Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .45 Long Colt

Default .45 Long Colt

I got out this weekend to pull the trigger on my ruger in .45 LC.........all I can say is - who wants to empty the rest of my buffalo bores out of my redhawk? That isn't very much fun at all........

I think that I will slow it down a little - even for Griz backup.....330grains at 1375 (not crono'd) is bit much push for my liking - I was surprised to say the least - not a one hand operation with those boolits.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I got out this weekend to pull the trigger on my ruger in .45 LC.........all I can say is - who wants to empty the rest of my buffalo bores out of my redhawk? That isn't very much fun at all........

I think that I will slow it down a little - even for Griz backup.....330grains at 1375 (not crono'd) is bit much push for my liking - I was surprised to say the least - not a one hand operation with those boolits.

I'm convinced there's lot of "liquid courage" or whistling in the graveyard when it comes to handguns for bear protection. Guys try to make up for their inability to hit a barn from the inside by adding bore size, bullet weight and velocity. It's all the purest form of bullsnort if you can't hit what you're aiming at.

I go for as much power as I can shoot well. If I can't hit with something stout enough to do the job, it's a sure sign that I need to do more shooting rather than buy an even bigger handgun. That's not true with a lot of other folks. And the gun manufacturers take full advantage of it, kind of the same way clothes companies know that they can sell more dresses if they convince women they make them look skinny. Make a guy nervous about the gun he's packing, and he'll buy something bigger.

Based on killing large game other than bears with handguns, I'm betting my hide that a flatnose bullet of around 300 grains at around 1100 fps is plenty. And I've shot them enough to get good with them. Good AND fast.

You'll have to find your own comfort zone in terms of killing power. Whatever you pick, shoot it lots and get good with it. And don't listen to the my-gun-is-bigger-than-your gun crowd. Anyone can buy a bigger gun than you, but can they shoot it as well as they need to? I sincerely doubt it.

This must have been out of your new little 4 inch Redhawk?

I second that Brown Bear...1100 fps with 300 grainer broad face bullet will be just as effective...no need to push it bigger or faster...we are talking close range...no difference

I have to agree with brownbear. A 300gr at 1100+ is probably going to hit dirt on the back side of what ever your shooting . Veral from LBT says a lg flat nose at some where between 1100 and 1300 is ideal for lead boolits from hand guns. I believe him. A gut shot from a 460 weatherby will not be as effective as a well placed shot from a decent loaded 41,44, 45, or whatever hand gun. The trick there is well placed, meaning lots of proper practice. I carry a 41mag with 225s at 1480 and don't feel under gunned with that. Would rather have a heavier bullet, but that's the mould I have.
    Anyway, proper bullet placement with an enough bullet is the key.

I believe more is better, but you have to be able to handle it. Have you tried using a SA?

I've used a SA for many years and I can shoot some pretty stout loads in my blackhawk. Hand me a DA and I have a hard time getting thru a cylinder.. hurts my hand. The recoil is much more straight back into the palm. It doesn't roll the way a SA does. I always use the rubber grips on my SA helps cushion a lot over the smooth stock wood grips. Others I know hate the roll of a SA and only shoot a DA like the redhawk.

Either way start with light loads and work your way up both in bullet weight and powder charge. Like anything it takes practice.

I agree a good solid nose 300gr at 1100 is pretty good. I believe a protection gun is for stopping and not killing a hundred yards later. If the bullet will bust the shoulders thats what you want for right now,finish with the heart lung shot after the danger is gone.

Well! Welcome to big bore. I'm in full ageeement with BrownBear and others about the 1100 fps is all needed. With 25 grains of H4227 and the 325 grain WFNs I get 1120 from a 4" gun and it is much easier to shoot.

You really picked a lousy load for your initiation with the new Ruger. The Redhawk frame is hard on the hands and if you have those hogue bantum grips on it it will be hard to hold on to. I prefer the slick wood grips and changed mine out.

I'd like to point, since folks expect me to be sarcastic, that there was never a short Colt so there cannot be a long Colt. Therefore you have a 45 Colt, not a 45 long Colt. It is more of a mule than a colt though, wouldn't you say, huh?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I'd like to point, since folks expect me to be sarcastic, that there was never a short Colt so there cannot be a long Colt. Therefore you have a 45 Colt, not a 45 long Colt. It is more of a mule than a colt though, wouldn't you say, huh?
    Cheers, Murphy!!!!!

And I agree on grips for Redhawks. I've tried most of them and made a few myself. And after all that I'm back to the factory original slick wood version. Seems that Ruger got it right on those.

Thats why I won't buy ammo from makers that put LongColt on the box.Figure if they don't know the real name how can they load it right.

Default .45 short colt

Not to side track the thread, but there WAS a short colt as there is simply a 45 colt-- see http://www.leverguns.com/articles/ta...short_colt.htm

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I agree too.
    With Murphy, and Brownbear.
    I almost always do.
    Those guys say what I wanna hear.

Murphy:
    The 45 Colt Autio is SHORTER.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default twas all they had

when I bought her. figured they would be just fine - I think that I wasted my 34$ because I don't think I will ever shoot them all (20).

I will try 330 grains around 900 to get used to it. Practice makes perfect - but those loads were just no fun to shoot and no way that you would hit Griz twice in a row with those.

As far as what you want to call it....well, you did understand what cartridge I was shooting - right? Musta been good nuff.

The 45 Goverment was for less recoil while mounted and fighing.We must remember smokeless had came in and recoiled more than the standard 45 Colt BP rounds.It was the 45 Goverment not short colt hence no need to call the other Long Colt and they didn't

I'd wager a 300gr. hard cast at 1000 out of the .45 Colt will get a complete pass through from the side on any bear on earth?
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Badman View Post
    Not to side track the thread, but there WAS a short colt as there is simply a 45 colt-- see http://www.leverguns.com/articles/ta...short_colt.htm

That's an interesting story, I enjoyed it but the 45 Gov't round was fired in the Schofield, 45 S&W revolver, and the 45 Colt model 1873. The ammo was made to have one round fits all. Regardless of the headstamp and dimensions. The length of the S&W Schofeld is 1.109" and the rim is .520", the 45 Colt is 1.295" long and the rim is .512". The companies that made 45 Colt and also made 45 Gov't ammo, used the same rim diameter. I'd say either would work in either gun but ther may have been some specs for the specific ammo. But a good story and an good info there.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I agree too.
    With Murphy, and Brownbear.
    I almost always do.
    Those guys say what I wanna hear.

Murphy:
    The 45 Colt Auto is SHORTER.

Smitty of the North
    Yes the 45 Automatic Colt Pistol (ACP) is shorter but it isn't a 45 Short Colt. Well, it is a Colt and it is short but....Colt never made or promoted a cartridge called the 45 Short Colt. They made a 38 short Colt, and a 41 short Colt but not a 45 short Colt, even though there were 45 caliber cartridges that were shorter than the 45 Colt. I think Sam Colt was short, that may be where the confusion started.

What is the difference between a 45 Colt and a Colt 45? (Not the beer)

One is a gun, one is a cartridge.

The 45 AUTO or ACP was for the Browning designed semi-auto model 1911. The 45 AR (Auto Rim) was the rimmed version of the 45 ACP used in the 1917 revolvers made by Colt (and S&W) The 45 ACP could be used in the revolvers with the half moon clips.

Did you ever wonder why there is no caliber headstamp on shorts, longs or longrifles. ?? How do we tell the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    when I bought her. figured they would be just fine - I think that I wasted my 34$ because I don't think I will ever shoot them all (20).

I will try 330 grains around 900 to get used to it. Practice makes perfect - but those loads were just no fun to shoot and no way that you would hit Griz twice in a row with those.

As far as what you want to call it....well, you did understand what cartridge I was shooting - right? Musta been good nuff.

You make a good point here and it should be a good lesson to those who think it a simple task to buy the gun, buy the super bear loads and head for the woods. It takes years of disciplined shooting to handle that level of recoil and it still hurts. Sort of like landing a good punch when you're being punched.

Default Sam Colt was short?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I think Sam Colt was short, that may be where the confusion started.
    So, what was he short of? He wasn't short of good ideas, certainly.

Lost Sheep

Murphy
    You are 100% on that. A 44mag with standard loads can be a hand full let alone loaded with 300+ gr wrist crunchers. And I can't imagine trying to shoot enough of those to get good without reloading and casting. $34 for 20. Wow!!! My bean counter would flip if she caught me shooting those like 22s.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast