Thread: Cold Start on Yamaha 9.9HT

Default Cold Start on Yamaha 9.9HT

I just got a Yamaha 9.9 high thrust as a kicker on my new boat. When I start it cold it takes a minute or so to smooth out. Several people have told be that this is just the way it is, and that Yamaha's are real cold blooded until they warm up. My old boat has a Honda 9.9 and it is as simple as pull the chord and it starts and humms. The Yamaha you have to put the key in to choke it, lift the fast idle up a bit and crank it. It fires pretty quickly, but then you have to tap the key in to give it more choke for the next 15 seconds or so to keep it running or it will die.

It seems hard to believe that this is 'normal'. It almost seems like the choke circuit is not staying on or out of adjustment. Can others with this motor comment on how there's is, and who in Anchorage might be best to look at this under warranty?

Thanks,

Jim

I have the same motor except push-button start, not a sputter or blink at all, no choking, nothing except squeeze the gas line bulb if not used for weeks. Something sounds odd with yours.

Meyers,

What year is your motor? You don't pull up the fast idle lever or puch the button in to choke it? Do you know anyone in Anchorage that is good at tuning these, or did it just come like this?

I spoke with the guys in WA that sold it, and they say that this is the way the Yamahas are these days. They say the Honda has an automatic choke, and that the Yamahas had these in the past bt they had problems with them so they pulled them. If this is true, I wish I would have uncovered this before I bought it, since it would be a real hassle to change so I will just live with it. He did say that they generally get a little bit better once they are broken in, but that you still need to be messing with the fast idle and choke for the first minute or so when it is cold.

Jim

I have the same motor but I think it's a 2001. In the middle of the summer I only have to turn the key and it fires right up. It's only later in the fall with colder temps I have to use the lift lever.

I hardly use mine, usually only around Seward's silver season. I'll fire it up (if I remember) early in the year, but sometimes not. Its fairly new, (stupid me don't even know the exact year), but all I do is make sure the fuel line bulb is tight/primed and she kicks off like nothing. It should run flawlessly, -when the guys tell you that's how they are, ask if they really mean they don't want to deal with it and can't help.
    Call Steve at Mobile Marine 727-1607, he is fairly creative and may come up with something for you.

Default yamaha 9.9

You may want to adjust the idle speed a bit- should smooth her right out, or at least not need to choke for as long.

Default Dewey's Marine

If your in Anchorage, the lead mechanic at Dewey's is very good with the Yamaha O.B.'s. I bought a brand new 2-star 8HP HT remote from from them and it would die past 3/4 throttle and was hard to start. Took it in and their mechanic sad the carburetor was fouled with fuel residue from when it was test run at the factory over a year before I bought the "new" engine......anyway, under warranty they rebuilt the carb and it runs fine now.

A Yamaha dealer sugested I use Yamaha Ring Free and I laughed, bought some and set out to prove him wrong, followed the labeled directions for shock treatment, then went to general use, now I use it in everything, yamaha, honda, briggs, polaris, skidoo, arctic cat, merc, kow.