Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Footwear for SE

Default Footwear for SE

I've heard from many sources that the only footwear for SE is Xtratuf knee-highs.

With that said, I have a situation, and I was wondering if I could get some honest opinions on it.

Our group is headed for POW, where we'll hunt bears for five (5) days. Afterwards, none of us has any use for rubber / neoprene boots. Now, I found a place where I can get Xtratufs for $60.00 / pair shipped to my door, but I also found a place where I can get regular rubber knee-highs for $15.00 / pair.

My question is this: If we're only using them for the 5 days on POW, is it necessary that we buy the Xtratufs (or similar quality boots), or can we sufficiently "get away" with the cheaper standard rubber. Again, we'll likely never, ever use them again.

On a similar note, would neoprene waders suffice for those five days? We don't plan on doing much hiking.

Like always, though, I'll leave it to you folks. I trust experience more than anything.

thanks again,
    RW

What does your Guide suggest.

When I hunt spring bear we wear waders. Thigh high like Cabela's Bog Busters ...

Chest waders are way to hot for me .... especially neoprene.

If you happen to choose knee-high's don't wear the $15 pair for anything that take you out of camp, unless you like blisters.

or want to get wet ..... LOL

Swim Trunks and Aqua socks here

Seriously... I'd say that if you already have waders, you can probably make them work for 5 days.

I would also say that you just might be surprised at how useful, and just how often you will wear your xtra tuffs. You might wear them a whole lot more than you think you would even after your hunt.. food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    or want to get wet ..... LOL
    That was funny.

Extra Tuffs are only good on the Beach and Docks ... When you out satlking Bear in the tide water or crossing creeks you need a little more than knee high action going.

Default duct tape them

Which ever way you go, think about duct taping the boots at your ankles to add support. Tried this some years back, and many times since, as suggested by a surveyer that lived in his extra tufs and really appreciated the ankle support it offers.

Why ruin a big money hunt on cheap ammo or boots.Sell your gun and buy a cheaper one and use the money for boots as you wil be walking way more than shooting.JMHO

That's the thing with the Bog Busters ... they have ankle straps. Offer a little more support.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Why ruin a big money hunt on cheap ammo or boots.Sell your gun and buy a cheaper one and use the money for boots as you wil be walking way more than shooting.JMHO
    So...you're saying they're worth it, haha....

Well, I have some thinking to do. Our waders are very comfortable, so I might just go that route. We'll see how the weather is supposed to be (PS other than rainy).

RW

I wouldn't get xts for hunting, not enough support or tread, great if you are gillnetting or on a crab boat, not great if you are bushwhacking through old growth.

Don't know what the hunting is like down there but if I were crossing a bunch of streams I'd just have waders, if I weren't I'd probably get some muck boots or something like that
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

5 days? Just use what you already have.

If you were hunting all season? well I'd put more thought into it....

Left my xtra tuffs at work on a Friday night.

So I used my "LaCrosse waders" on one of my hunts in Ketchikan, thinking they'd be just as good as the xtra tuffs. And they kept my feet dry! and my legs too(and provided a nice wind break).

The only problem I had was that the soles did not grip the very wet ground like the xtra tuffs do. Also when walking on a wet board walk trail,...it was a killer. Almost like walking on wet ice. I made that mistake just once.

My hunting partner shook his head and kept telling me I need to buy some xtra tuffs, in turn I told him, "I have them I just forgot them at work." I think he thought I was making it up to cover my poor footing.

Default Xtratuffs

I wear mine all the time. To the grocery store, to work on cold days, shopping out and about.

I wear waders for bear hunting, but I have a hard time believing a guy can't find other uses for them.....Yeah, I live in SE.

Default Xtra Tufs

If you won't be getting far from the beach, I'd go with Muskeg's suggestion, hip boots or waders. But for bushwhacking, I'm an Xtra Tuf man. In my Prince William Sound hunting, I wear them probably 75% of the time. There's a big difference between Xtra Tufs and other rubber boots, and it isn't just the rubber. Most other rubber boots are stiff which makes them uncomfortable for anything except standing in. Extra Tufs have better traction than any other rubber boot I've worn and you can get a calked version from logging shops. But the biggy is the way they fit your ankles. They are comfy to walk in and the tight ankle fit keeps your feet from sliding around in them. I like to get them a size or so big, then put in a foot pad for extra comfort. Also you can wear heavier sox with them that way. I get an extra set of pads and change them out every day. They soak up a lot of perspiration and you can air one out while using the other.

I use them from sea level to the tops of the mountains and comfort is never an issue.

Couple pix of me and a hunting pard with our Xtra Tufs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I wish there were XtraTuff waders !!!!!

Did you ever have a pair of the Redball waders? I think they'd been close to the XtraTuffs.

Default Xtra Tuf waders

Maybe you outta write Xtra Tuf Johnnie and suggest them!

Default Caulks,

Caulks, caulks...Nugget Alaskan Outfitters, walking distance from the Juneau International sells caulked X-tra Tuffs. $125/pr. Don't go into the the real forest without them. You won't have to wade streams cause God leaves blow-downs for walk-logs across every stream I've ever crossed running 100's of miles line surveying on POW, and Hoonah, Angoon, Hydaburg, Craig, Klawock, Thorne Bay, Calder, Kake, Haines, Petersburg, and 16 top secert historical sites from Dixon to Icy Strait.

Get some duck tape and wrap your ankles like a trainer would an athelete. Get them early enuf and practice walking with them...yeah it sounds stupid..."practice walking"...trust me....do it. Use the chepo rubber boots to ride in the skiff to the beach and save the curlks for the forest...saving the sharp little caulkies from the nasty rockies.

If you don't like the whole concept of no support from rubber boots, Hoffmans Boots of Idaho sells, on-line no less, lite-weight caulked Merrells and Danners...for less than 2 bills. Yeah you'll get wet feet...so what, it won't kill ya...you'll come back with a whole new respect for the endangered logger of the years before Clinton.

Did you ever take a cat and toss it up on to mom's drapes? Get the picture?

You're going to spend $1000's of bulks on this and you skimp in footwear??? You have any idea how much it'll cost in time and $ to haul you outta the woods cause you slipped and buggered up your knee?

You can thank me later. Smile now.
    Natural Selection begins with you!

Johnnie, Extra tuff use to make waders. Don't know why they stopped, they were the best. Today I wear Schnees while working in the woods here in Southeast. I need the ankle support that the extra tuffs don't provide. I too also like the bog buster boots from Cabellas. I've worn the same pair on the Stikine Flats for the past 8 years, so they do survive well. Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast