Thread: Wanted: 357 Mag Load w/LBT Hard Cast Bullets

Default Wanted: 357 Mag Load w/LBT Hard Cast Bullets

Hi all,

Does anyone have a good load for the 357 using LBT hard cast bullets at 187 Grains? Thanks.

Ron

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Seems to work OK

I'm using 13 grains H110,
    and CCI 550s
    for 180 grain Cast Performance WFN GCS.

(Saving my 4227 for my 44 mag. but that would be a good powder too.)
    (and I'd use the same charge weight.)

My gun is (strong) a Ruger New Mdl Blackhawk, with 6" barrel. I haven't chronoed it, but data (Hodgdon) says 1300 fps plus, for a 10" barrel.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Thanks. What do you think about the LBT's?

Ron

Ron,

I think the LBT's are the best handgun bullet going but understand there are three basic designs. WFN, WLN and LFN. The difference is in the length of the nose and consequently the bearing surface, specifically how much bullet sticks into the case and how much nose is left out. Long Flat Nose is the longest nose, obviously and shortest shank in the case and it will allow more room for powder, but the nose may be too long for some cylinders. The WFN will fit all cylinders but encroaches on powder space. I don't know if you've used any of these before.

And the best load in the 357 will be with N105 is you have a Ruger or full sized 357 the thin skinned K frames or air weights can't be loaded to this bear load level. If you are in Fairbanks I'll give you some N105 to try and if you want we can chronograph different powders and you can see the results. Let me know.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murphy,

Cast Performance makes a 187 gr WFNGC which is all I can find locally. I would like to try these out in my GP-100. I would like these loaded "for bear" so to speak. We have a black bear issue as of late. I wanted to take this load with me when I small game hunt with my eldest son this fall. We can not carry buck shot or slugs in the field when we small game hunt here. I have a box of 180 gr Winchester Black Talons for the early 90's, but I don't want to carry these in the field, we have CO's down here with issues. I would like to not address that here. Thank you for any and all advice.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Ron,

And the best load in the 357 will be with N105 is you have a Ruger or full sized 357 the thin skinned K frames or air weights can't be loaded to this bear load level. If you are in Fairbanks I'll give you some N105 to try and if you want we can chronograph different powders and you can see the results. Let me know.
    Don't mean to hijack the thread but I've been looking for N105. Do any of the local stores in Fairbanks carry it ( I realize they may not have any right now but wondering if they stock it normally) or are you ordering it direct?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Thanks. What do you think about the LBT's?

Ron
    The Cast Performance 180 grain, are LBT design. I like'm just fine.

Nowadays, everyone seems to think that the WFN bullets are best. Maybeso, but they usta say that about the SWCs.

I'd prefer SWC, but I wanted to use a 180 grains like the beeg boys, and intimidate the beeg bars.

I shoot lots of 158 grain SWCs.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I have some CP 180 grain WFNGC's sized at .358". Shooting them in the 6" model 28, they will definately shoot better than I can hold but I got several groups of 2 to 3" with my wrists sand bagged on the bench at Stiles creek, at 50 yards. These were 12 shot groups while chronographing the following loads.

Starline brass, CCI-550's, CP 180 gr WFN GC sized .358", 6" bbl S&W M28.

Vihta N105-----Velocity ---SD
    9.0 grains -----1139 fps ---16 fps (in 4" M19, these were 1080 fps)
    10.0 grains ----1272 fps---12 fps (in 4" M19, these were 1208 fps)
    11.0 grains ----1346 fps---14 fps
    12.0 grains ----1412 fps ---22 fps

These SD numbers are very good for any revolver and this velocity makes the 357 a real magnum. I tried to get some CP 200 grain WFN's but was unable to find them when I was shooting this gun. I think in this full sized gun they would be better.

All these cases fell out with a flip of the ejector rod but I don't know about the pressure. I would not shoot more than 11.0 grains in a K frame S&W but the full sized Rugers can take 12.0 as did my big N frame and I don't believe I hit any max pressures.

I think for a bear load I would shoot the 200 grain WFNGC's with about 10.0 to 11.0 grains of N105 for an expected velocity of 1250 to1300 fps.

This a full sized gun, 44 magnum size, and if you had a 44 you could shoot well, there would be no reason to use a 357. But of course, not every has or can shoot a big 44.

N105 is a double base powder that burns super clean but it's greatest advantage is very consistant ignition. It is easy to lite and burns consistantly in shorter barrels.

The loads for the lighter 4" S&W M19 were very good for 4" barrel, I did not try them in my wife's 2 1/2" M19.

An intersting comparison for these loads is the same brass, primer, and Model 28, with 158 grain Sierra JSP's I got 1310.0 fps with 12.0 grains of N105. So I gained 100 fps and 22 grains with the lead. Wanna do the math? Hard cast is the way to go.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thanks for the info.

Ron