Thread: Trailering info?

Default Trailering info?

I have recently aquired a boat of considerable size. It measures 9 feet 2 inches wide. Who do I contact for info about towing. And what ,in your experiences, do I need to do to be able to tow this boat? Legalities and permits??? Thanks for any info.

Contact the department of transportation. They are located in the Huffman Business Park in S. Anchorage. Anything over 8.5' needs the permit, a strobe, and oversize banners on the front of the vehicle as well as the back of the boat. Currently, if the boat is over 10' you will need a pilot car, too. This is set to change this summer. Here is a link to get you started: http://www.dot.state.ak.us/mscve/main.cfm?go=permits

Congrats on the new boat. What kind did you get?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Thanks SpoiledOne

Default Just did that yesterday

I have a 9'7" wide boat, googled the DOT website and called the nice lady at DOT and she walked me through the whole thing and in a few minutes, I had a wide-load permit for $250.00. Pretty easy to do. She also said that they have been waiting for the 10'6" rule for a few years now and is not a sure thing that it would be implemented anytime soon.