Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polar Bears on the Kenai Peninsula

Default Polar Bears on the Kenai Peninsula

I read a history of the Kenai Peninsula a few months back and it claimed polar bears were present as little as 60 or so years ago. I haven't seen this info in other references, but I couldn't figure why they would make it up either. Anyone have further details?

Well my father in law has been here that long & he never mentioned any... He used to guide for polar bear up north in the late 50s-early 60s (as well as moose & bear locally) so I think he would heve mentioned running into any around here.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I was very skeptical when I read it, but from a historical reference I didn't see why they would make a mistake like that. Poor editing I suppose.

That's funny.

I've heard old accounts of them floating by Kodiak. But, those were from longer ago than 60 years. And, equally subject to question.

I think what happens in these stories is that people confuse two places or merge two memories.

60 years ago was well within the era of photography.

I do know someone that saw a polar bear in Eagle River, but, that was after hours behind the wheel with no sleep.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Remember a winter or two ago when local hunters killed a polar bear right outside of Fort Yukon. Everyone was astounded how far south that bear had roamed. It was unheard of. Well, Ft. Yukon is still above the Arctic Circle. I too have been stomping around the KP since the '60s and I have yet to see or hear of one. Maybe there was a white morph someone spotted and it was reported as a polar bear.

Last year they caught on here in Noorvik, 60 miles inland, from Kotzebue Sound, and this year they caught on in Noatak Village, also a consitterable distance inland.

Female Polar Bears go inland to den up and have cubs.

The ice has thinned out so much, its been ten years since Polar Bears, Walrus, Beluga and mny kinds of Seals have been common in the Sound.
    All are doing things diferently now.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Last year they caught on here in Noorvik, 60 miles inland, from Kotzebue Sound, and this year they caught on in Noatak Village, also a consitterable distance inland.

Female Polar Bears go inland to den up and have cubs.

The ice has thinned out so much, its been ten years since Polar Bears, Walrus, Beluga and mny kinds of Seals have been common in the Sound.
    All are doing things diferently now.
    Remind me to remind you to remind me to enlist you when the ice issue comes up again - we know it will.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Talking Hmmmm

never heard of that......but then again they said black tails are not in anchorage area.....until a pic was taken

Maybe I should go out and search the peninsula for the summer, sort of like that hunt for the ivory-billed woodpecker down in Arkansas. maybe someone will pay me to do so?

Default They do wander

Polar bears are great wanderers. Barry Lopez who wrote "arctic dreams" describes them being found on the top of mountains hundreds of miles inland, and even one that had wandered to within a few hundred miles of New York near the St. Lawrence seaway - the Sangquey river I believe, down from Hudson Bay...

Default They're There!

The polar bears that you all are looking for live right next to where everyone sees the cougars......happy hunting :)

I think that there is a potential for those seeing polar bears on the Kenai to die a violent death. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=49478

That thar bar be danc'in! puff puff give!

Skeptics! All of you!

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    The polar bears that you all are looking for live right next to where everyone sees the cougars......happy hunting :)
    Would that be somewhere near the mule deer around salcha?

I'll buy cougars trespassing.... They don't know our borders.

I'll buy mulies trespassing.

I saw deer tracks near Seward before any were "proven" to be in the vicinity.

But, I will accept elk in Kenai before a polar bear.

Default Don't forget African lions

I recall a few years ago someone swore they saw an African lion down there - and it was somebody's St. Bernard shaved for the summer.

Default Pre-historically, yes

They have found polar bear bones around Katchemak Bay. I believe Janet Klein mentioned them in her book about archaeology on K-Bay... or maybe it was in Frederika deLaguna's book... can't remember.

I have seen cougars/ Mtn lions along the Alaska/Canada border... well only 2 in about 10 years apart. But Polar Bears on the Kenai Pen, I find that hard to belive. Now maybe the Seward penninsula, 60 or so years ago, I could belive. I read in a field and stream a number of years ago that bored oil field workers killed all the wolves on the arctic coast. I think some of these JOURNALISTS need to have a reality check.
    Last edited by 2dawgs; 03-09-2009 at 01:02. Reason: clarity and wisdom

When did somebody see a black tail in anchorage?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast