Thread: Need a fill-in for trip to McDougall Lodge

Default Need a fill-in for trip to McDougall Lodge

Me and the wife were scheduled to go to McDougall Lodge with a group from the ASC. My wife had to cancel due to a short-notice trip for work, so I'm looking for someone to fill in. You can take the easy cruise to the lodge and party, or you can take the cross country death march to the lodge (and party) The question is how tired do you want to be when you start partying.

The trip is this Friday thru Sunday. There will be two groups departing from the Amber Lake area on Oilwell Road (P-Ville). Group 1 will take the family friendly route down the Shulin Lake trail to the Kahiltna River, to the Yentna and on to the lodge--about 60 miles. Group 2 (advanced group) will take the longer, more technical route back out towards the Petersville Road. From there we will head to the Forks Roadhouse and top off our gas. Then it's cross-country 45+/- miles to Angel Haven Lodge. More gas, a quick drink and a snack, and then head down the Yentna River 50 miles until we arrive at McDougall Lodge for dinner--about 120 miles. For group 2, time is key. We will not stop unless needed. We need to make it to the lodge in time for dinner and link up with the other group.

On Saturday we're going to head to Tal Vista Lodge for lunch and maybe head up to the glacier if conditions are right.

The cost is $160 per person but I'm in a bind so I'm asking $125 for my extra slot. That covers lodging, dinner and breakfast.
    The only hook is you have to be a member of the Anchorage Snowmobile Club for liability insurance reasons. That's $25 for individuals or 35 for your whole family. You can join up as part of the ride.

There are actually 4 other open slots due to cancellations, so if there are others who'd like to check out the club AND a great riding destination call or PM me.

I'm departing Anchorage at 7 am Friday. If anyone is interested I'd like to get together and load your sled and gear up Thursday night. (assuming you're in Anchorage)

Erik
    382-0211

Believe it or not. The Kahiltna route is way more technical and dangerous than any route you could have opted for. I personally would never take a family along the Kahiltna River Route. Sounds like you will have a good time. But...there are lots of options to choose from.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

From what I was told, the trail has recently been scouted, and I forgot to add that Group 1 will run a section of seismic trail before dropping onto the lower Kahiltna if that makes any difference.

Thanks Akres, for the heads up.

Charterboat Operator

trail from Mcdougal to Kahiltna is in great shape from what i have heard, other than the alders which were to have been cut out fairly recently there is no technical parts of the trail which cant be traversed by a novice.

Seen some of your group over at Tal Vista on Saturday....hope everyone had a great ride. I heard some complaining about the river being rough. It always gets that way after the Irondog and then again after the Iditarod. The week before the Irondog was almost like riding a highway. A little more spring snow with a good stiff breeze will level it out again before the season is over.

The new snow was good on the lower Yetena river (12"+)and the afternoon Sun with clear sky made for some fabulous riding. We didn't quit riding ourseleves till after 10 pm. What a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The trip was fantastic. The McDougall folks were great and the snow was incredible. The ride up the Kahiltna on Friday was...(dare I abuse the word?)...epic.

35 miles of unbroken, waist to neck-deep powder under blue skies. It was my personal best day ever on a sled. 130 miles is a good pull and we were pretty bushed when we got in.

I highly recommend the Yentna area lodges if you're looking for a place to go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    The trip was fantastic. The McDougall folks were great and the snow was incredible. The ride up the Kahiltna on Friday was...(dare I abuse the word?)...epic.

35 miles of unbroken, waist to neck-deep powder under blue skies. It was my personal best day ever on a sled. 130 miles is a good pull and we were pretty bushed when we got in.

I highly recommend the Yentna area lodges if you're looking for a place to go.

I think I seen you at the Tal....we were the group of 5. 3 Cats and 2 Doo's that came in as you were leaving.......don't let the word get to far out about the great riding. It's sometimes a best kept secret and the lodges on the river are very accommadating.

****************EXAMPLE*****************
    I know the two kids (teenagers) from Yetena Station went out on a rescue mission Friday night/Saturday Morning to rescue a stranded rider out near Shell Lake. Big thumbs up to Adam and Daneille for getting it done and to Dan and Jean for bringing them up right.

I always have their number in my pocket just in case.