Thread: Predator Calling Percentages

Default Predator Calling Percentages

I was recently asked a question about predator calling, and it got me to thinking how others would respond. How many stands do you average for each animal killed? I had to think long and hard and it's pretty low. I'd say this year I'm probably 30-40 stands per animal. For my first couple of years calling, I didn't kill squat. I called in animals, but season's were closed for them, so I couldn't kill them. During those first few years, I was basically making stands anywhere that I had visibility to shoot. Then, after a few years of trial and error, I've kind or "refined" my approach to calling. I'm now calling some really thick cover, especially during the day and by night, I hit the large open areas. I know guys down in the lower 48 seem to have phenomenal numbers, but that just doesn't seem to be the case for me up here. Anybody else want to add some more to how their percentages stack up and any additional "tips". This season, one key item that has helped, has been the use of a motorized decoy. I know for sure that 2 Coyotes came at direct runs to the caller because they saw the decoy bouncing around.

In Alaska I make 5-7 stands a trip. I call in something about every other trip. Get a shot about every 4th or 5th trip. So, say 6 x 4.5 = 27 stands per shot. Rough numbers of course. It is much more productive in the lower 48 states I've called. Alaska is a tough place to call in a lot of predators.

What part of the state are you usually hunting, if you don't mind me asking? Are you getting "busted" by most of the animals you call in? Typically, if I get something to respond, and I see it, it's coming in on a hard run. I'm 100% on e-caller setups this year and had a couple of misses with mouthcalls. I know a few guys who tried calling up here and just gave up because of the low percentages. They were used to hunting the Southwest area and getting something almost every time out or more.

I mostly hunt southcentral, both north and south of Anchorage. I don't know if I would call it getting busted, but I see quite a bit of "suspicious" behavior. Most critters will try to wind the call location. I don't think many hunters realizes this and therefore don't setup for it or look for it. With so much hunting pressure and the fact that Alaska has wolves; foxes, lynx, and coyotes have to be pretty cautious not to get shot or eaten. They want to figure out what is going on when a rabbit is screaming. Yes, I do see quite often see coyotes come barreling in and I also do get busted now and then too. Coyotes are pretty smart and it only takes once for them to become educated and shy about coming into a call.

Default Wind

I agree with you 100% on setting up right and watching wind. It's typically not windy where I hunt here in the interior, but I always try to set up my caller so I can "channel" the animals to where I would like them to go. They'll almost always try to get downrange of the loud end of the speaker and once they hit the loudest spot, they b-line towards the caller/decoy. I'm sure in the past on some of my stands that I've been busted because of how I setup. One thing I really try to watch now is when I setup on hillsides and what the fog from my breath does. It makes a perfect wind/thermal indicator.

Delta Jct.

Default not good

I was kind of getting a complex about calling up here. I'd say my odds are about the same as you guys though. I do a lot of calling without a lot of results, even when I lived in the bush and nobody else there calls, so the critters haven't been educated. I've called in Idaho, Utah, Oregon, and Nevada with great results, I'd say 1/5-1/10. (maybe not kills, but at least shots) We did do a lot of spot and sqeal sequences though. We'd just drive the highways or back roads until we saw a dog, then, pull over when we were out of sight and start calling. It worked great. I only mouth call so far, I'd love to get a e-caller but just haven't bought one yet. I've never tried to call thick cover, maybe I need to change my ways and try something new.

Default Delta Tough

I've spend some time screaming into the wind down there in Delta with very minimal results. I've heard Yotes quite a bit, but those dogs seem well educated. I'm not sure how many locals down there call, but they seem really stubborn to respond. It's tough with the shifting winds down there getting a good setup sometimes too, so I always try to find a "pocket" in the snow where I can hunker down and stay out of the wind.

Default 3 for 5

I have a three out of five average for animals comming in. I do spot and call hunting. I find the tricky part to be the spotting. I seem to see animals every other trip. I sometimes I have to land quite a ways away from where I see the preditor in order to get the setup right. Lots of fun trying, and success is even more fun!!!
    Pick A Spot

When you say land, are you talking about landing a plane? I've never called/hunted that way, but it seems like you could get into some good calling areas. I'd love to see something every other time I go out, but it just doesn't seem to happen. I'm zero for 3 outings (20 stands) now and will continue to call until the season's over.

Yeah, I'm thinking looking for preds with an aircraft is on a totally different planet than a roadie like me can get into. Very nice. I've spent a considerable amount of nonhunting air time in both fixed wing and helicopters all over Alaska and am amazed at what I've seen from the air. I'm very envious.