Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rangefinders

Default rangefinders

whats up with rangefinders? Am I the only one that has problems ranging long distances - I use a bushnell, do the more expensive ones work better? or is it harder to get a reflective hard surface in the winter/snow conditions - any suggestions?

thanks!

I tried several before I bought my Leica CRF 1200. It just plains works every time. I have routinely used it to distances beyond 1000 yards. All it does is range and it does it well. I use it to range rocks, ridges, ect.. to determine distances while on stalks.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I have a Nikon 550, it's not bad. If I try and range an animal or object that is coyote size beyond two hundred yards I just range a tree or something near by to get the range. Large animals like moose are no problem at all. I ranged a cow last September at 420 yards in a swamp.

I bought a Bushnell 1000 Arc first but took it back the next day because of black specs in the lens. After reading the manual they claim that black specs are normal because of the manufacturing process in the led display on the lens.

The Nikon actually cost less at Bass Pro Shop and had a brighter optic.

Iíve had my Bushnell 1000 for about 10 years now and I have had some minor problems with distance ranging but I could account for most of them... bad surface quality on the target mostly.
    Like was mentioned before I just picked another point next to the target and that worked fine.
    Mine has the black specs too but they arenít enough of a problem to bother me.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Theres some info on this current thread in the optics section

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=48854

I'm no expert, but in my opinion there are quite a few factors here. Quality of the rangefinder, weather, size of the object that you are ranging, how "reflective" the object is, and probably how steady your hand is.

After A TON of consideration, I finally bought a Nikon 800 last year. I was first interested in the Swarovski, and probably never should have picked one up and looked through it (HUGE mistake, cause now everything else is just not quite good enough...same for the Leica that Steve mentioned above). Next I looked at the Leupold since I like their rifle scopes. What a piece of crap. WAY too confusing and hard to figure out and I am a gadget kind of guy. Next I moved to everything else. I really like the Nikon. I was going to spend the extra money and get the Monarch 1200, but after I started thinking about how many shots I take that are past 800 yards (none) that I could probably save a little money here. I have been able to range quite a few objects fairly accurately past 800 yards. Stuff that is within shooting range is really good. I did find last year though that it wasn't quite as good in heavy rain and snow. I figure with all the "stuff" that is coming down it must interfere a bit.

In the end, I really like the simplicity of my Nikon 800. Pretty much point and shoot. I also got a Nikon tether so I don't have to worry about losing it.

Richard

Default Nikon 1200 Monarch

I have had several 800 yard randgefinders and I found that for sheep and goat hunting, I just could not get the type of distance information I wanted. I went with the 1200 and problem solved.
    But! I think I am going to sell my Nikon and 10 x 42 el binos and go with the LIcea range finding binos, weighs about the same as the combined rang/bino's that I currently own and it is not in my pocket when I need it. I have had several cases where I could have ranged and shot, if my range finder was with my bino's.

Default Leica

I bought the Leica Rangenaster 900. It has a red LED readout with a target box that is the right size(some are TOO large). It only does ranges; not the weather report, no GPS, no compass and no modes : JUST RANGES.
    The Rangemaster is held by a both hands like a pair of binos, it only has one button this turns the unit on and does the range. There is a rangemaster unit that is 1200 yds.
    There is also a one-handed model the CRF.
    Both units use the standard 9 volt (transister radio style) battery; cheap compared to some rangefinder batteries and much easier to find off the beaten path.
    Leica optics are among the best and clearest; Leica also has a 7x magnification compared to most rangefindes 6x
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

kind of funny but.....the only one I have is the old Bushnell 400 that I use for ranging 100yds for checking zero when a "oh my gawd" type affair nails my rifle/scope combo in the field. Do use it to determine the 100yds for load development and setting up a target.

Am now interested in one that has some new developing ARC or whatever it is called, there is just so many rangefinders that one almost has to spend quite abit of bucks to find the "perfect" one. My days of climbing anymore either for goat, caribou or perhaps a sheep is very limited but having one of them ARC models would be a pretty cool satisfying moment when you are shooting down or up.

+1 for what bravo1 said!

As said Leica CRF 1200 they just flat out work. I put the box on it and it tells me how far away the object is. Every single time! What more could you want?

Default Rangefinders

Like most I looked for a long time gefore buying and I went with the Nikon Rifle 550, the reasoning behind was they were a little cheaper and I am not going to be shooting at anything comfortably past 550 yds. The unit works great and is very simple push the button and get the yardage, you can turn off the angle calculation if you want to but I just leave it on. Works fantastic and the optics are excellent, auto off so no dead battery on accident. Great unit...

I feel a little left out, all I have is the Bushnell 600 (I think) Actually +2 for Bravo. I have some trouble over tundra and water so I use a rangefinder. If its farther than what the rangefinder can do, then its too far to shoot, simple to me. And that's all I want it to do, tell me the range and this one works fine for me.

Default thanks

for the input guys! that little bushnell works good for bowhunting - but not always for longer distances rifle hunting-

OK, guys, i'm getting envious of all the CRF 1200's I'm hearing about. Just sold a LRF 800 and am saving up for the bad boy. How much have you been paying and where are you guys getting them?

Default bushnell

Rivrat,
    I had the same problem with my bushnell trophy rangefinder. It worked within 200 yards, but would not range past that. Not buildings, cars, nothing. I bought a Nikon Monarch laser 800, and it is head and shoulders above the bushnell. It easily ranges caribou size animals at 5-600 yards. I still use the bushnell, it is on my archery 3-D belt, but that is all I use it for.

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    OK, guys, i'm getting envious of all the CRF 1200's I'm hearing about. Just sold a LRF 800 and am saving up for the bad boy. How much have you been paying and where are you guys getting them?
    http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/s...ge=leicaoptics

Call Doug

My buddy's Leica works 10x better than my Bushnell.

KRS

Funny that a MOD even had to ask the question! Just hit the banner on the optics forum and get the best combo of customer service and cost on the web!

I've got mostly all Swarovski optics, rifle scopes, 10 X 42 bino's, spotting scope, so I went with the Swarovski 1500 yard rangefinder. A little spendy but an excellent product with top of the line glass quality. It has never failed me even in tough conditions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast