Thread: Planning a trip to fish the klutina early june

Default Planning a trip to fish the klutina early june

Hello has anyone here fished the Klutina river/Lake in early june?? What fish should I be targeting during that time frame?

I'd like to ask you what your trip limitations are. Are you limited to the first part of June? Are you planning a "do-it-yourself" trip or are you going to have a guide?

If you are, you should expect slow fishing for Sockeye salmon. Basically what that equates to is lots of hours flipping and really having to put in work for few fish. If you could hold off for two weeks until the 3rd weekend of June, then you should have better luck. Water levels play a huge roll in the fishing there, both for Sockeye and for Kings.

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

I have no limitations for my trip i am open to whenever.I can wait for the 3rd weekend and just go then.I am planning a do-it-yourself trip and I dont have a boat so I am bank fishing.

That helps out alot!!!! Plan your trip for the last week in june or 1st week in July. At that time you should be able to target both sockeye and kings. Sockeye are easy...you just flip for them off of the bank....about 2-5 foot out. Use a simple yarn/hook combo and slap a weight on about 18-24" above the hook. Flip out upstream, drift down, pick up, repeat.

If you want to try and target kings, you can walk down to the confluence of the Klutina and the Copper River. It is about 1/2 mile walk to the confluence. You can also fish for reds there as well if you get tired of beating up the bank at one of the camp grounds.

For camping, I suggest Klutina Salmon Charters. They have a nice facility and are reasonable on the prices.

Any more questions please feel free to ask.

Thank You for all of this imformation, I think I will go the first weekend of july.

If I may ask, what type of gear are you planning on using? Fly or regular casting gear?

I am going to be using my Spinning outfit.I have a medium heavy shakespeare ugly stick rod and a basic reel with 25 pound test.I do think that "Ugly Sticks" are the best kinds of rods on the market since they can take a good beating even from years of my father using it for salmon on the kenai.