Thread: Dalton Hwy Caribou

Default Dalton Hwy Caribou

Has anyone braved the mosquitos to hunt caribou in July along the slope, if so, can you get up the rivers in a jet boat enough to gun hunt???

Default yes

Ive been up there the last couple weeks of july 2 years in a row. Still in velvet. very lil movement (though this year was better cause cooler temps) 1s and 2s mostly though. sag and Ivy much better than in aug and sept due to higher runnoff. Bugs are bugs. unless u are up there in late sept they are part of hunting..hope for a little breeze not a wind! and the best part fewer hunters early.

have not hunted that late but in mid Aug head net is great item to have.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

not to mention meat care becomes an issue in July.. you can get over 100 degrees in the sun on the road back. there were many times in July the thermometer in the water truck hit 112-118 waiting for my next run. i did regularly see guys hauling meat home.. but you need to plan on cooling it well. and if you stop the flies find you instantly.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default coolers

Jam 2 coolers full of ice duct tape shut just for the meat return..keeping em cool can definately a pain. worked 4 us tho

Thanks Guys,
    I'll be giving it a try in July, we'll see what happens. I bow hunted Montana in 80+ temps, sort of familiar with saving meat in those temps. Anytime you explore an area the first time, any advise/info is good advise/info. Let you know afterwards how it went, if at all.

Has anyone ever hunted caribou past Atigun Pass by accessing the area with boat (beyond the 5 mile mark)? If so, how many spots can you put in at and how far past the Pass?

Default Ivishack(sp)

You can do a search on this site for the ivy. It is the only river that will get you in 5 miles. tricky river later in the year. jet boat will work. you have to put on the sag in between pump 2 and 3. Make sure you are in 5 miles from nearest road. best to put mark the road on a GPS when driving up and use that when going up the river. They fly that all the time and I have seen alot of illegally taken bou because of not in 5 miles. GPS is a necessity. they will confiscate and fine.

Thanks for the info. I haven 18ft jetboat and have been told to be sure your 5 or more off the road, not down/up river. I'll pass on info after I go there, talk at ya later.

Default Water level can be limiting too

I took an 18' flat bottomed jet boat up a few years ago to go up the Ivi and when we got there the water was dropping and we couldn't make it in the 5 miles. Guys in air boats were fine but jets were out. We ended up hiking the five miles to the west and got our animals but it's good to be prepared either way in case the water is low. We also carried lots of fuel for the boat in the boat and the haul road took its toll and cracked the frame of the boat trailer. Thanks to the help of a guy in Deadhorse he welded it up for free but best to carry the heavy stuff in the truck and light stuff in the boat.

Early Sept. is nice without the bugs...