Thread: Need a trigger job done

Default Need a trigger job done

Can anyone recommend a good gunsmith in Anchorage area that can do a triger job on a Rem 700? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Huntor View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good gunsmith in Anchorage area that can do a triger job on a Rem 700? Thanks!

You're kidding?! There are three screws to adjust. The sear engagement is the back one, the top front is the overtravel. These two push on opposite sides of the trigger. (loosen one to move the other) The bottom front is the weight of pull. Don't forget to locktite them back. Slam the bolt forward hard to test before you put it back in the stock. I can give you details and what tools to use if you want to try it your self. More fun.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    You're kidding?! There are three screws to adjust. The sear engagement is the back one, the top front is the overtravel. These two push on opposite sides of the trigger. (loosen one to move the other) The bottom front is the weight of pull. Don't forget to locktite them back. Slam the bolt forward hard to test before you put it back in the stock. I can give you details and what tools to use if you want to try it your self. More fun.
    murphy's right (not about the kidding part) about being able to "adjust" your trigger. i don't think it is Quite that simple because i want the trigger to BALANCE. i am after a crisp release and a light pull. your version of light should be based on your needs.

here we go....clean the goo from the screws (i use a dental pick) then screw out the weight screw until you can't feel any spring tension or the rifle won't cock with the muzzle up. Then gradually turn in that screw until there is enough pressure to hold the trigger even when the bolt is slammed.
    NEXT cock the rifle and turn the sear engagement screw in S L O W L Y until it releases the striker. back it out 1/2 turn. slam the bolt hard a 1/2 dozen times to proof your work. if the striker follows the bolt on closing the trigger, spring tension or sear engagement needs to increase. regoo the screws with laquer or nail polish.

a little overtravel is necessary for a good trigger, so keep that in mind.

BALANCE your screw work with a trigger guage (or by feel) and adjust to your liking. most rifles will show improvement in the 3 1/2# - 4 # range. i shoot competition and use them lighter. REMEMBER you are responsible for muzzle control, and an accidental firing for ANY reason is never acceptable.

happy trails.
    jh

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Stan Jackson is a GOOD trigger adjuster. 349-3854

He will CLEAN AND adjust the Rem. 700 triggers for a very reasonable price.

If you have ever lubricated your 700 trigger, or you don't know it's history, that is a VERY good idea. Then don't mess with it, except maybe adjust the one screw having to do with poundage.

Rem. 700 triggers can have a problem IF, they are dirty, or gummed up. (When you take the safety off, the gun can fire.)

After it's CLEANED AND adjusted, don't mess with it. (Like spray it with WD 40??)

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Thanks guys, I really wasn't kidding. I've read that you really need to know what you're doing before you "screw" around with a trigger. Murphy, if you're willing to talk me thru it, I'll give it a "shot".

Thanks,
    Steve

Just get on the internet and search for "Remington 700 trigger adjustment" You'll get MANY hits with detailed instructions and pictures on how to do the adjustments. As Murphy stated, its not that hard, even I can do it. Just take your time and test it, safely, afterwards. Don't make it too light.

Default Seek a Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Huntor View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good gunsmith in Anchorage area that can do a trigger job on a Rem 700? Thanks!
    Like a few of mentioned you could do it yourself. I have quite a few Model 700's and the first thing I do before even shooting them is take them to a Gunsmith and have a complete accuracy package done on them, including a trigger job as I like my rifles to break crisp @ 3.5
    These guns are made on a production basis and sometimes the tolerances are quite high. I have them go through the entire firearm. I once bought a Model 700 from Sportsmans and did the usual preinspection before purchase and seemed ok. After dropping it off at the gunsmith he called me a few hours later to ( ComeTake A Look) at what he had found. Seems as he was going over the Brand New out of the box rifle, it was missing some rifling as he showed me through his bore scope. I was able to return the rifle and get another and I am sure this saved me hours of trouble and most likely years of having a firearm which didn't shoot well.
    I sold a few of these 700's and everyone asks who did the work. For Me, I don't spend enough time tearing these firearms apart to know them that well and would prefer to take them to a pro for any work.
    Awhile back I had some trigger work done on my Glock. The guy over there on Old Seward & Dimond next to Wiggy's did a good job for a fair price.( Can't think of the name off hand)
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

I broke the red "Seals of God" on the 3 trigger adjustment screws on 3 of my Kimber rifles this weekend. They all suffered from a case of creep. I followed the Remington 700 trigger adjustment procedure that I downloaded off the computer.( The secret is not yet out on how to adjust a Kimber trigger). They all break cleanly at 3 pounds and I did all of them in less than an hour. They all passed the safety tests with flying colors. Adjusting a trigger is not some mysterious event and it gives you an excuse to spend a little more quality time with your loved ones.