Thread: Fishing for Kings in the MatSu

Default Fishing for Kings in the MatSu

Looking for some advice here. My dad is coming to visit between June 14 and July 6th. We will likely spend most of our time at lakes just fishing for little trout (he prefers eating trout to salmon), but would like to get him out to try for some Kings while he is here. Thinking of just having him get a 3 day pass, trying Ship Creek a couple days and maybe a day up in the valley.

Any suggestions on where to go? I'm pretty sure anywhere will be pretty crowded but are there any rivers that see less traffic, and any places to avoid as far as access? My dad has some health issues that seem to be hit or miss each day, that limit our ability to hike around much. I'm pretty limited on fishing experience in general. Fished Ship Creek a bit last year for kings, but never landed one. Most of my fishing experience last summer was on the Russian and a couple trips to Jims Creek.

Without hiking a bit you will run into crowds. I would sugest for those with limited abilities try the eklutna trailraces. They are as easy to access as it gets, and quite often there is enough space that you can relax a bit.

Ship creek would be good just for the atmosphere. Combat fishing at its finest! At least he might get to see a few fish taken even if he doesn't hook up.

If you don't want to pay for a charter, I'd recommend combat fishing at the mouth of the Willow toward the end of his trip. Again, he will get to see fish taken and experience the combat atmosphere, but he will also have a good chance of getting hold of a hawg (probably better odds than at Ship crk).

Walking access is easy for both streams BTW.

If you want to drop a few bucks on a charter, hit the Little Su or the Deshka. Spend the day on the boat and have a great time with or without fish.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

you would definately wanna try sheep creek, montana creek, willow creek for kings and trout/grayling , and little su river has fun day charters for kings and trout, as for lakes i would try in talkeetna north or south friend lake (montana lake), kepler bradley lakes in palmer, and big lake in wasilla... farther south in kenai, you could try a great hole i know for kings, reds, dollies and trout in soldotna, called the funny river campground...easy wheelchair access...

Thanks for the quick replies. Have to look in to that Funny River Camp Ground, he's not quite wheelchair bound, but has breathing issues so has good days and bad days.

We haven't ruled out a charter yet, but we've already got a halibut charter booked for 1 weekend so have to look at our finances are going closer to the time. I've also heard you can get some good deals during the sportsman show, so may check around during that.

Default breathing issues

I don't know where your dad is from, but my first stunt when arriving at the airport is to bust out thru the doors and take several deep breaths. Even mixed with taxi cab smog and jet fuel that "spuce flavored" air will give you new life. Find some wheels and get out of los anchorage and he will be amazed at how much better he will feel. Ever run an engine on stale gas? Humans are no different. Feed it good fuel, fresh fish,clean stream water, and clean air. Die when your suppose to.

Default deshka

You might want to stay away from the Deshka for kings this year.

That time of year should have lots of kings at sheep, willow, goose, little willow, and Montana. The little su is also worth a try as well.

Since you are in the valley already, Lake Lucille and finger lake can sometimes be good trout lakes.

Call Tri-River Charters in Talkeetna. They have some fairly reasonable priced charters for kings on the Talkeetna River, and that time should be prime for that and Clear Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Call Tri-River Charters in Talkeetna. They have some fairly reasonable priced charters for kings on the Talkeetna River, and that time should be prime for that and Clear Creek.
    Talkeetna also has some nice trout lakes, and the south bank of the Talkeetna River, right by the railroad bridge is a nice spot for Kings and Silvers.

The others have commented on the good fishing spots. I just want to stress that when fishing the Mat-su, please read the regs and follow all of the rules. The cops and fish/game do a great job of blending in down there and are always out in force during the peak run of the Kings.

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Salmon Sith View Post
    The others have commented on the good fishing spots. I just want to stress that when fishing the Mat-su, please read the regs and follow all of the rules. The cops and fish/game do a great job of blending in down there and are always out in force during the peak run of the Kings.
    Nod, last year when I was getting introduced to the fishing up here several people stressed this to me. I checked the website for emergency orders every time before I leave to fish as well.

Try locating a trip on EZHUNTNFISH.com they have some openings left for trout and salmon charters in all the the valley streams.