Thread: Moose Help Please

Default Moose Help Please

Hi, I just moved to Alaska in May of '08 and my uncle is a really big outdoor sport enthusiast. He is coming with my aunt to visit this summer and wants me to try and find out some preliminary information for him about moose guides. I would really appreciate any help people could give me. Thanks

Default Sportman's Show

In a couple of weeks at the sullivan areana there will be tons of folks/guides in one place.....A perfect intel gathering for 5 bucks parking. Anything outdoors will be there. Try that, actually talk to the business owners etc. Good Luck

Thank you for the info I really appreciate it!

Default Moose Guides

Asblg,

While folks may direct you towards one guide over another, you should go in armed with questions for the guide, and a lot of them. If they are on the up and up there should be no trouble answering them. Much as it's fun to visit the Sportsman's Show that isn't the place to be doing this type of in depth study-collect your data, then call back. As a starting point, you'll want to ask about experience and time in the area, game density, (find the unit, then surf fish and game for GMU success rates) what's the camp's success rate (probably tough to verify) and seek out referrals YOU can contact. Is the guide affiliated with any groups, SCI, Moose Federation, Cabela's booking (check them by the way)..etc.... Depending on your fitness level, and that of your uncle, you'll want to know about terrain, weather, camp conditions--and numbers of hunters in camp as well as Guide/Assistant Guide ratios, 1 on 1, 2 on 1, etc. Do you or your uncle want to keep the meat, or will it be donated to a local village? Do you want to be in camp with 20 other hunters? Or do you want to spike camp...Is this a trophy hunt (+65") or will 55" do cuz it's a meat/experience hunt. It all depends on what you want, and what you can pay. Those with exclusive in-holdings in various locales probably have less competition, but will cost more. Better yet, focus on a species....beware "combi" hunts--moose and 'bou are generally tough to find in the same locale...not to say it can't happen, it's best to know what you want and stick with it....Those are just late night musings off season, I'm sure the good folks out there have more to contribute. Good luck!

Default Cabela's

Be cautious about Cabela's. They don't generally tell you who the guide service is, making it nearly impossible for you to check references and such. I do know that they change guides fairly frequently (past experience involving a friend of mine).

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks for pointing that out Mike, didn't know. That's disappointing.--

Yep-I'd steer clear of booking through Cabelas, if a guide can't get customers without giving them a cut-they probably have some issues. Ever notice how the pictures they advertise don't change much hum...........if you have the best guides, best areas-you would think they would have a ton of trophy pics to rotate? I've heard horror stories as well.

KK

Default Cabelas

I booked a hunt directly with an outfitter in the Brooks Range. On the fly in and at base camp, I talked with another hunter. He had booked his hunt (same outfitter) through Cabelas. After some discussion, I determined that he better pre-hunt service (communication) than I did directly from outfitter. I didn't have the heart to tell him that the cost difference was quite a bit. We both had opportunity for multiple types of game. He paid the full book price while I only had to pay more if another species was harvested. Just a couple of the trade offs. Being how tight money is and how costs add up, I feel it was better to deal direct and pocket some change.

Default course correction--

Thanks to all who corrected my suggestion on Cabelas for asblg, I for one stand corrected or at least advised on the drawbacks of that!

...I feel though that the thread needs a course correction away from Cabelas and back to assisting aslbg on his original question, how to select a guide....it can be a daunting, and pricey prospect. On that note, asblg, if you're still out there, you might also check with the State Occupational Licensing Division (Oc Licensing for short) for any prior or pending licensing matters and to ensure your guide's license is in good standing.

Check out the attached link--

http://www.wildlifenews.alaska.gov/i...articles_id=20

Contact Larry Bartlett, he is a first class guy. Website is pristineadventures.com He is extremely knowledgeable on Moose hunts,helped me out a few years back. He specializes on float hunts.

Good luck.

John Keppel

There are no moose here, I would consider a bear, wolf or coyote hunt.

Default Correction

Quote Originally Posted by John Keppel View Post
    Contact Larry Bartlett, he is a first class guy. Website is pristineadventures.com He is extremely knowledgeable on Moose hunts,helped me out a few years back. He specializes on float hunts.

Good luck.

John Keppel
    Hi John,

I think the OP is looking for a guide. Larry is not a guide; he's a hunt consultant. To my knowledge he does not work with guides at all.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Contact larry

I would check with Larry Bartlett.. You can reach him at pristineventures.com...As though hes not a guide, Im sure he knows lots of guides because of his reputation... If I remember correctly he did a float hunt show with a registered outfitter, so I would just contact him.

If you do not have any success with him, ( Im sure you will) send me a PM because I will be an assistant hunting guide this fall for an outfitter and can get information for you if needed..

Anyways good luck,

James