Thread: Questions and Answers on traveling thru Canada

Default Questions and Answers on traveling thru Canada

For those moving up and wondering about the highways coming up, please look at this:

You will need after June first a passport for everyone in your family:
    http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

You should get an Alaska Mile Post:
    http://milepost.com/

Depending on the time of year, ask before driving and check Alaska N.O.A.A. on weather. No one wants to be caught in a Blizzard.
    http://www.weather.gov/

Get a prepaid cell phone. You will want one as a prepaid will be able to find ANY and ALL towers in the area and you only pay for the minutes you buy.

Make sure to always have an extra 5 gallon gas can. You never know when you will need it.

ALWAYS use your Credit or ATM/Debit card for hotels, gas and driving up. The banks can do the conversions for you at NO charge. And always keep 100 300 Canadian on your person as some places in Canada do not except CCs.

Use Road Construction updates for Canada at ALL times:
    http://www.randmcnally.com/rmc/tools/roadConstructionSearch.jsp
    http://www.highwayconditions.com/canada.htm

And make sure you get enough sleep. You do not need to have an accident on the road!

Good Luck and Welcome to Alaska!
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Canada Border Service Agency Main Site:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html

Firearms importation info for Canada:

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/...f5044-eng.html

Back in the State (MatSu Valley) and I ain't ever leaving!

FYI - An exception to the statement that after June 1, 2009 EVERYONE will be required to have passport or passport card is that children under the age of 16:

CHILDREN: U.S. citizen children under the age of 16 will be able to present the original or copy of their birth certificate, or other proof of U.S. citizenship such as a naturalization certificate or citizenship card.

Default Guns

Remember also - if you are carrying guns, they will be inspected and a fee charged at the border, I think it was 25 bucks per gun a few years ago. They want to see them properly secured.

Hanguns are not allowed at all through Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedog View Post
    Hanguns are not allowed at all through Canada.
    Handguns ARE allowed, but only in certain calibers. You must also get the written authorization from every Province magistrate for each Province that you plan to travel through. The paperwork is such a hassle that it is easier and cheaper to do a FFL transfer & pick it up when you arrive.

For those wanting to bring up powder or reloading supplies, see page 12 of the following:

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5044-eng.pdf

Gossioii7

Question Thanks

Looks like your question thing at the end of the post worked. Also not having to sign in is nice too. Good job. Nice list. Thanks.

Default oversize permits for canada

Anybody know where to get a oversize permit for hauling a 9' 10" wide boat up the highway through canada? I'm guessing their laws might be close to ours for the size limits??

Steve the potbuilder
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net

I paid less than a 100.00 and came throu with about 20 guns in a safe and they did not even as to see them. I had all the information they asked for in a note pad and filed out there paper work paid a fee of less than a 100.00 and went on my way.
    Did not carry hand guns thou. Good luck

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Default DUI

If you have ever had a DUI and they run your name you will be stopped. Add a couple hours, fill out a pile of paper and pay them $200 to pass. They then give you a letter ( get thru boarder free card). The records go back farther than you think too. I would think you might be able to pre get the letter ??
    Happened to us, buddys DUI was 22 years ago!
    www.piranha.com, Don't Ditch it Re-Pitch It!
    DSC MMSI# 338088288

Default What about transporting ammunition?

I am guess since pistols are banned in Canada, pistol ammo is banned too. What about rifle and shotgun ammo? I heard something about 200 rounds being "tariff free"......web sites about transport I have looked at read like stereo instructions......HELP!

Oh and what are except able firearms to take through? What about semi-auto AK or AR styles? Thanks!

Thanks for the info, I am a new to this forum, and new to posting as well. I was not aware of the handgun law for Canada. I will be sharing this info with my boyfriend. We will be moving to AK in about 18mos. He reloads, and has been stocking up on supplies. I feel I will be doing alot of reading on this forum. Thanks again.......

Thanks for putting this together! As someone who is considering the move to AK, this was very helpful!

BC highway webcams:

http://images.drivebc.ca/bchighwayca...-Northern.html

Alberta highway webcams:

http://www.ama.ab.ca/road-reports/highway-cameras

Good for planning winter road trips.

Quote Originally Posted by THE_HUNTERIAM View Post
    I am guess since pistols are banned in Canada, pistol ammo is banned too. What about rifle and shotgun ammo? I heard something about 200 rounds being "tariff free"......web sites about transport I have looked at read like stereo instructions......HELP!

Oh and what are except able firearms to take through? What about semi-auto AK or AR styles? Thanks!
    OH Lordy, not an AK or AR!!...I went with just the bolt carriers from both weapons(10 yrs ago) and AP and tracer ammo and had it confiscated but got it back when I returned 2-3 days later....big no no....and if u ever assaulted a cop, even if it was a misdemeanor....in CAN. it is an indictable offense(felony)and u are not welcomed.

I see that prepaid phones work all the way through Canada and in Alaska but I have a prepaid straight talk phone and it does not work in Canada or Alaska. I am trying to find a specific carrier to go through that will work from Oregon all the way through and in Alaska. Can anybody tell me a specific carrier? Prepaid or not is fine. Mainly need to be able to text for family but must be able to call for emergencies.

Sent from my HUAWEI H881C using Tapatalk

I have a GCI phone. I don't know whether they have prepaid plans or not. When I flew a small plane up in the spring, it worked in Kamloops, Prince George, Fort St John, (I don't remember if I used it in Fort Nelson), and Whitehorse, which were our only stops.

Depending on what you are doing, GCI is not the best service carrier within the road system areas of Alaska, so I wouldn't recommend signing up for a long-term deal with GCI unless you are sure it will meet your need. Out in the rural areas, their coverage is good, but you can get the same coverage now through ACS. I don't know what Canada coverage ACS has.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

OK cool. Thanks I haven't heard of any of those carriers around here. One we do have here that I think will work I'm going to check with them today is us cellular. A friend of mine made the drive to Fairbanks and she has them and just said she had no problems with coverage so I guess I'll see thanks a bunch!

Oh also what about traveling through Canada with pets? I will be bringing my 2 dogs. Anything I should know on that?

You're not going to find a phone that works "all the way" because there's no infrastructure along very long stretches of the Alcan. There's reasonable GSM coverage in some towns through Canada, and I've done okay with AT&T. If you're worried get a CB. You'll see truckers from time to time. I've got ACS now and have been impressed with availability. Works fine in Whitehorse, not sure about what the coverage is in BC.

On the dogs, not a problem. Have immunization records at hand, although you probably won't need them (but you might). If you're feeding meat call ahead to the crossing you'll be using and ask; if you're feeding kibble or canned food don't worry about it.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

OK cool thanks. I understand phone not working completely all the way. I'm from eastern Oregon we have lots of dead spots I just mean one that will work in the areas where local ones work like in most towns...etc because I know the one I have won't work anywhere at all in Alaska or Canada. Kinda frustrating. But thanks for the help!