Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spear Fishing in the Salt

Default Spear Fishing in the Salt

Anyone know offhand if the regs for limits are different for spear fishing in Saltwater
    Halibut, Yelloweyes and Lings? I have a group of top spearfishermen who want to try their hand at it this summer.... Can you imagine spearing a 150 pound halibut with no scuba and trying to capture it? I will be sure to post the photos and a detailed story in Mid June, after it happens.

to the best of my knowledge the regs are the same... sportfishing is sportfishing, regardless of method. (as long as t is legal, of course)
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

150lb Halibut and only a snorkel? I'd like to watch the video! Same limits as rod and reel fishing. From my experiance with a 80lb Halibut in a 10' jon boat, I'd really like to see a big one with a spear. Aim for the head, and hope for the best.

yup same limits although I think size limits for lingcod might change in certain areas...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

One of these days somebody's going to be eaten by a salmon shark.

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    Anyone know offhand if the regs for limits are different for spear fishing in Saltwater
    Halibut, Yelloweyes and Lings? I have a group of top spearfishermen who want to try their hand at it this summer.... Can you imagine spearing a 150 pound halibut with no scuba and trying to capture it? I will be sure to post the photos and a detailed story in Mid June, after it happens.
    If you ever want to check out some real seamonsters...visit spearboard.com sometime. Most of those folks are on scuba, but some freedive as well. There are some real whoppers taken on freediving...up to huge tuna.

I'm sure they'd have info on spear game regulations as well...

Default Thanks

Standy by for the photos and video to come in June.

Make sure they know where the brain is and have them aim for that.
    Ive never spearfished before, but Id like to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by RastaHunter View Post
    Make sure they know where the brain is... .
    Makes you wonder if they know where their own brain is!

I can't wait to see those pics and video....
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

To the best of my knowledge as I'm not a wildlife trooper just a poorly paid producer the regs are the same as sportsfishing.

Give Loic Thomas at Last Frontier Diving a jingle. He spear fishes Alaskan waters on regular bases and should have all the facts. F & G may have the answer after a few zillion calls.

http://www.lastfrontierdiving.com/

Should we be rolling tape on this for Alaska Outdoors Television?
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Default here is a link to get an idea of the technique

Ah yes. Looks interesting.

Did you catch our spearfishing episode we shot last summer? If not the links are in my sig. Lings and rockfish at 100 feet. This year we'll try again for Halibut...and some crabbing and whatever else we can scrounge up
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Thumbs up Spearfishing Video

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    Ah yes. Looks interesting.

Did you catch our spearfishing episode we shot last summer? If not the links are in my sig. Lings and rockfish at 100 feet. This year we'll try again for Halibut...and some crabbing and whatever else we can scrounge up

Great spearfishing video, got any freediving spearfishing video? I picked up a couple in Hilo last time on the Big Island, they were spearfishing for wahoo, tuna, mahi-mahi, and octopus. My son and I did a little fishing with polespears, but would love to get setup for guns and gear for up here.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." John Wayne

Default Free Diving

I checked the reg with the troopers and they limits are the same.

Should be interesting to see these guys hunt these fish without Scuba. It will be filmed in HD, so there should be plenty to check out.

The key is knowing where and when there is an abundance of larger halibut in shallower water. That part I already know.

Like I said, I will have the pictures and video as soon as it happens.

Charterboat Operator

Default Halibut.

I heard that a few years back there were a group of divers (w/tanks) that took an 80 lb halibut from cook inlet, supposedly in about 60 feet of water. used an inflatable buoy after it was struck. sounds crazy to me!!!!

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

limits are the same jsut need to be completely submerged from what i remember. dont see a problem with that going after halibut. sounds like a fun ride

We used to shoot 60# plus tuna and sea bass off SanDiego. I've known guys to spear 200+# jewfish....err... colossal grouper... back when that was legal in FL.

I've shot 60# butts and some 5-foot lings up here.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

This is in the Outside magazine...a whole article on spearfishing/freediving. A rather large Tiger Shark. Better them then me....

I'm thinking there needs to a big, giant torpedo hole through that tiger shark before I start "assisting" him to the surface.

IMO, Spearfishing is going to explode as a sport here in Alaska. I've done it, and it's awesome.

Capt, did you have any trouble getting your insurance company to sign off on having spearfisherman on your boat?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast