Thread: Towable frieghthaulers?

Default Towable frieghthaulers?

Need a little help here guy's.

I'm planning on running the boat from Bellingham to Ketchikan, inner passage.

Any ideas or suggestions on what to use to haul some gear behind the boat?

I do have a tow post mounted and I have a diesel engine, boats only 20ft so I need some extra space to haul some gear up. I'm in the planning phase and have some time and extra money. Will be spending a month in Seattle prepping for the journey so picking something up in the Puget Sound is preferred.

Any and all ideas are appreciated.

Sorry, forgot about the weight factor.

I'm thinking all the heavy schtuff will come out to between 5,000 to 7,500 pounds. Let's say 10,000 pounds tops.

Default tow north

It seems to me more information is needed to answer your question.
    What is the speed of the boat you are using? To tow high speed may cost a large amount of fuel. Are you going to have a use for the vessel you tow after you get to Alaska?
    Control of the towed vessel when it is rough may also be a concern, are you sure it would not be cheaper to just freight the items to Alaska and have more enjoyment on the trip north by not towing?

Speed?
    Not in this one. 4 to 12mph for towing depending on the load. Top end is 20 mph. She was set up and used for towing by a boat yard.

Keeping the boat when we get there. Might consider keeping the towable or selling it.

Fuel economy on this one would make you cry, she's a sipper.

I'll be sending a full container ahead of me, wife will be on the ferry with the dually, towing her car on a flatbed. Going to tuck the trailer in the container.

This will be a "slow boat from hell" kind of trip with two of us on board. Plenty of fuel, survival suits, life raft. And lots of time.

20' seems awfully small for that kind of a trip even without towing something behind.

But she rides like a big boy. I've run from L.A. to Ensenada. Been in the slop lot's of times 90 miles offshore hunting tuna. She's got a keeled hull and center mount engine.

Been on all size's of boats for over 45 years, in all sorts of weather salt and fresh. I have had some hairy trips, but always make it back to the dock in one piece.

Using the 7 P's here. I know it can be done. Safely.

Here's a pic of her.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like a Shamrock to me, good luck . I'd put it on a trailer even if i had to make 2 trips.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

She's a beauty...

Oy, I took one look at your boat and thought "I wouldnt make that trip in that boat in a million years"

Its a nice looking boat, but you're looking at a whole lot of time exposed to big water and will be unable to run into a cove if something blows up because of the tow weight.
    And its completely open, if you get a rogue wave over the side it'll swamp you rather than slide off a hard top.

I've spent a good bit of time in the San Juans up by Vancouver island (beautiful BTW) in a Carver 26 foot and I've had the cr@p scared out of me on more than one occasion because of big waves where I didnt expect any to be.

Like the other post recommended, make 2 trips.

Default Davy Jones

going to be seeing you shortly - hope your bildge pumps work real good!

Default Different Water up North

Your not comparing apples and oranges. You've used that boat on trips from LA to Encenada thats a nice ride. Different weather regime and different sea currents. Inland passage is a challenge. Depending on the season it can be downright treacherous. You can have 40 yrs experience and be a great boater but it only takes a second to experience your last moment. For the cost of a trailer and some fuel you'll be ensured to get to AK to enjoy that nice boat. Seriously consider the input from the folks on this forum.

Default Unclesurf gee whiz

Only unclesurf knows his skills along with his boat, and what to pull and what not to. I had a friend that took his 19 foot yes 19 foot from Seattle to Hains, powered by a 292 Chevy straight 6cyl, strapped a 55 gallon drum or two down in the back and headed out. Funny thing was he did the return trip too.
    He was highly quilified, took him the whole summer. eat a lot of fish too. Had to be an adventure of a life time. Like the the 10,000 documented hours I got.

Towing it a different matter, if i had my pick I pick on a inflatable to tow. But thats a lot of weight so limit that as much as you can.

Alaska's not he only place in the world with weather that can hurt you, my goodness!

Thanks guys and keep it coming!

Talk me out of this with reason.

I hate to sound like a DA by putting this out there, but if I don't know, I ask.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskapiranha View Post
    Only unclesurf knows his skills along with his boat, and what to pull and what not to. I had a friend that took his 19 foot yes 19 foot from Seattle to Hains, powered by a 292 Chevy straight 6cyl, strapped a 55 gallon drum or two down in the back and headed out. Funny thing was he did the return trip too.
    He was highly quilified, took him the whole summer. eat a lot of fish too. Had to be an adventure of a life time. Like the the 10,000 documented hours I got.

Towing it a different matter, if i had my pick I pick on a inflatable to tow. But thats a lot of weight so limit that as much as you can.

Alaska's not he only place in the world with weather that can hurt you, my goodness!
    My kind of guy. And without the towable behind, I'm up for it. Just trying to figure out how to get all this up there without two containers.

And yes, adventure. Risk. Danger. Makes life a whole lot more interesting.

I've got 500 mile range with the twin tanks below and I have yellow cans holding another 15gls on deck. Plenty of fuel. I do all the maintenance and repair work on my boat and I do know her well.

IMHO, by herself and just me on board it's doable. All the safety gear and then some. Spares, extra bilge pumps below deck and what "they" call self draining decks. Learned my lesson about those drains the hard way coming back from Catalina late one day. Two guys in back with buckets and white knuckles bailing for all they were worth. Quartering waves off the port bow up and over the P/H. Still made it to the dock.

Call me Capt'n NuckinFutts, but I'm still making plans. A, B, C, D, E and F.

Just in case.

Default Haven't done it can't advise but....

Only a 20 footer? 4 college kids did it in wooden canoes in the 1930's, read the book "Cruise of the Blue Flujin" by Ken Wise (he lives by me!).

Better yet, Betty Lowman Carey did it back then too in a rowboat her dad found floating around somewhere in Puget Sound.....her book is called "Bijaboji -- North to Alaska by Oar".

Well, they weren't towing anything!

BTW, I only have 6 "P's" in my repertoir, so you got one to spare~~~~ So good luck, and keep a journal, you may need to write a book after this!

Yes, that kind of trip in that boat is definately book writing material. Can it be done? Maybe. Would I do it? Not a chance, not even for a lot of money.