Thread: Sako A-V .300 Win Mag Load Suggestions ?

Default Sako A-V .300 Win Mag Load Suggestions ?

Hello folks. I purchased a nice used, Sako A-V(5) in December chambered in .300 Win Mag. It has a 24 inch barrel. Just got the Lee Breechlock Press and kit, and plan to buy a .300 Win Mag die set soon. I also got the book titled "Modern Reloading " by Richard Lee. He has listings and loads for the cartridge with different powders and bullets and velocity rates.

I was wondering (hoping) if one of you Alaskan shooters/hunters had worked up a couple of loads that work OK in the Sako A-V... especially if I am hunting a Moose/Bear *... I'm looking at a 200 to 250 grain round nose...? Maybe?!? My first choice was to get a .375 H&H but after months of shopping online and locally I found this Sako in.300 Win Mag ... and it kept whispering my name--- sooo I had to take it home-.

My Barber is a real gun-guy/reloader/hunter and has said he uses H4831 in his .300 Win Mags. I know different recipes work better in one rifle than another... any suggestions..? Thanks for any ideas!

* No plans yet on going Grizzly/Brown hunting, but they are nearby and in town... Yikes- the City Police Chief found a blackie cub under his porch one morning last summer... Just want to be prepared . Grizzlies often get spotted near Duck Flats.

Mr. Moderator: If this post should be in the "Shooting" section feel free to move it. I'm kinda new to the website. I spent a long time yesterday scrolling around the Threads, but I didn't see any info I could use. If I missed a Thread please point me to it.
    Last edited by Murphy; 02-23-2009 at 00:15.

How's that? I think your in the right spot with this question and I think your barber is spot on also with H4831, but can he cut hair?

I have some loads for my 300 Sako A-V and BTW that barrel is 24 3/8". With 200 and 220 grain bullets RL-22 seems to work for highest velocity but accuracy it still goes to H4831.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Thanks.

Thanks for fixing that typo in my post Murphy. Big thanks for the reply.

I've always liked the Sako Rifles, but being a born/bred Amer i can I wanted a Winchester Model 70 (pre 64) but the prices are such that I'd need to find a rich (and generous) relative.

Now I have to talk myself into buying some powder at the local shop... which is not cheap.