Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting/mountianeering Pants

Default Hunting/mountianeering Pants

now that we have the gear nuts attention with the boot thread...i'm in the market for a pair of hunting pants...
    light weight, for use with a liner pant when it dips a bit, wind/water resistant (not PROOF) tough as nails, color don't matter. i was looking at the accent pant from sitka gear but decided against it.

ideas?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

why did you decide against the ascent? I love mine and am ordering another pair soon. ive beat them pretty well and the only scratch is a burn mark through the knee. that was from burning down an avalanche chute with 2 ft of water in it for about 15 yards. lol that was quite the sight. i soooo wish it couldve been on camera. head over heels and all then balanced myself on one knee and had my other leg bent with my foot out to catch. sorry for the rant. i dont have any complaints tho. i love the fit of them too. might wanna go a size up if you dont like a snug fit per say.

I used the Sitka Mountain (old ascent version) pants all last year and really liked them. Dry fast and somewhat wind/water resistant. However, I am recently purchased a set of the Mammut Champ pants and really like how they fit better than the Sitka pants. They are stretchy and basically move with me better. However, Im glad I listend to all of the previous reviews and ordered a size up as they fit perfectly in a 33-34 instead of my usual size 32. Good luck.

are the mammut looser or tigher? how is the fit different. the accent pants are pretty comfy on me but i don't really need the camo and wanted to see if i could find something of similar quality for a couple bucks less.
    Master guide 212

Default Guide Pants

I am not a fan of Patagonia's message but I am a fan of some of their gear. I have been using their Guide pant for the past couple years and they have been everything for me that you mentioned you are looking for. I have used them on the slope for a couple of spring caribou hunts, in the mountains for several sheep hunts, I have done several non-hunting mountaineering trips in them and they have showed very little wear. They have a great range of motion, they are nearly wind proof and very water resistant. I had a pair of light suspenders sewed into mine which has been a nice addition.

Default pants

cabela's microtex, have both the regular weight & the lite weight, excellent wind resistance, tough, dry fast, cargo pockets, if it gets cold just layer with long john's, won't be replacing anytime soon..jmo2

If you can get them on sale, the REI mistral isn't a bad pant - the tan color is okay, they're quiet, the DWR only lasts for a little but but they dry way quick, they stretch nicely when climbing, etc.

Downside is they're not the toughest thing in the world. I don't hunt enough to wear them out prematurely, but you might...I'll get several more week-long hunts out of mine, for sure.

I am in love with the cabelas windbreaker fleece pants. They have served me well and don't require long johns down to about 15 deg. They are very tough with courdura on the knee areas. I know that they are not what you think of when you think traditional mountain pants, but I wear these things about all winter and anytime it is cool.

Hey I have those too and wear the you know what out of em. I think your talking about these

Default On Sale

Cub,
    Are these them? (Item: 9IS-922637). They are on sale right now. Cool!! Might have to get some. You turned me onto that insulator jacket and I love it!! Thanks Bro!

Casey

Yup thats them, and they were on sale when I bought em too. I've had em a couple years.

Just a heads up on those Cabelas windshear pants, they are very warm! You will not hike hard or long in em without sweating. I keep in my pack in case I have to hunker down, I wear em at night and in the mornings around camp, if the morning is a real cold one I'll start off wearing them and then swap em out as the temps warm up. And on occassion have donned them while laying up top watching sheep when the wind was blowing good. They are warmer than my Sporthills.

Those are the pants. Very warm and I too will be seen in them very frequently. It is one of my better buys from Cabelas. I have been thinking about getting the matching top, but I am worried I might bake.

I guess I am the freak or I hunt harder than some because I demolished a pair of Sitka mountain pants in less than a season. The 90% jacket was toast too. They are both in the mail headed back to Sitka HQ for replacement. The material on them rocks but my take so far is the workmanship is very poor! All of my failures were due to the stitching pulling free in the seams. Basically the knees, crotch and button are all destroyed. The 90% jacket zipper came unstitched which is what earned it a ride in the same box as the pants...
    If I can get down small enough I will be going to a pair of Mammut Champ pants, if not there is a scent lok poly pant in mothwing canyon that looks pretty nice. I am not a gimick guy so scent lok is not high on my list but if the pants are comfortable, dry fast and are wind resistant then they may get the nod. I am hopefull that Sitka will send me the new Ascent pants and new 90% Jacket as a replacement, perhaps they have improved the quality control on them. I did notice that the new jacket has the zipper sewn in better so the jacket fabric actually wraps around it at the bottom so the zipper is sandwitched between them so it doesn't pull on the stitching directly. At least that looks like an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Hey I have those too and wear the you know what out of em. I think your talking about these

I've had those pants for about a year now so I've only had them through one hunting season. So far, so good though. They aren't something I'd go to when it's a bit on the warm side though, especially if doing a bunch of strenuous hiking. For warmer weather, I used my REI Mistral pants last season. With a pair of polypros on underneath, they worked well. I am concerned they won't hold up to tough use over the long haul, but for light duty I've been very happy with them.

Still looking for something tougher than Mistral pants and lighter weight than Cabelas windbreaker fleece...

Jeff

well i sold out, bought the bullet and picked up the last pair of L Accent pants from SW in anchorage....man i'm weak....
    Master guide 212

Default Marmot Scree Pants

These things are pretty good. They are made out of a proprietary schoeller cloth and are extremely tough. They don't cost a fortune and "ride" in an extremely comfortable fashion. No monkey butt and they are warm and decent in the rain.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Mammut Champ pants are expensive and worth every penny. Comfortable and light, and they flex to allow unrestricted movement. The same goes for Sporthills. They may not look it but the Sporthills are better wind blockers than the Champs and that makes them a little warmer. Like the Champs they're not restrictive at all. Both will dry very quickly after getting wet. I've been totally impressed with both, but I'd go for Champs if I was buying another pair today.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Just a heads up on those Cabelas windshear pants, they are very warm! You will not hike hard or long in em without sweating. I keep in my pack in case I have to hunker down, I wear em at night and in the mornings around camp, if the morning is a real cold one I'll start off wearing them and then swap em out as the temps warm up. And on occassion have donned them while laying up top watching sheep when the wind was blowing good. They are warmer than my Sporthills.
    Cub,

A buddy and my bro both have a pair of those pants. I'm looking at getting a pair possibly for the time spent sitting and glassing in Oct. on Kodiak for goats. I am just curious how fast they dry out. If I were to get them wet would it be a while before I could expect them to be dry, or do they dry relatively fast??
    Oh and BRWNBEAR you totally did sell out. Just kidding, I'll let to hear what you think of those pants this time next year if they work for ya all season thats a pretty good testament to the Ascent pants. Keep us posted.

ya i'll give a report so far they are holding up great in the plastic bag their sitting in....
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast