Thread: Looking for some helpful advice

Default Looking for some helpful advice

Hey I've lived in alaska for 21 years but I never really went out on my own Ive always went fishing with my family...anyways i was wondering if anyone could tell me of a good place to go fishing where i can catch salmon,trout,and grayling/char on the richardson highway..oh and im not really ok with spending hundreds on a trip to catch and release fish thanks

I can reccomend a really great book that will get you where the fish are. It's called "Alaska Fishing" by Limeres and Pedersen. It breaks it down by species and location, and tells you when the peak runs for salmon are. It's a pretty big book and has tons of basic to intermediate information in it. I have a copy in front of me right now.

thank you i have been looking for a few new places to fish this upcoming summer i will grab that book as soon as i can

There is a book, "Fishing Alaska's Road System" (or similar) that may be of use to you. Also, Scott Haugen's book "Flyfisher's Guide to Alaska" is a must read. Even if you don't fly fish, this is a great book. It has over 100 maps. Tells you exactly where to go and how to get there. Very informative book and each area of the state has its own chapter. Both can be found on the forum book store I believe. Amazon for sure if not. I also second the suggestion above on "Alaska Fishing". Great book with tons of info.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

thank you very much thishas been very helpful to me

Highway Angler is the best in my opinion for what you seem to be asking. It is the most detailed book out there for fishing off the road system. It will walk you to the water down to the feet you have to walk after parking. Very exact book. A must have for all anglers that are looking to fish in a new area or doing it on their own for the first time.

Default Wise Advice

Quote Originally Posted by akshrop View Post
    Highway Angler is the best in my opinion for what you seem to be asking. It is the most detailed book out there for fishing off the road system. It will walk you to the water down to the feet you have to walk after parking. Very exact book. A must have for all anglers that are looking to fish in a new area or doing it on their own for the first time.
    This advice is the best you can get on the subject of books for fishing the Alaska road system. I believe its one of my best tools for fishing in public waters along the road system, besides my light saber

You live close, If your interested in talking send me a PM, I am not an expert, but I do catch a few fish.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Agree with my bud and the info already posted. The books mentioned are excellent tools for fishing the Alaskan Road System fisheries. Lightsabers are also KEY pieces of equipment!!!!

I will say that JMSS and myself are pretty seasoned fishermen on Interior and South central fishing. We both live in the Fairbanks area and, for myself atleast, am glad to give recommendations and love to have company on the river.

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

If you guys are interested I will have open seats on most of my trips this summer,I am also planning to go to valdez and get a few halibut to fill the freezers.Just thought I'd say something to you...even though I should have said this in the open seat thread.I also live in fairbanks

JMSS would might be able to go. I don't get back from Iraq until Septemberish.

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"