Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing camera recommendations

Default Fishing camera recommendations

Hey guys,

My better half "misplaced" our digital camera (which I quickly forgave because she puts up with me ).
    I know there's a photography forum but I'm specifically looking for recommendations for fishing/camping trips. Have a good buddy who highly recommends the Olympus waterproof/shockproof/freezeproof models. However, I did some online research and found some disgruntled customers. Evidently, they don't cover water infiltration, drops etc in their warranty! What's the point? Any of you have this problem? I think Pentax and Fuji have models in this range also.
    I think most basic digital reviews give the nod to Canons and Nikons but just curious if any of you have a different perspective.
    Just looking for a 7-10 Megapixel camera with a decent visual zoom. I like the waterproof feature for underwater shots and accidental dunkings on float trips or wading slips. Not looking for a digital SLR or anything to huge. just something that will fit in my vest and take good pics.

Thanks!

Beamer

After losing/destroying two camera's in the water. I bought the Olympus camera. I liked it so much I ended up buying another one so I could have one and my wife could have one. It's been with me all over the world from Iraq/Afghanistan, to China, to rivers of Alaska. It take great pics, is easy to use, fits in my fly vest, and I have not had any issues with it. It's a great camera for the price IMO.

Default pentax

Take a look at the Pentax Optio W60. It is a 10 megapixel waterproof camera. I am very happy with mine, it takes great pictures both above and under water. I think they are waterproof down to 15 feet, but if I fall in that deep, I don't think I will be thinking about taking pictures. You can shop around online and find them for around 225.

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by jakec5253 View Post
    Take a look at the Pentax Optio W60. It is a 10 megapixel waterproof camera. I am very happy with mine, it takes great pictures both above and under water. I think they are waterproof down to 15 feet, but if I fall in that deep, I don't think I will be thinking about taking pictures. You can shop around online and find them for around 225.
    +1 but it looks like canon is coming out w/ a wp p&s too
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog-11 View Post
    After losing/destroying two camera's in the water. I bought the Olympus camera. I liked it so much I ended up buying another one so I could have one and my wife could have one. It's been with me all over the world from Iraq/Afghanistan, to China, to rivers of Alaska. It take great pics, is easy to use, fits in my fly vest, and I have not had any issues with it. It's a great camera for the price IMO.
    Another Vote for the Olympus Stylus 1030. Great Camera!

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Another vote for the Olympus 1030....it's a good camera for sure.

2 downsides to it from my own experience...
    The lens position on the camera. After using it numerous times I've learned to keep my fingers away from the lens, however, when I ask someone to take a picture using it, they almost always have a finger in the picture. What a stupid position for the lens instead of being in the center of the camera like most.

The other thing is there is no view finder on that camera. Only the LCD screen. If it is real sunny, sun hits the LCD at certain angles, etc. you can't see the LCD screen very well, and you can't see the picture that you are taking because of that. It's been a real pain a couple of times.

I tend to be brand loyal and was a Sony person for many years. But the wife wanted a Canon like her friends had, so we bought one. I switched brands. I like a Canon. Most of them use SD cards, which, from my experience, are less expensive and eaiser to find than the XD cards.
    So, when I read ak_powder_monkey's thread, I checked. Sure enough, looks like Canon has a waterproof camera.
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...delFeaturesAct

Its worth checking into. Try newegg.com. They usually have really good pricing on cameras.
    Stike that! Looks like the camera doesn't hit the market until May.
    Ben

pentex w60 i have the older model w30 and w20 can't say enough about them,great outdoor camera,they can take a beating and keep right on taking pic.............

I have the Pentax W20 (or W30). Great waterproof camera. Heard good things of the Olympus waterproof camera as well. Check them out at B&H Photo website. Great place to buy from. Consider a small neoprene sleeve/case to protect the lcd screen.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thumbs up

I have a Sony DSC-W170 and I love it. It's got a 5x Optical Zoom with a Carl Zeiss lens. Its 10.1 megapixels and has a large LCD screen on the back. It is not waterproof, but if you are careful with it, you should be alright. It ran me $199 bux.

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

Default +1 for Pentax Optio...

W60, flawless function in rain in and under water x 4 years now.
    Great pictures. Excellent battery life (buy a second battery with your camera). Small and slim enough to comfortably fit into wader pocket.

I think Canon and Sony make great cameras. If theirs are waterproof and they're available at a good price (Cameraland deal for instance), they're probably fine too.

Good luck.

Default W60

Beamer,
    I bought the w60 last Sept. It's a great camera for the reasons mentioned below - I bought it for its waterproof capabilities.

I would note two items I haven't been particularly satisfied with:
    1. the picture viewer scratches easily. I had to buy a soft cloth case to keep the screen from getting anymore scratches on it.
    2. the pictures it takes are not terrible, but they are certainly not great. My eight year old 3.2 MP Kodiak point-and-shoot takes more appealing, vibrant pictures. In addition, I experience some blurring when zoomed in.

I've included an above and below water picture if you care to take a look...please no laughing at the ridiculously small size of the trout.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails babytrout.jpg   Canyon.jpg  

Default Olympus Stylus 1030SW

shock proof to 6.6' (so they say)
    crush proof to 220 lbs (again, so they say)
    waterproof to 33'
    freezeproof to 14 degrees F
    10.1 megapixel
    3.6 optical zoom

Durable, waterproof, easy to use, small enough to easily fit in a shirt pocket.

To prevent scratches to any LCD screen you can buy universal screen protectors for a few dollars that you simply cut to size and place on the screen. I bought some made by WriteRight in Best Buy, I think.

Thanks everyone for the great replies and recommendations. I guess my issue with the Olympus' are the multiple reviews stating they had water infiltration issues (i.e. leakage) within the specified depths and Olympus refused to cover within the warranty. I realize a lot of reviews end up negative because when people get pissed off, they tend to vocalize about it. I was curious about anyone up here who might've had problems.

I'm leaning towards the Pentax W60. I'm also considering waiting until the Canon comes out in May. Canon consistently reviews at the top of the point and shoot digitals and seems to have the best sensors in the business.

Flying ties, no one here I know laughs at the size of a fish...besides, don't you know "size doesn't matter"!

Beamerflying

Buy the Pentax W 60. I am sure you will love it. I have the older model and it is an awesome camera. Stays in my chest pocket on my waders on all Alaska float trips. Consider getting the neoprene sleeve (case) to protect the lcd. I just throw mine in a cheap wash cloth and that works too.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default 1030 SW Pictures

Good camera the 1030SW buy local from an authorized dealer. Read the owners manual and shoot away. I have three models of the stylus and all work just fine. The 720SW had leaking seals, returned to Olympus repaired and sent back for $30.00 including shipping.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails n1054262053_30158107_4862.jpg   n1054262053_30158121_5654.jpg  

Nice brown trout pic!

Quote Originally Posted by Charholio View Post
    Nice brown trout pic!

Just a couple more with the old 720SW.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails n1054262053_30158122_5940.jpg   n1054262053_30159537_8880.jpg  

Default so what now...

Quote Originally Posted by flying ties View Post
    Beamer,
    I bought the w60 last Sept. It's a great camera for the reasons mentioned below - I bought it for its waterproof capabilities.
    Now that I posted on the camera I suppose that it would be only nature that I slammed it in the tailgate of my father-in-laws SUV, and broke it every which way but yesterday.

I wonder if it would have survived if it had the "shockproof" capabilities of the Olympus.

Back to the drawing board, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by flying ties View Post
    Now that I posted on the camera I suppose that it would be only nature that I slammed it in the tailgate of my father-in-laws SUV, and broke it every which way but yesterday.

I wonder if it would have survived if it had the "shockproof" capabilities of the Olympus.

Back to the drawing board, I guess.

haha....LOL! I don't think they do the old tailgate test on cameras, sorry to hear that. I do hear that fly rods often try and take that test and fail miserably.... I've heard with those Pentax Cameras the movie taking ability is kind of flawed. They make some kind of noise like shuffling cards. Not that you would by a digital camera just for video taking...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast