Thread: Ak Hunting News: Game Board Adds New Nelchina Subsistence Rules

Arrow Ak Hunting News: Game Board Adds New Nelchina Subsistence Rules

This news clip is from Alaska Hunting News. Discussion is welcome, but these robot generated news threads are not monitored by the webmaster.

The Alaska Board of Game changed the rules slightly in the high profile Nelchina caribou Tier II hunt, according to the Anchorage Daily News. The board rejected so-called "super exclusive" subsistence areas, but did reduce the household bag from three to two, and voted to require salvage of head and hide.

Read the entire Anchorage Daily News article >>>

Read the individual article on Alaska Hunting News...

We welcome news tips that are useful to the community. Please send tips and links to complete stories by email to webmaster@outdoorsdirectory.com.

Does it seem strange that they would want you to salvage the head and hide on a subsitence hunt? What good is salvaging them except to make a trophy? This seems backwards to me, what am I missing?

Greg - I could be wrong, but it seems like the thrust of the new requirements is to make it as hard as possible on hunters so that some people will decide it's just not worth it. If less people therefore apply, then the state can institute a limited drawing permit hunt. True, most people already salvage the antlers, but not always. I didn't keep the antlers off of the Tier II caribou I took this year, nor did I take the hide, liver, kidneys, or heart. If they go the next step and restrict ATV use, then carrying all of these things out of the field will cause a very real burden to the hunter. Whether you're in favor of the Tier II hunt or not, I think it's pretty clear that many folks are trying to chip away at it. It seems like the new rules are just another way to do that. More salvage requirements = more burden (especially if it's walk-in only) = less applicants for a limited # of permits.

-Brian

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by GreginAlaska View Post
    Does it seem strange that they would want you to salvage the head and hide on a subsitence hunt? What good is salvaging them except to make a trophy? This seems backwards to me, what am I missing?

It's a subsistance hunt. Waste not, want not. C&T fashion. 100 years ago it was kept under real subsistance needs not the pretend ones that are used in this day and age. Fish heads, moose heads, caribou heads and whatnot are all salvagable items. Why waste them?

New Tier 11 Caribou points scoring system.

Please answer the following questions as truthfully (politicians exempt) as you can.

1: Do you eat liver? Yes__ No__.

2: Does your spouse allow you to have a dead animal hide on her bed? Yes__ NO__.

3: Do caribou have 1 or 2 kidneys? 1__ 2__ No idea__

4: Do you own a rusty old Subaru? Yes__ No__.

5: Does your home have a motor? Yes__ No__.

6: Do you Own_, Borrow_, Steal_ your hunting guns?

7: Which is closer to your residence? Safeway__ Welfare office__.

8: Have you ever seen a caribou? Yes__ No__.

9: If yes to 8, do caribou poo in the woods? Yes__ No__ Maybe__.

10: Do you Buy_, Siphon_, or Borrow_ most of your gas?

11: When is the last time you had solid food? 1-5 yrs__ 5-10 yrs.¬__.

12: How many idiots on the Board of Fish and Game can you name? 1-3__ 4-6__.

13: Do you AND your wife like head cheese? Me__ Wife__ I’m from Wisconsin, nuff said__.

14: Which do you prefer? Caribou shank steak__ Ruth’s Chris 24oz Rib eye__ Egg MacSpam__ I answered 1-5 in question 11__.

15: Can you spell N E L C H I N A Yes__ No__ X__

16: Do you know what this means? DO NOT PARK IN FRONT of OR THROW CARIBOU HIDES OR GUT MEAT IN THIS DUMPESTER. Yes__ No__.

Kurt

Default what about

the mental midgets that don't want anybody driving to the trailhead using a motorhome? as if it matters what you drive. i can't wait until they try to define motorhome. how about a guy with a 64 dodge pickup with a ratty old camper in the back?

Here's the plan;

We all go down to the First Student school bus auction and buy them there yeller BUS's. It ain't a motor home!

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by B_M View Post
    Greg - I could be wrong, but it seems like the thrust of the new requirements is to make it as hard as possible on hunters so that some people will decide it's just not worth it. If less people therefore apply, then the state can institute a limited drawing permit hunt. True, most people already salvage the antlers, but not always. I didn't keep the antlers off of the Tier II caribou I took this year, nor did I take the hide, liver, kidneys, or heart. If they go the next step and restrict ATV use, then carrying all of these things out of the field will cause a very real burden to the hunter. Whether you're in favor of the Tier II hunt or not, I think it's pretty clear that many folks are trying to chip away at it. It seems like the new rules are just another way to do that. More salvage requirements = more burden (especially if it's walk-in only) = less applicants for a limited # of permits.

