Thread: Dungies?

Default Dungies?

Just wondering if the Dungies are around during this time of year at the same depths as they are during the summer. Haven't checked the regs yet to see if there is a season or anything but if they are still around the 30ft depth out in Echo Cove, I would like to restock my fridge. Any ideas?

i dont know about fishing for them, but im pretty sure there is a set season. when i was up in AK this summer, i started. i think it started June 16th, or so. make sure you check the regs before setting pots.

I checked the regs. The season is open year round for residents.

Winter = deep
    Spring = movin' up the hill
    Summer = shallow
    Fall = back down the hill

Some places they don't go deep, they just bury themselves in a mud or muck shelf and wait it out. You see this a lot in the fronts of sheltered bays or off the mouths of rivers with strong subaqueous fan formations...

Yes, they're in all the usual Juneau holes year-round. My winter shakedown run is usually to run my pots starting in early March....soon!

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default They Will Be Deep Compared to Summer

Double the amount of buoyline and you will be getting close to them. They can be pretty dormant this time of the year, but if you have good bait you can find some of those big purple guys on the mud bank in front of Echo Ranch.

It could take some prospecting - you may find the female red kings now because they will be up in shallower water. Dealing with them gets old in a hurry - they can completely plug a dungie pot. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
    Yes, they're in all the usual Juneau holes year-round. My winter shakedown run is usually to run my pots starting in early March....soon!

-Case
    Thanks Case. I'll let you guys know what I find if the weather cooperates this weekend and I fix my Jeep.