Thread: My new to me old Savage 1899. (pics)

Default My new to me old Savage 1899. (pics)

Well i thought i would post some pics of a rifle i recently aquired from my Uncle. It used to be my Great Grandfather's and dates back to 1907. Its a Savage 1899 in .303 Savage. My Uncle also gave me 4 full boxes of Imperial CIL 190 grain .303 Savage round nose ammo and one full box of Winchester 190 grain round nose silver tips. There was also 30 brass in the package when i picked it up at my folks place. The gun itself has a 26" octagonal barrel and the rotary magazine with counter that made these 1899/99's famous. Its amazing to see the machining that went on in this rifle way back in 1907. Its in great shape for a 102 year old rifle. I also picked up .303 Savage dies for it last week which really has me excited. I think hunting season next fall will be pretty special if i get to tote this ol girl through the bush.
    The buttstock was damaged years ago and my Uncle made a new one for it. The forearm is original however and matches the serial number. He is an accomplished wood worker and builds violins.

Another gun that will do it all with class.Congrats its a fine piece for sure.

neat rifle and history that goes with it! your rifle was one of THE most popular rifles in the US in the early 1900's.

introduced in 1899, this model was discontinued in 1915. at that time the price was...$19.50-$21.50.

the rifle was first chambered in .303, then .30-30,25-35,32-40, and 38-55

barrel was standard octagon 26" but available up to 30" @ $1.00 extra per inch.

if you are interested in more history, read "the ninty-nine" by murray, and

happy trails.
    jh

jh i very much thank you for the history you touched on!!! I very much appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Win94 View Post
    jh i very much thank you for the history you touched on!!! I very much appreciate it.
    you are welcome! i have a couple of 99's myself and think they are a great rifle.

best of luck with yours..........(make gramps happy and hunt with it)..
    happy trails.

jh

Default Gotta LOVE them old 99's!!!

Yours is cool!
    Lee's book has loads for the .303 if you're interested. Uses regular .308 diameter bullets, and not having a tubular magazine to worry about, any bullet your heart desires can be used in it.
    My own .303, a carbine, liked 170 Hornady's and 748. Someone offered me about four times what I thought it was worth, and let it, ten boxes of ammunition and brass, and a set of Lyman dies go down the road.....flat turrible choice on my part, I still kick my own rump over that deal.
    Brass is going to be your biggest challenge, so keep what you have, and keep your eyes peeled for it wherever you find it. Norma makes it these days, it'd be great if someone like Starline would make a run of it....http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...ber=1311276943
    Have fun with it and enjoy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    Yours is cool!
    Lee's book has loads for the .303 if you're interested. Uses regular .308 diameter bullets, and not having a tubular magazine to worry about, any bullet your heart desires can be used in it.
    My own .303, a carbine, liked 170 Hornady's and 748. Someone offered me about four times what I thought it was worth, and let it, ten boxes of ammunition and brass, and a set of Lyman dies go down the road.....flat turrible choice on my part, I still kick my own rump over that deal.
    Brass is going to be your biggest challenge, so keep what you have, and keep your eyes peeled for it wherever you find it. Norma makes it these days, it'd be great if someone like Starline would make a run of it....http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...ber=1311276943
    Have fun with it and enjoy!!!

Thank you Darreld. While mine is a family heriloom i doubt i will sell it. .......u never know though for the right price!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Win94 View Post
    Thank you Darreld. While mine is a family heriloom i doubt i will sell it. .......u never know though for the right price!!!
    Congrats on getting it, and especially for being proud of it.

I thought I'd pass on that I heard from a friend about his own 303. He's had it for years along with a bunch of other old stuff, all of which he uses regularly. I asked him about his impressions and asked him to compare it with his beloved 30-30. He said that he usually hunts deer with the 30-30, and sometimes he takes the 303 just cuzz he likes it so much. But when it's time for elk or moose, the 303 is his favorite and he never hunts either species with the 30-30. His favorite moose and elk load is the 200 grains Speer 308 spitzer. He didn't recall the powder or load since he loads up a couple hundred rounds every 10 years or so, but he said the extra measure of performance on bigger game was impressive, compared to the 30-30. Hard to argue with his record of success.

Brownbear thank you very much for that. You see i would much rather make a load with a heavier bullet rather than with the 170 grainer or i might as well just stick with my .30-.30. I would like to use the .303 Savage as a firearm that sends a heavier bullet down range. With that 26" barrel i think this would be a great niche for this firearm.