Thread: Savage Passions at 17

Default Savage Passions at 17

I was someplace recently I shouldn't have been, doing something I shouldn't have been doing, namely, I was at my local gun shop looking around. I always get into trouble when I do that!

In this case my eyes wandered to a beautiful blond (Savage target rifle, Model 93R17BTVS , stainless barrel, accu-trigger, 17 cal rimfire). When I lay my hands on her, it was love at first site. Now I am a happily married man, but I couldn't help fantasizing about taking her out this summer, holding her, etc., etc. I just feel I have to possess her!

So I have a few questions:
    1) How is the 17 cal rimfire for target shooting at 100-200 yards? I can shoot the strings I hang tin cans from with my target 22LR, but it's no longer so good out at 100 yards. Is the 17 cal HMR stable enough for long range performance?
    2) This Savage looks hot, but how does she perform? I heard that in the past her relatives did not have a good reputation. Should I be looking at a different family? (CZ for example?)
    3) I have tried a cold shower, but nothing seems to help. Can anybody save me from this passion? Shouldn't I be happy with all the guns I have?
    "The best defense is not to be there when the blow arrives!"

The 17 is great for out to 100 and a little beyond. Wind plays some havoc on it. But from 0-100 that thing shoots like a laser! Even out to 150 its pretty good. Its an inherantly accurate round and Id think you will be hard pressed to find any maker of gun where it wont shoot great.

Savage nowadays is right at the top in the accuarcy department. Currently my most accurate .17hmr Ive shot is a plain jane savage. My Marlin was real good too, pretty much even with the savage. Buy that savage with confidence!

Id say go for it. Youll really like the round. Most people instantly like it when they fire it. And its not that expensive to shoot for what you get.

I ave my eye on a Savage 93 in 17HRM aswell this is what I have found. They are great out past 100 and even to 200 yards if you watch the wind. Many can thrown a group under 1'' out of the box. They are great little plikers and will strech your range on small game aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Sako Workhorse View Post
    I was someplace recently I shouldn't have been, doing something I shouldn't have been doing, namely, I was at my local gun shop looking around. I always get into trouble when I do that!

In this case my eyes wandered to a beautiful blond (Savage target rifle, Model 93R17BTVS , stainless barrel, accu-trigger, 17 cal rimfire). When I lay my hands on her, it was love at first site. Now I am a happily married man, but I couldn't help fantasizing about taking her out this summer, holding her, etc., etc. I just feel I have to possess her!

1) How is the 17 cal rimfire for target shooting at 100-200 yards? I can shoot the strings I hang tin cans from with my target 22LR, but it's no longer so good out at 100 yards. Is the 17 cal HMR stable enough for long range performance?
    2) This Savage looks hot, but how does she perform? I heard that in the past her relatives did not have a good reputation. Should I be looking at a different family? (CZ for example?)
    3) I have tried a cold shower, but nothing seems to help. Can anybody save me from this passion? Shouldn't I be happy with all the guns I have?
    We've got four 17's on our place in the Southwest- The Savage, two Marlins, and a Ruger.

The Savage is an honest and consistent 200 yard gun on prairie dogs. Accuracy-wise the Marlins are pretty similar to each other, petering out somewhere between 125 and 150, but the Ruger barely makes it to 125. We've got some 22 mags around too, but they're no better and no worse than the Ruger 17. Marlins are definitely a step up over any 22 mag I've ever shot when it comes to accuracy, but the Savage beats them all. If I need more reach than 200 I go for a 223, 22-250 or 204, but inside 200 the Savage 17 is top of the heap.

IME, Blondes are a bit more consistent than their counterparts, who can be a bit more hit 'n' miss

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Default Look into your crystal ball, please.

Does anybody have a feel for the popularity of this cartridge? This is the one caliber that Sportsman's warehouse never seems to be out of, suggesting there is not much demand for it. I would hate to buy this rifle and then have the cartridge go obsolete five years down the road and have something I can't handload because it is rimfire.

Beleive me, it isnt going to fizzle out! Its an extremely popular cartridge, chambered by every manafacrurer out there. Its been here since what 98 or 99? Yeah, people dont burn through it as fast as other kinds like 22's cause of its price, or like the rush on Pistol and .223 or 7.62X39 but its popular. Its popularity is what spawned the 17machII.

I havent bought any for awhile cause I horded a bunch when prices were rising.

You need to pop on over to www.rimfirecentral.com and look around there a bit

Sako, visit www.17hmr.net

Everything you would ever want to know about the 17

Does anybody have a feel for the popularity of this cartridge? This is the one caliber that Sportsman's warehouse never seems to be out of, suggesting there is not much demand for it. I would hate to buy this rifle and then have the cartridge go obsolete five years down the road and have something I can't handload because it is rimfire.
    It appears to be really variable from place to place, with those that have lots of prairied dogs or ground squirrels running out all the time. There are a couple of SW within driving range of our place in the Southwest, and they run out all the time- as does everyone else who stocks it. Especially in the spring before the crops get too high and most of the shooting happens, lots of stores put limits on the amount they will sell you, just so they can keep it in stock. I try to accumulate a minimum of two "bricks" before spring, but I can never buy it a brick at a time. I'd almost bet that in spite of the cost they sell more than they do 22LR, it's so much more useful. Talking to one clerk I know and trust, he said it's even cut way into sales of 22 mag because it's noticeably more effective.

You may be nervous because what happened to the old Remington 5mm RF. That one never caught on, but the 17 sure hit the mark.

Try rimfirecentral.com There are tons of fans of the 17hmr, and it is here to stay. The Savage is an accurate rifle, you will like it.

Default Desire is inexhaustible.

Thanks everybody for the information. It has been very, very helpful! What puzzles me now is why I feel this BURNING desire to spend $700-800 dollars on a new rifle/scope that I would like, but don't really need, at a time when the money should really go to other things! I think posessing nice guns must have some kind of narcotic-like effect -- we do it even though it might not be prudent, but it feels so satisfying!

Thanks everybody for the information. It has been very, very helpful! What puzzles me now is why I feel this BURNING desire to spend $700-800 dollars on a new rifle/scope that I would like, but don't really need, at a time when the money should really go to other things! I think posessing nice guns must have some kind of narcotic-like effect -- we do it even though it might not be prudent, but it feels so satisfying!
    Nah, you're just being a good citizen. Spend that money to get the economy rolling!

And I'm not really kidding. There are more good deals floating around than I've seen in the last 8 or 10 years- way below realistic value in fact.

My granpap always said save your money in the booms when money is easy to come by but prices are high. Spend it in the busts when everyone else is short and prices are low. Prices are going to go back up again, and you can always sell at a profit.

I always knew that old man was wise, and this confirms it once again.

If you've got the money, get busy spending it.

I ordered one from the dealer and it is like $300 with a $65 scope. Why is the one your looking at so much? I am picking mine up today.

I like the look of mine and the trigger is nice. I see that the one your looking at has a different stock. Good luck.