Thread: Lightweight bonesaw for sheep skulls

Default Lightweight bonesaw for sheep skulls

I am cutting weight for my sheep adventures and am wondering what is out there for light bone saws. I have a Wyoming Saw (break down) good for moose not sheep. Tried the Coleman folding camp saw, but flimsy. I like to make clean cuts and loose 10LBS of bone any ideas? What do you use?
    Pick A Spot

Default Gerber

I use the folding Gerber with the wood and meat cutting blades. It may be shaped like the Coleman but this is a quality, sharp, lightweight saw that I have used on several sheep and goats to lighten my load.

Default Gerber

How long is the saw blade ? How much does it weigh ? My gripe with the Coleman is that when you cut the skull the blade cant go through, so you have to go from one side to the other and the blade tends to flex. So the gerber is more rigid?
    Pick A Spot

Nuther vote for the Gerber!

Default use the small

wyoming, but the kids bought me a gerber for christmas, so will have to see!

Default My bone saw is....

a lone heavy Duty hack saw blade with a Duct Tape handle that fits into the uprights of my pack frame. It's light weight and very strong if you use it on the "pull-stroke" i.e. the teeth are facing toward you. The Duct Tape handle is neatly wrapped cause you always need spare duct tape/100 MPH Tape to secure and fix stuff in the field. It ain't pretty but works just fine for my needs.....
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the shadow is mine and so is the valley. Thy Glock and thy M14 comfort me in days of civil unrest and terror

Default That Sounds like a winner

I like the hack saw idea Long enough, light enough, with duct tape!!! I like the way you think !
    Pick A Spot

Mik,

If you're into European mounts at all you can get by without any saw...otherwise, the cheap folders seem to work OK.

I use a knapp bone saw I got as a boy quite some time ago. They were manufactured in Elko Nevada and I think they are long out of business. I suspect ebay might have one occasionally, as they seem to have everything else. They are hands down the saw you want for mountain hunting...sturdy, light, small enough for easy packing, rugged. Find one and buy it...you won't be disappointed. I once (accidentally) left mine at a kill site and hiked back 4 miles each way to go back and get it...that was on top of the 11 miles we put in that day...it was a sheep hunt, so you know it was painful.

Default Gerber vote here

Only reason I use this over the hacksaw/duct tape is for the wood blade. Sure makes life easier getting through some of those tangled messes.

Default Gerber

The gerber saw is a great light weight option. This is the set-up I use: Gerber saw, CRKT Bwana knife, gerber sharpening stick. Everything fits in the saw's case like it was meant to be, and it all weighs a total of 12 oz.

Default Gerber here also

However, I do have a caveat. There are a few different models. The first one I had worked just ok--the blade was too flimsy. I think I lost it up on the slope cutting up a couple of caribou (or my buddy ended up with it). So I bought another one, but a different model. It is very nice, although slightly heavier. This new one has a nice stiff blade, plenty long enough for a sheep skull (I used it for that purpose last year). Here is a link for the new one. I would recommend it.

http://www.knivesplus.com/gerber-gat...-gb-41457.html

Sierra saw by Couglain (sp?), sold at better Wal-marts everywhere. light, effective, replaceable blade. Although the hacksaw thing sounds interesting.

Default wire saw.

Wire saws work great. Cut bones, skulls, antlers, wood ect. The lighest possibility out there. Attach some P cord for a lonnger stroke for cutting higher wood branches ect. Veterinarians have spools of this(for cutting cattle and sheep horns and bones during surgery) and you can probably can get some for minimal cost from them. I made my own saw. I carry 3 feet of it in my survival kit whever I go. Can get this one off ebay for $11.00 with shipping, a great deal in my oponion.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Commando-Wire-Sa...QQcmdZViewItem

Default Very Cool

Thanks for sharing all the ideas, I appreciate the info!!!
    Pick A Spot