Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Souped up Sheep Boots

Default Souped up Sheep Boots

Anyone ever done this to your boots? Saw this on another hunting forum. Looks like an alternate to crampons.

Wonder how well it would work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default wow

And just think you wouldn't even have to change shoes before heading out to the golf course.

Not sure I'm buying it...

Default WEll

It might work on ice and snow but it could be very slick on shale. Should be noisy too, like a horse walking on a cobblestone street.
    Just my guess .
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Looks to like someone got bored one day.

if you read some of the early o'connor in the rockies they used "hobnailed" boots kind of like that. they were (of course) a spin off of the logger boots or "calks".

these boots are kind of handy (?) on some kinds of terrain, such as climbing trees, but are actually slippery to the point of dangerous on rock or shale.

on top of everything else, if you kneel or sit on the soles........you might move sudden-like and spook game.

happy trails.
    jh

Those would be awesome if you hunt in a rainforest area, like SE Alaska, where everything is steep and is covered in wet slippery grass, and moss. But definately wouldn't use em for most hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by WinMag View Post
    And just think you wouldn't even have to change shoes before heading out to the golf course.

Not sure I'm buying it...
    LOL, yeah I think they would be better on the golf course.

Default Fore!

You've got a helluva slice if you need a pair of those! I'd take the drop and a penalty stroke.

Its legit. Ive got cork boots for goat hunting in SE.

good on dirt or logs but suck on rock

I think a pair of stabilicers with the normal screws replaced with spiked screws would be more practical.

http://www.32north.com/prod_stab.htm

I am surprised more of the SE folks havn't chimed in here. I know that there are more than a few that use Calked boots for hunting Balckailes, Goats and blackies down in that area. For slick steep grass and rain forest it would be hard to beat. Now in the Shale and crags it would be a very poor choice.

Default corked boots

Them is gonna be a trip hazard for me, same as crampons. Gonna have to mend some pants cuffs.

Dennis

Default Honestly

If you were going strait up the mountain from the beach......maybe. All the locations I like to hunt have at least a one mile approach until I hit the climb. Once I'm on the top I try and stay on level spots as much as possible.

There would be times those boots would be great but I wouldn't choose to wear them for an entire hunt. Maybe if I was flying into a really high lake and hunting ultra steep stuff.

Speciality application product IMHO.

Scrambling around in some dense lowland timber with lots of downed logs would get me to get those out too.

Fun to talk about but like any other sweet gaget that comes up here there are alternatives and if we were to bring everything into the field we soon need to hire sherpas to hunt AK. In this case they are already altering a sweet all around boot.

Going up is never a problem........coming down in the dark on slick grass/logs they save your ass literally. They are OK on rock and great on ice.

You can buy extra tuffs with the cork soles for pretty cheep.

Im a believer.

Default Southeast perspective

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I am surprised more of the SE folks havn't chimed in here. I know that there are more than a few that use Calked boots for hunting Balckailes, Goats and blackies down in that area. For slick steep grass and rain forest it would be hard to beat. Now in the Shale and crags it would be a very poor choice.

I hunted out of Juneau for 30 years. From the beach to alpine, in the rain, snow, and wet of every possible variety. From my perspective those things would be not only unnecessary but dangerous. I'd be a lot less worried about slipping on wet vegetation than I would be about those things gettng caught in something and either tripping me or twisting an ankle or knee. On wet rock, particularly wet rock with wet moss or other vegetation covering it they'd be especially dangerous.

For glacier crossing they "might" be OK but they'd be less effective than a pair of real crampons since they have no toe points.

Its pretty much been said..

Caulk boots rock. Period. If im hunting or hiking in SE between 500 feet and 2200 feet you bet your buttocks I've got mine one. I own three pairs. Wore a pair every day for two years before I decided to go back to school.. Don't walk on rocks, don't walk in slick steep mud, other than that.. they are awesome.

I don't find them "dangerous", they aren't any more likely to get your foot stuck than any other boot. Moss covered rocks are going to get you with or without caulks on... You aren't really any more likely to trip with them on unless you suck at walking..

if you're going to walk on a glacier.. get some crampons. the nails aren't that long.. And while better than normal boots.. i don't think they would perform nearly as well as crampons on a glacier.

Mine have saved my butt more than a few times.

I would not use them for sheep country up here. My next pair of caulks will be like those pictured. Probably a pair of meindls that I will send to hoffman and have them caulk them with a nice spring heel, maybe their predator extreme sole.

I had a pair of boots made just like them for a goat hunt and I didn't like them one bit they where noise as hell in the rocks!!

Aaron

Tupper Lake, NEW YORK IN THE CENTER OF THE ADIRONDACK MTS.

Default Great goat hunting boot

I used a pair of corked Meindls last Sept. on a goat hunt in Misty Fjords and they were great. You can really get good traction with them. They grab the rocks better than you would imagine but I`m sure they would be treacherous on shale. They are really helpful coming back down the steep stuff. My guide(Ed Toribio) insisted on them and I was glad he did. Just my two cents!

I'd rather have something I could take off on the end of the day at camp
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast