends have been equally impressive. With a good load it'll put 5 shots into 1" at 50 yds, though about the best I can do is 2" with the iron sights. More than likely it isn't that gun. It does generate signifigant recoil, and that takes practice to master.

Having some folks help you at the range is a great way to go.