Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red oak board bow build along

Wow, I haven't looked at this thread in a long time! Kind of scary looking back at those first few bows... At this point I've had about 12-14 bows turn out as decent shooters and probably 15-20 that are in the kindling pile! Hopefully a person or two has found this as inspiration to try a build. It's becoming an addiction of mine.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peaceful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Wow, I haven't looked at this thread in a long time! Kind of scary looking back at those first few bows... At this point I've had about 12-14 bows turn out as decent shooters and probably 15-20 that are in the kindling pile! Hopefully a person or two has found this as inspiration to try a build. It's becoming an addiction of mine.
    Photo bucket has been giving me fits for a while, i can't get my pix on here, sorry, I'll try tomorrow.

Here are a couple of my more recent ones...they have improved a bit from those first few!

A red oak self bow with paduak accents for my daughter, we boiled the tips and bent them on a caul -

This one was the 70# hickory backed jatoba for a bow swap. I sent it off to Pennsylvania -

AKmud

The porcupine is a peaceful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Looking good

Beautiful work, i might of missed it but do you have any experience with birch wood?

Quote Originally Posted by goldminerlodgealaska View Post
    Beautiful work, i might of missed it but do you have any experience with birch wood?
    I've tried a couple of kild dried birch from Popperts mill... They exploded dramatically and without warning! I've broken several bows and they usually give a hint they are going to break by lifting a splinter, creaking, or cracking slightly. The birch I tried looked (and sounded) fine right up till they let go. I was not backing them so I imagine they would make a decent bow with a hickory backing but I am leery of investing the time with birch again.
    AKmud

Im having troublewith my tiller. Im not sure on how to brace and what length of srting to use? Right now im at 40# 21". Does this mean i have a bunch of shaving to do still.

and my cord has slack

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12