Thread: Milling Logs into Lumber

Default Milling Logs into Lumber

We just purchased a remote piece of property along with a Logosol M7 and hope to get to work on a small cabin later this year. Since this will be our first attempt at such a venture, are there any reference materials out there that anyone can recommend which would help us get started - from cutting the trees to the do's and don't's of milling the logs into lumber??

I milled my place and here are some lessons's learned.

- Try to do it in the winter if you can. The sap will be less and the trees come back alot cleaner.
    - Mill or buy a bunch of 1"x? to space your boards so that it can dry.
    - Big lumber is better than a whole bunch of 2x4's. Takes less time and wastes less trees.
    - Build a log hauler for winter and summer. This will help you transport the logs to your mill.
    - I was able to use a lot of my lumber with minimal "drying" time.
    - Try to pick trees that are nice and straight to minimize checking and warpage.
    - Will probably need to erect some type of lean-to to keep your lumber dry and clean for use.
    - You will need a Peavey, good chainsaw, lots of 2 cycle oil and gasoline.
    - Your atv will move trees around real good if you have a log hauler. So will the snowmobile and a proper sled.
    - Have fun, it is a great experience.

I'm fortunate that my place is near enough the road system that I was able to snowmachine in all my 2x material but I used an alaskan mill to make beams and T&G for the floor and ceiling to keep costs down. I agree with everything qkayak said. In addition I would recommend painting the log ends as soon as you cut them to help prevent checking. I use anchor seal and it works great but I hear latex paint works well too. Make sure you've got a saw that is big enough I started out using a stihl 310 but found a used 076 that moves through the wood much quicker. Also look into getting, or filing down, ripping chain with the narrowest kerf chain that will run on your saw.
    A great place to go for info on chainsaw milling is http://www.arboristsite.com/
    They've got a whole forum devoted to milling and are great guys to ask questions to.

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

TMS
    I have wanted a logosal mill for about 8 years now I am getting one this year. They are great. What saw did you get the husky 385xp or the stil 660. Have you got it set up yet. I gess thats the hardest part.
    Everthing you need to know is in the logosal owners forums.
    http://www.logosolforum.com/us/ Where are you located. where is your property.. I have 5 acers on upper fish creek lake by lake creek and i have another 5 acers right on the yetna across from lake creek.
    The logosal isnt the fastest mill but the quality of the lumber is alot better than most mills in the 6 to 10 thousand dollor range They have won several mill shootouts for quality. Did you get the extension so it will do 16 foot logs.... Im going to get the half mill extension so i can do24 ft logs.
    They make the nicest beams.
    Spring time is the best time like right now not much sap and they cut good. Do you have lake front it would be great you could set it up on the lake and you could haul logs with the snogo and a sled.
    Lance

I have land in s.e. that has alot of old growth Sitka spruce, 5'-6' dia. Is there a mill that can handle this size? I would like to have beams 40'x24". Can this be done?

Default Mobile Dimension

A Mobile Dimension (brand) sawmill can process logs that big.
    In God We Trust.

Just a link that might help:

www.forestryforum.com

Its got alot of good info.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

a home owner cant get better then a lucas mill...

http://www.baileysonline.com/category.asp?CatID=195

as for the rest of your loggin intrest these guys will meet those as well...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default We just purchased a remote piece of property

Stick frame a small 12 x 10 etc, something that can be done in 2 weekends or so. I have remote property for going on 5 summers this year. Built a 12 x 10 last summer, wish I did this right off the get go. Tents get old fast with little ones. Get a good warm, dry, solid shelter and work on the rest later. It is yours now and is not going anywhere. Plus makes a good bear shelter. Good luck
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Forestryforum is a great place for advice, good people there.

Lucus makes a great saw, I owned one and was happy with it.

I also owned a Lumbermate by Norwood, that was a very good mill!

Chainsaw mills work good too, slow but they do what they say.

Good luck with your project!