-Brian
    OK, I see now. Ya I didn't bring out the rack from the bull I shot this year either, it was pretty nice but I have a nicer one at home so I left it.

Quote Originally Posted by AlleninAlaska View Post
    It's a subsistance hunt. Waste not, want not. C&T fashion. 100 years ago it was kept under real subsistance needs not the pretend ones that are used in this day and age. Fish heads, moose heads, caribou heads and whatnot are all salvagable items. Why waste them?
    C&T fashion?

I must be too "Americanized". I don't consider parts of heads to be something I would eat...except in a hotdog. ;-)

Question Allen Glore

Allen,

I guess I have a hard time getting your drift. What is your opinion on this hunt, cynicism aside?

For example, shouldn't my mother-in-law in Northern Maine who lives off of a measely SS income be first priority (in an economically depressed area with no economy) for the moose tags as opposed to the current law that is a draw tag that everyone from Alaska to Massachussets (Kennedys?) is on equal footing? This is a very slippery slope...........This is not just an Alaskan issue!

As I stated in my other post, it ain't a perfect world.

Default no, she should not have priority

nobody should.

Red face Nelchina

Kurt S, that application is too funny!

Just to clarify something: One reason people get tense around someone with a huge expensive RV and many 4 wheelers subsistance hunting is that off the Fish and Game Website:

If the harvestable portion of a game population is not sufficient to provide opportunity for all subsistence users the BOG shall distinguish among subsistence users based on 1) customary and direct dependence on the game population and 2) Ability of the subsistence user to obtain food if subsistence use is restricted.

It is difficult to see how someone with $100,000 worth of gear could not obtain food if their subsistence use is restricted. That is what riles people. Like Kurt jokes, if you steal most of what you have, live in a bus and drive a Rusty subaru its a little easier to stomach your having a subsistence preference.

LOL.........that was well put Sollybug!!

So you think any out of state hunter should always have the same chance at a draw as a resident?!?! Wow......no Registration hunts.

I posted this to show how we still have it relatively good here because I think the way Maine does it is too unfavorable to the residents-esp. given the depressed economy in the Northern counties.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Please define SUBSISTANCE.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    Kurt S, that application is too funny!

Just to clarify something: One reason people get tense around someone with a huge expensive RV and many 4 wheelers subsistance hunting is that off the Fish and Game Website:

If the harvestable portion of a game population is not sufficient to provide opportunity for all subsistence users the BOG shall distinguish among subsistence users based on 1) customary and direct dependence on the game population and 2) Ability of the subsistence user to obtain food if subsistence use is restricted.

It is difficult to see how someone with $100,000 worth of gear could not obtain food if their subsistence use is restricted. That is what riles people. Like Kurt jokes, if you steal most of what you have, live in a bus and drive a Rusty subaru its a little easier to stomach your having a subsistence preference.
    My thoughts exactly.

Default Mr Banker, and Mr. Shmuck

Just suppose for S'ts and Ggl's.

Joe Banker was born and raised in New York. He gets a college deg in finance and goes to work for Wells Fargo. An opening comes up in Glennalllen Ak and the boss says go north young man.
    Joe moves to Glennallen, he needs the experience to move up and it's only a temp 2 yr assignment. Never having been to Alaska, he decides to buy a Motor home, and tootle around on his weekends off. Joe makes $60k a year, and has his housing and vehicle provided. He also gets a bonus if he can stiff enough locals into buying stuff they make a killing on. Lets say the package is $100k a yr.

Should Joe Banker get a fed or state subsitence permit? Should he have priority?

Joe Schmuck is 20 years old, he hasn't a clue where or what he wants to do, but ends up in Gulkana washing supercub tires. He makes $25K a year, has never hunted, doesn't have a fishing pole, but has a pickem up truck with a camper on it. He may be there 6 months, a year, has no idea. He lives in his camper on the boss's parking ramp at the airport.

Should Joe Schmuk get a fed or state subsistenc permit. Should he have priority?

Kurt

In a country that is supposed to have "equal protection under the law" no one should get priority. The proper way to do it would to require everyone to report their kills at once and maybe check in everyday to see if the hunt has been closed. Yes I know that would be a bit on the impracticle side. That said, I have been awarded permits in subsitence hunts and I make more than enough money to buy food at the store. I guess that's my hypocritical side. ;-)