Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Won't do that again.

Default Won't do that again.

I just dressed and quartered my moose by myself for the first time. It took about as long as you'd guess it would, with the lack of a chainsaw and all, and after I dulled all my knives (and discovered I didn't have the means to sharpen them), I started thinking how this was a lovely experience, but one I won't soon repeat - I can handle a caribou on my own, but quartering and packing out a whole moose on foot by my lonesome is a bit too much without running myself into the ground.

So, my question to you all is, what have you done (once, twice, maybe three times), and have sworn never to do again?

everything i've sworn i'd never do again...i've done again.
    if it came down to no moose or doing it myself...i'd do it myself.
    Had some ridges i've went over for animals that i said i'd never do again, one day hikes i said i'd never do again, clients i said i'd never guide again, shots i said i'd never take again...
    Hard to stop pushing myself, hate having something beat me down like that, i wanna be able to say i can do it and will do it if i need to.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by mrkc View Post
    I just dressed and quartered my moose by myself for the first time. It took about as long as you'd guess it would, with the lack of a chainsaw and all, and after I dulled all my knives (and discovered I didn't have the means to sharpen them), I started thinking how this was a lovely experience, but one I won't soon repeat - I can handle a caribou on my own, but quartering and packing out a whole moose on foot by my lonesome is a bit too much without running myself into the ground.

So, my question to you all is, what have you done (once, twice, maybe three times), and have sworn never to do again?
    Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Had some ridges i've went over for animals that i said i'd never do again, one day hikes i said i'd never do again, clients i said i'd never guide again, shots i said i'd never take again...
    Hard to stop pushing myself, hate having something beat me down like that, i wanna be able to say i can do it and will do it if i need to.

Yea that !

Wow.... The list goes on & on lets see marrige comes to mind,yea that moose thing alone, drinking yea I think that counts as well.

Man I dont even like shooting moose anymore, if it werent for the freezer full of meat that we so enjoy, I'd never shoot another one!

If you don't swear you'll never do it again, then you didn't work hard enough

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    Heh. I guess that's true. I suppose none of us are capable of learning from history, if we're all doing the same things over and over again.

Hmmm...that's a good question. I've sworn that I'll never cut open another stomach again while gutting an animal. Try as I might, I doubt I'll be able to keep that promise 100% of the time.

I've also sworn that I won't climb down from a goat hunt in late October by a route I'm not familiar with. On my very first goat hunt, my father told me to always go down the way I go up. That was some sage advice, particularly for that time of year, and I completely ignored it. I'm fairly certain that's the closest I've ever come to dying in the mountains, and I don't intend to repeat that mistake. I'll still break the rule when the ground is dry, but when the rocks are covered in 1/8" of glare ice, I think I'll stick to this one.

Usually the never again feeling last about 2-3 days then I convience myself it was not too bad.

I got a kick out of this thread. I have been there done that with a lot of these "never do again" themes.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post

it takes a bit.. i did 5 2 for us and 3 for my buddies that shot them.(last year).. i do a moose on my own in about our and a half - two hours. bagged and ready to haul.

usually about 9 pieces. big ones go to 11 so i can lift them.. get a good portable bone saw. out door edge makes a great one. mine is going on 8 years or so... and still runs great. the first one SUCKED 100 yards from the truck 1000 yards around the beaver pond, in the dark, and a big big BEAR circling all night.

the one thing i said i would never do again,, was when i put the last log on my first log home....30x40 my self and my 10 yr old step son... the next year i was working as project manager for the guy i bought my package from.. since then started my own company, and have built nearly 30 since 2003.....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Have to agree with BRWNBR...all but one of the times I've done something I didn't want to do again it was a factor of not being prepared either with the right equipment, without the appropriate mental state, or without the proper physical conditioning.

The one exception was packing out a sheep. There was an 8-10' ledge that overlooked a 1000'-1500' drop. We could either take 2 perilous steps that would hold about 1/2 the width of our feet with no hand holds above us to cross the ledge, or find another route down and around. We were tired enough to probably make the wrong decision and my partner, who's 6'4", went first. He took two blind steps, hit the foot holds precisely and made it across. I went next, and my 5'9" frame had to jump to the foot holds with a good 75 pounds of sheep(no camp) on my back. My foot caught the ledge and my ankle almost gave out...which literally would have sent me shooting straight down for hundreds of feet. I made it, although we both swore at ourselves for being so foolish...however as soon as we crossed the abyss we spotted a group of rams and my buddy was able to harvest his sheep...so the moral of the story must be 'with great risk comes great reward'...or 'even stupid idiots get lucky sometimes'

Not me, I passed on 40-45" moose a few years ago that was in the water on the edge of a lake, about belly deep. He never got out during daylight and I left at dark. BTDT too, never again!

Quote Originally Posted by sockeye1 View Post
    Have to agree with BRWNBR...all but one of the times I've done something I didn't want to do again it was a factor of not being prepared either with the right equipment, without the appropriate mental state, or without the proper physical conditioning.

The one exception was packing out a sheep. There was an 8-10' ledge that overlooked a 1000'-1500' drop. We could either take 2 perilous steps that would hold about 1/2 the width of our feet with no hand holds above us to cross the ledge, or find another route down and around. We were tired enough to probably make the wrong decision and my partner, who's 6'4", went first. He took two blind steps, hit the foot holds precisely and made it across. I went next, and my 5'9" frame had to jump to the foot holds with a good 75 pounds of sheep(no camp) on my back. My foot caught the ledge and my ankle almost gave out...which literally would have sent me shooting straight down for hundreds of feet. I made it, although we both swore at ourselves for being so foolish...however as soon as we crossed the abyss we spotted a group of rams and my buddy was able to harvest his sheep...so the moral of the story must be 'with great risk comes great reward'...or 'even stupid idiots get lucky sometimes'
    God, I've done that. Especially when I was stuck in the blasted furnace that is Utah. Lots of canyons with really sharp edges where I frequently did stupid things. Each time I'd swear I'd put keep distance between me and the cliff from then on. And then the next time, I'd be staring bugeyed down the rocky drop off, thanking every deity I could think of that I grabbed a shrub in time, or caught my footing, or what have you. Yeah, I'm with you - I think fate favours us stupid people some times!

There was this sheep valley access I swore off after coming out in a storm with a sheep on my back. Three years later, there I was again...

Sliding down a steep wet Kodiak mountain in the thick brush with a camp and a bloody deer on my back. Landed on my back more times than I can count. I'll be back.

Driving the Alcan and the Liard Hwy in the dead of winter. Pulled that one twice in the same year. Broke down both times.

After swearing off a particular adventure, I always start thinking a few months later: "shoot, if I was in a little better shape, those alders on the right side of the valley don't look quite as thick... how bad can it be?"

Yk

I dropped a huge Moose by myself in a bad rain storm and it was just miserable ... I even had mosquitoes bitting me in the rain.
    I did have good knifes and sharpener with me but when I was done I was completely spent and completely soaked.
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Default just my thoughts

Well it was 4 years ago I believe--and it was the hottest sheep season ever, up in the 80s I believe, my wife dropped me off at the base of a mountian---that I had to hike over to get into Wolverine creek---and then I was supposed to hike up thru wolverine creek, so that evening I spent 4 hours getting up to the top of the mountain, then I set up camp, woke up to a beautiful sunrise, and numerous moose in the area. So I packed up my gear and began my descent to find the trail, it got warm quick--and I ran out of water--and the next water hole was the river below, well 6 hours later I made it to the bottom, got my water resupplied--and started trying to find the trail---only to find deadfall all around, I spent a couple hours searching---before I realized--that i had to hike back to the top, thru the middle of the days heat,--knowing that I still had to get back down--did i happen to mention I ran out of water by the second hour of my climb?? I basically would hike as far as my heart would let me, then I would set down and let my heart rate get back to normal. I remember getting to a watering spot---boy was that good tasting. I was a mess, and I realized that if something had happened to me, no one would probably find me, I hadnt taken a personal beacon as a safety precaution. I made it up to the top after 8 hours, made a call to my wife, and told her to come get me, that I was a mess, so I began my descent, it took 2 hours, some of it I slid on my rear end. I got to the bottom and the wife wasnt there yet, I started getting hyperthermic, pulled everything that I had in my pack out and put it on, she showed up 30 min later, what a sight. I drank a 32 oz gatorade, then stepped on the scales and I had dropped 12lbs in 24 hours.

Later that fall I went on a solo moose hunt---took a personal beacon with me, dropped my moose, spent 4 days getting him back to camp, I got sick the first day packing--took forever to get my heart rate back to normal

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Not me, I passed on 40-45" moose a few years ago that was in the water on the edge of a lake, about belly deep. He never got out during daylight and I left at dark. BTDT too, never again!
    The only legal moose I saw this year was about 6 miles away in the middle of a swamp and the sun was setting. He was a big one too, but the risk was just too great. Wish the wind would have shifted so we could have called him in.
    Chris Willhoite

Oh man you guys give me something to look forward to. I'll b dropped on a lake in 21B 8 days before my partner shows up. Until then I'll be hunting moose alone.

I'm hoping to be able to use the bow since I have the full 21 days to hunt. I think I'm setting myself up for 2 "never agains" though. One to quarter and pack a bull alone. The other will be to shoot one and have him head for the water before going down which is highly likely since I'll be hunting the lake shore the entire time. If a moose on land alone is a no no for some I'd imagine one in waist high water alone would be insane. Like BRWNBR said.... I'll be ready if neccesary. I know one thing.... I'll have all the right tools to make it as painless as possible. Pray for me!

I never have done a moose by myself, done a couple caribou with no problem. I have to agree with most that have posetd, it seems every time i say to my self "I'll never do that again" i always find my self in fact doing what i said that i wont ever do.

Not a moose but.. A few years ago three of us dropped two caribou bulls at the same time about1 1/2 miles from camp, at about 5pm. It took us awhile to properly quarter them up and by the time we got back to camp, it was midnight. I swore I wouldn't take two at the same time again. Well, I didn't but, my brother, my daughter and I were on her first caribou hunt and we stalked a herd coming over a saddle. We did not shoot two at one time, we shot three bulls at one time! And it was about the same time in the evening. By the time we got everything cleaned up, we cached the meat and made it back to camp at about midnight. The meat was 1.1 miles from camp in a straight line and we all know about straight lines in Alaska. We had 16 more loads of meat and the trophies and it took us most of the next day to get it all to camp and taken care of. So much for promises.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast