Thread: First Post - Kayak Outrigger Question

Default First Post - Kayak Outrigger Question

Well, I should introduce myself first. I've been reading a lot of great information on this board over the last year or so, and I wanted to start posting.

I don't have much experience with kayaks, but since I'm moving to Alaska (I spent the last summer up there) I want to get into it (especially sea kayaking) more. I love the idea of kayak fishing as well, but I'm trying to work through ideas about how it would best work.

After reading some on here about stability, etc., I was wondering, does anyone here use outriggers on sit-in kayaks for fishing stability? It seems popular elsewhere. I don't want to do anything crazy like stand in the boat (some people in warm water seem to aim for this), I just don't want to get my world rocked by accidentally hooking a fish on the too-big side.

Default outriggers

It seem kinda funny that we don't see outriggers here in Alaska like you see in the south pacific.
    While in Hawaii last month I stopped at several Kayak outfits on two different islands,, and I did see some kayaks with the outriggers, but mostly I saw canoes with the outriggers.
    Fishing from these Kayaks is becoming so popular every where now that I think the manufactures are really going to step it up with the pole holders bait stations, and all that stuff..
    I will look at my pictures and also look around for options of stability used while on water.
    Our colder water seems we would be even more interested in stopping our crafts from dunking us..
    Thanks for the question,, and although I don't have an answer, I think you are bringing up a very viable idea..
    thanks
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default some youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGnAkevv0fg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4puN...eature=related

The kayak outrigger in the next link, is a style that was used in Alaska waters while exploring the peninsula islands of Alaska.. Very rough weather and very dangerous cliff areas around these islands require that you find a decent spot to get out..you cannot always just get on shore and save your self out there..
    look at these
    http://www.easyriderkayaks.com/outrigger.htm

here is a do-it your self outrigger that I really liked.
    the use of the Lobster floats looks like a winner when it comes to having something that will not impede your progress as you paddle along..
    not matter what though.. anything hooked onto your kayak that is in the water will provide some friction and cause you to have to paddle a little more..
    here is this great Idea
    http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/art...ak_Articles=31
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

I too have been researching how to best stabilize a kayak. I plan to spend some time in the PWS. I have also been looking into sailing akayak which requires more stability.
    http://www.triaksports.com/
    this site had some pictures i found helpful.
    I'm interested to hear your progress, I hope to try my hand at fishing off of it too but while seated.

Default Thanks!

Hey-- Thanks a lot for the replys so far guys. I'm really excited to try to get up there and see what can be done about fishing out of a kayak. And if people here can't think of a reason the outrigger won't work -- that might be great to try too.

Max- Thanks for those great links. I have seen that outrigger made with the floats also. I think I saw it on a forum and they were trying to sell it. I thought it looked like a great idea, if I were to build one I think I would start with that type design.

I'm definetly going to look more into this.

Travis

I've been eyeing a Glen-L design called the kid-yak https://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=479 as a possibility for an outrigger. I'm trying to figure a way to have a family boat that can still give me performance for fishing and maybe a little class I-II river running. One way to achieve that is the outrigger like your talking about on a kayak.

One thing with an outrigger is that if it gets really rough they aren't as safe but we're talking really rough here, so just know when not to be on the water.

knifemaker, those look like one good idea. Sorry I've not been on to respond lately, I've been busy moving to Alaska.

I'm really excited to try out some sea kayaking this summer, and hopefully try out some of these ideas I've been thinking about.

Hope the move goes/went well.

Default Outrigger Kit from Kayak Fishing Stuff

I purchased the kit from KFS last year and rigged my SinK with it. The outriggers worked really well, and standing up on lakes to shoot for pike was less crazy than I initially thought. Fly casting was a heck of a lot easier standing up, too.
    Yep, worked great until I lost one of my lobster floats somewhere on the road between here and Homer Make sure you glue your PVC joints together well, or you'll be buying new floats, too!
    They've got the floats, RAM holders, and everything else you get in the kit down at B&J commercial in Anchorage also, but I don't want to take business away from the KFS folks, 'cause they've been really good over the years. If you go to their website, make sure you leaf through the how-to articles for info.
    As far as drag is concerned, I made it a point not to deploy the outriggers until I was pretty much on top of my fishing spot, it's doable in the boat, but way easier if you can beach first.
    I've also seen PVC/ foam pool noodle outriggers that seem to work well, and the sponsons on them have a more curved aspect, like the outrigger canoes in Hawaii. Go to Northwest Kayak Anglers, or one of the other Kayak fishing groups, and you'll find guys that have tried them and have posted plans on the forums.

A different tact altogether - if you are going to be fishing more than touring, lose the SinK for a sit on top fishing rig, and just wear a drysuit. No outriggers needed, and being able to sit sideways on your boat and dangle your feet is priceless! Not saying you have to buy a new boat to fish successfully, just mentioning it as another option.