Thread: Towing a canoe

Default Towing a canoe

Hi all -- I saw the previous threads on towing a canoe, but it wasn't clear if those of you who do it tow at planing speed or just crawling along?

Someone mentioned the possibility of cracking the hull but I'm wondering if that is actually a possibility? I need to tow an 18' kevlar freighter canoe.

Finally, if anyone has a picture of a harness that has worked, please post it if you can.

Thanks!

i assisted a guy on the SAG river couple years ago that had dumped his canoe, and his grandson, they spent a cold night along the river and all his gear was lost. F & G spotted canoe and part of caribou from air.
    anyway days later we attempted to tow did not like being on step and i had to be to get back to road. EMPTY CANOES WILL FLY 15-20 FEET INTO THE AIR. COULD NOT TIE ON FRONT SO WE TIED IT CROSS WAYS ON REAR OF MY 13 FOOT JET BOAT. DID JUST FINE THEN.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

me and a buddy towed a 17 foot grumman with some of his gear tied to the bottom of the canoe across skilak in three footers . it was not fun and im surprise we didnt lose it. if you can somehow tie it rigid so tracks behind you and dosent want to veer off course that would be better. the best way would to haul it inside of the boat if possible. good luck

Default towing harness

Quote Originally Posted by canuckjgc View Post
    Hi all -- I saw the previous threads on towing a canoe, but it wasn't clear if those of you who do it tow at planing speed or just crawling along?

Someone mentioned the possibility of cracking the hull but I'm wondering if that is actually a possibility? I need to tow an 18' kevlar freighter canoe.

Finally, if anyone has a picture of a harness that has worked, please post it if you can.

Thanks!
    i've towed my 21 freighter before at cruise and be sure to keep the bow up. sorry no pictures

Thumbs down

they dont tow they wave like a flag on a windy day ..just as soon as u get on step it will... like a overloaded 1/2 ***** trailer starts moving behind a truck... my 2cents no refunds
    Last edited by atvalaska; 02-26-2009 at 12:22. Reason: spellin
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Default Nope, didn't work

We tryed to tow a Colman out of Whittier @ 10 to 12 knots, wow bad idea. After trying to rig it a couple ways to keep it from flying up, darting right and left and our last attempt diving straight down under water. We to layed it across the back. Looked silly as ****. Coming back in we strapped it to the 18' Inflatable side ways.
    Never found a sweet spot.

Ok thanks, doesn't sound like it's a great plan.

Me and another Fella tried to tow his canoe from Nenana to the wood river on the Tanana. We fought that canoe all the way to the wood river. We tried everything, close to the boat, farther back, bridal around the canoe to hold the nose up, holding it by hand, ect.... After too many close calls, we decided to strap it on the boat cross ways. No matter what we tried as soon as we got on step it would start walking like a zara spook fishing lure. Hope you have better luck.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Cool nice boat a few quiestions for ya

Looks like it can pack a decent load. Can you haul an average size honda 4 wheeler? What kinda speed can you get and Would a little bigger ob get you more speed. I got a 25' wooldridge classic with 460 and 3stage kodiak. Its like C5 galaxy cargo plane but I can haul anything but its expensive to operate. Does say a 20 footer with a big out board hold its own say agaisnt a 20 footer with a small block inboard. Probably gets better mileage. When I get my truck paid for im gonna be looking at downsizing a little to 20 or 22 foot. The thing is what kinda longevity do you get out of an outboard? A replacemnt ob is 8-12 grand and I can Get reman 460 to town for around 2500. And I can work on the thing myself.
    What kind gph are you getting? I can only guess but im probably using more than 15gph. In my 100 mile round trip to river property I burn between 65 to 75 gallons running at 28 to 34mph at 3600to 3700 rpm with a 700 -1000 lb load. This is a about a 5 hour run round trip depending on the weather gotta cross An hour of occasionaly nasty taku inlet to get to into the river. Gotta love that 750 holley double pumper.