Thread: Service manuals-Clymer or manufacturer's?

Default Service manuals-Clymer or manufacturer's?

I need the service manual for my Polaris. I looked around and saw the Clymer manuals.

Has anybody ever used a Clymer manual?

Any direct comparisons with the manufacturer's manual?

Thanks.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I visit several ATV specific forums. Occasionally I come across a link to download various service manuals. Since I am sort of a pack rat, I downloaded any that I could find. I may never need them, but what the heck, they are free and maybe I can help somebody else with them.

Most of them are factory manuals, but a couple are published by some other company. I can't say for sure they are Clymer, but I almost think they are. So for sake of discussion, I will say they are..

The biggest difference I can see it the Clymer are written for the backyard mechanic with a good mechanical ability. They also cover multiple years of the same model so you have to pay attention when thing change year to year. It should work fine for most people. The average rider isn't going to go deep in the engine or transmission, but the info is there if you want it.

The OEM manuals are written for technicians that work on the machines daily. Actually, the Polaris has a statement in front that says it's primary use is for Certified Polaris master service technicians. They also seem to be more model specific, within the year. By this I mean Polaris Sportsman 700 and 800 are in the same book, but they are all the same year.

I don't know if the Clymer is available in electronic format. If it is, that is how I would go. You can print out only the pages you need and take them to the garage. You alway have clean pages, not a book with greasy fingerprints all over it.

Whichever you decide, it is a worthwhile investment. The first time you repair your own machine will pay for the book.

I had a clymer for my honda and it made me feel like I could do any repairs needed on the machine. I had a manufacturers manual for my Polaris and was scared to even start. If you can get a clymer for your year and model you get more out of it.

Thanks. That's the information that I was looking for. I can get the Clymer for the Polaris. I picked up an '02 Kawasaki 650 Prairie. I can't find any manuals for that except the Factory ($80).

Dreamer, you wouldn't happen to have the '02 Kawasaki 650 (Prairie or KVF) manual, would you?
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I don't have one for the 650. I do have one for the KVF 750. I think it is for 2005. I don't know anything about Kawasaki so I can't say how much changes were made over the years, besides the motor.