Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrangell/Chitna River area sheep and goat hunts pictures...

Default Wrangell/Chitna River area sheep and goat hunts pictures...

Hey everyone i need some pics of sheep or goat hunts in the Chitna River area of the wrangells, scenery shots mostly, don't need flight info or number of animals or anything, i'm just looking for some scenery pictures to get an idea on what the country is like, ANYTHING....
    pm them to me or post them here is fine.
    just never see much from the wrangells on this forum...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Fought a 4500' cloud ceiling all week - cleared up the day we hiked out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

cool pics, no one else has pictures???!
    Master guide 212

You better stick to kodiak,i don't think you could handle the dry weather.....

Default Above the White River

Here is a couple
    Attached Images Attached Images

what did you guys do for water back in there? do you have to carry it everywhere or is there enough run off and springs to keep the bag wet?
    i might end up in there somewhere on a goat hunt this oct but i don't know where or if its forsure yet, just wanted some photos to get me some idea on the questions i need to be asking....
    thanks for the photos..keep em coming!
    Master guide 212

Default Water

Not sure which area you are hunting or where you drew, but up where I was at good water was easy to find.
    I am not sure about your permit but if it covers both sides of the road to Valdez, check out the Halet.
    This is one area I was glad to see go permit. It was way over hunted by Transporter.
    Health providing in a few more years, I will start putting in for this draw,
    That's for Sheep, the Goat hunting has always been good. Took my 1st goat there

i'm gonna be guiding goats for paul claus back in the barnard/hawkins/maccoll ridge area is my understanding...
    Master guide 212

Why not ask paul,i'd say he has more info about the area then all of us combined......

when guides talk to guides there are things in the converstion that just go flying by cause we take everything for granted...asking about water is one of those things. To paul its all old hat, second nature, not something he'd think to mention and something i'd forget to ask cause i'm hitting him with bigger questions, like logistics,gear, timing, weather blah blah
    this time of year he's not the eaisest guy to get ahold of, much easier to type something and just check it whenver and get the info that way. Besides, everyone has different expereinces in the same location, good to get a broad perspective on things and go in with an open mind.
    i just wanted pics of the areas to get an idea on terrain, asking about water availibity was something i didn't think of till someone mentioned "dry"and i saw the pics. I'm not gonna try to get ahold of paul just to ask him that...
    don't worry, you won't see me in there with a sheep camp next year....settin' up dummy tents and spotting from the air...just wanted some geographical information.
    Master guide 212

Lots of water,hanging ice fields etc.......with goats you'll always find some water,i can't remember the last goat hunt that i went on and had any problem finding water,i'm confident that you will not have any problem....

thanks sheep man, sorry if you felt i was encroaching on some secret...just looking for some info. Thanks a million to Vek for all the pictures! appreciate the help!
    Master guide 212

I shot a ram just up the mountain behind Claus' camp in 2006. He buzzed us with his plane so I assumed that he was pleased with our success Three of us hiked from the river up to the top. Should of taken more H2O than we did. After the quart we each ahd ran out, we sucked on crow berries just to wet our mouths. One of our party found a small seep. He tried to drink from it but just got a mouthfull of mud. I was close to partaking as well as I was so thirsty. We luckily found a small stream at dark. Otherwise it would have been a long night and an even uglier trek down the next morning.

I learned form this experience to carry 3 liters of H2O with me if I don't know where my next water source is. **** the extra weight. When your tongue is swollen like a lizard frying on a flat rock in the sun, the mass of that water on your back feels good.

Default Barnard Glacier

Might of miss-spelled it, but if you find yourself over looking Barnard, Tip your hat to Marty Phelps, he is still up there somewhere. Tom was in the wrong place at the right time on a sheep hunt and got buried under an estimated 30 tons of Ice. According to all records Tom and his brother Mike was doing everything right, they were just in the wrong place at the right itme.
    Awful lost of a great outdoorsman. THis happened in August, just after they completed summiting Denali with their Mom in July. She was the 1st blind person to make the summit. They did it unguided on thier 1st attempt!
    So if you would. Please tip your hat to Marty for me.
    Thanks!
    Louis

Default awesome

pictures guys! I can't wait to get up in that country to hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    I can't wait to get up in that country to hunt.
    Me too. I'm hoping to have enough time and experience in a Cub within 3-5 years to make a trip into the Wrangells where the air taxis won't fly folks. That being said, when the time comes I'll need a hunting partner that knows something about the area and can help me find a good spot to put the plane down.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Me too. I'm hoping to have enough time and experience in a Cub within 3-5 years to make a trip into the Wrangells where the air taxis won't fly folks. That being said, when the time comes I'll need a hunting partner that knows something about the area and can help me find a good spot to put the plane down.
    Allow be to be the first in line!

Default Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Putting a plane down isn't hard just press forward on the yoke ! It's getting it back up that counts !
    LoL
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

i'll give marty a nod and tell him a story....
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast