Thread: Turnovers in the Quest!

Default Turnovers in the Quest!

I just got word that the 3 front runners possibly couldn't make it up the hill (???), Sebstian came through and found the trail (???) and helped the others out. Kleedehn has still not shown up at 101 yet???? No telephones there, only radios so pray he is alright.

All are very slow comming in. I hope Brent can blast up the hill and get on there tails! Keep praying for terrible trail conditions! help that young guy out!

Default Really tight race now!

With only 3 hours and 15 minutes seperating 1st through 4th place!

My guy is trailing in fourth, but with 150 miles to go, he is still in the running!

Check out the current standings at http://www.yukonquest.com/site/race-updates/

Default Absolutely...

in the hunt. Especially since Hugh has a 2 hr penalty coming up. Brent, not having cut rest as much as Hugh, has a realistic shot at the top 3. He also knows those trails around chena hot springs and two rivers well as he worked out there a few years giving dog tours. some mushers can take wrong turns in the maze of trails around that area. Plus, Brent is wearing a Mushing Magazine patch on his jacket. That is good for at least a mph or two!

What an exciting race. One has to wonder what Hugh was thinking taking the road instead of the trail. Probably dulled thinking process due to cutting rest. i don't think he would have intentionally cheated given a clear head and proper thought process.

Checking in from Circle. The trail runs right next to and ON the road so it is difficult to tell where you are supposed to be, road or shoulder of road. So I can see where he got mixed up. And it looks like he was not the only one as there was dog poop up and down the road lol.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Oh so who is Dr. B that I am supposed to say hi to out here on the trail? There is no vet whose name that starts with a B!

Default Sass gets mentioned

As having incredible sportsmanship. Tonight on Channel 2 news, they told off how Sass stopped to help those in need, using his strength to pull teams up the hill, and back on the trail..
    It has turned out to be a great race after all...
    Winners are those that don't lose sight of what sportsmanship and being a good neighbor means...
    ..Buck,,,,Your Pal Sass is indeed someone the youngsters coming up can look up to as a real hero
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default I agree

Very, very sportsmanlike move from Brent. Even at the expense of his own run.The Quest site has images of him physically being a lead dog in Kleehden's team, helping them up Eagle Summit. There will be some stories to be told after this Quest for sure.

Yep, Brent will probably get the sportsman's award. Sebastian also helped halfway up. We are in Central, waiting for Wayne who should be in shortly. Kyla's in and is probably about ready to pull out despite saying she was going to scratch when we were at the last checkpoint. She looks good, her dogs look good.

Default Update on Brent?

Anyone have any information on Brent? A recent update on the results show Buser in for 5th and Brent still not in yet. He should have been in a while back barring any problems. Hopefully nothing serious.

Default Word is not out yet, but...

I have word that he is alright, but the team is tired and was moving slowly, sometimes not at all.

There's good luck, bad luck and no luck at all. I'll bet Brent believes that he is still blessed with good luck and won't fault his dogs the least.

My guess is Brent will not give up. He'll finish the 45 miles, even if he is in lead and all 8 remaining dogs are in the sled.

A great man he is and I am proud to be called his friend!

Way to go Wild and Free!!

Yep, Brent had to walk his dogs out of Twin Bears but he did and they were fine and they all deserve a good rest. Wayne's left Twin Bears so we are hanging out at Jan's house on the way into town. We'll leave here in about an hour to go wait at the finish line. I am glad this is almost over because I miss my children terribly (and having clean fingernails) but I am also quite sad that this adventure is almost over. I'll have pictures and stories sometime next week, after recovery!