Thread: X country ski's help

Default X country ski's help

I want to get a fair set of used x country ski's for using on my haul road hunt in april, I would like them just incase I might need them. I haven't been on x country ski's in 16yrs when i was in junor high but I think I was pretty good on them and i don't know a dang thing about them and what type I should look for can some one give me some advise thanks

was trying to find the link to another thread on this topic just several months ago, but couldn't find it myself. someone else was looking into skis for the same thing.

skis: not sure the time of year you are going. would look at a ski maybe around 70 mm wide at the waist. i would get waxless skis, they have the "scales" in the middle of the ski that grip and allow you to push yourself forward. you could even go up to 90 mm in backcountry classical skis, as you will be off trails and using them as a ski/snowshoe combo. of course get skis with metal edges.

bindings: i would go with backountry nnn bindings and of course a boot that is compatible. i used to have the alpinas, but recently switched to karhu boots.

look at rei, they are getting rid of all their ski stuff now (early for alaska, but they are on the same schedule at the national chain) as they should have some good deals

i'm some others here have some good info for you too

Default might need some prctice

I would suggest that if you have not been on skis in over 15 years that you don't start on a back country hunting trip. The slope in spring is really fun on skis but it can be fairly challanging. The snow consistency can be variable causing some frustrations and wet cloths for a novice. I would suggest walking or snowshoeing at least you know what you will be getting that way.

That being said I agree with the post above...a wide back country type ski with metal edges and a stout set of 3 pin or NNN bindings. I gave up on my NNN bindings after they froze up on me a couple of different times. I switched to 3-pins, but they have their quirks as well. I would also invest in some skins for getting out of there with a pulk loaded with gear and meat it can be nearly impossible to get enough kick on even a slight incline. Make sure that you have back country baskets on your poles or you could get frustrated blowing through the crust with smaller baskets.

Good Luck and have fun

good points above... use skins, as you won't go far when pulling a sled/pulk. use poles that you can extend to a lot longer then you may use hiking, or else they will end up too short when they punch deeper then you are standing.