Thread: Pot puller info needed

Default Pot puller info needed

Guys i need your help. My buddy has a place in Homer and i am going to be up for a few weeks fishing with him. I want to get him some thing for having me up. He has a 25' boat and i know he has talked about getting a pot puller. I would like to know how much they are and what a good simple pot puller would cost and where to get him one. I know you guys who own boats put a lot of money into buying and maintaining a boat and all that goes into boat ownership. i plan on paying all the gas and bait but want to leave him with something nice. any help would be greatly apprciated! Thanks again for all your help

Default Pot puller

I went with this Quick Catch Pot Puller http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=97611F $550 + $88 for wiring kit.

I've done lots of business with go2marine and they are a good supplier. This one doesn't have a davit, but is lots less than ones that do. Davit is nice because with the quick catch you have to do the final lift into the boat by hand, davit can keep pot from hitting side of boat, but not a big problem. I have a roller on the front of my boat (26' Hewes AK) for the anchor, which I also pull with the pot puller. It was easy to install and wire myself, and I've only used it for one season but it's been great.

Lots of people like the Honda gas powered puller, $300 or so more than this one, and some like the electric ones with the davit (by the way, a davit is a swing-mounted arch with pulleys that lifts the pots above the gunnel), but those can get well over $1K.

Hope that helps. You probably thought they were less, but the one I recommended is about as low as you can go and get a quality product. You need to have the right place to mount it, though. Mine isn't in the way on the bow, it's not that big, and I mounted the foot button under the bow gunnel, and we push it with a foot to operate. You could mount somewhere in the rear of the boat too, but you would need a (OK, I know they have a name for it but can't re that!) a thingy with a pulley on the end to run the rope over and keep it off the boat.

If you get one, PM me and I'll tell you a better and safer was to run the wiring than they recommend.

Capn Ron
    Well it sure does not pay to go with the really cheap crap out there. I figued they would be around this price and i really appreciate your reply! Do you have yours rigged with a boom and pulley as well?

Default Nope....

I have an anchor pulley off the bow, sticks out about a foot. I pull the pot close, then lift into the bow (big area with scuppers on the front of a Hewes). Pots aren't that heavy, and if loaded with shrimp, the joy helps you lift it up! It was just a good place for me, and doubles as an anchor puller. Only problem with the anchor is you also have to lift the last 20 feet or so, depending on how much chain, plus a heavy anchor. Fancy boats have a pulley that accomodates chain, but we get by.

Here's a picture of a boat like mine, you can just see the anchor pulley in front, sorry that's the best I could do. I'd take a pic of my setup, but the boat is hibernating in Valdez while I bask in an Idaho winter! There is a plate on the front of the bow where I mounted the puller. Put a backing plate underneath to reinforce the mount.

Default Honda With Gear Reduction

Far and away - the Honda with a gear reduction or maybe a briggs and stratton option is the besty way to go. There not cheap - but if they are cared for properly they will last forever. Not only that - if they are rigged correctly, the unit can be easily transferred to another boat for tempory usage. They will pull as many pots as you want and you don't have to worry about your batteries being drained or the gears being stripped out like the electric units. Contact Marita Sea N Ski in ANC

Electra-Dyne you'll only buy it once. I sent you a pm.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default If you have the money?

Hi Steve: I've read all the post and agree the Electro-dyne sounds like the hands down winner of the pot puller derby, but I have two questions:

1) what is the cost of an ED including wire hookup?

2) are there any inherent dangers in using the windlass type puller like my Quick Catch until I think I can afford an ED? It works fine for our couple of weeks of pot pulling, and for someone that wants to spend well under a grand (About $630 with wiring kit), but I wouldn't want to keep recommending it if there are any dangers.

3) Maybe you could get Reynolds Alaska to carry your shrimp pots in Valdez? There are some homemade pots there, but not very good quality

When you pull the pots what do you do with the rope? I have been thinking of ways to spool the rope neatly and out of the way. I went to AIH and looked at there rope spooler and think it would be the cats meow. Where would you pick something like that up. AIH had no clue.

Default Strip it off

I just strip it off the capstan onto the deck of the boat. As long as you do not disturb the pile, it will pull right out when making a set. I run 700 feet of leadline and five pots on one buoy. Never a problem.

Even hand hauling five post, I use the same method, no problem.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Please read PWS shrimping in trouble

I agree the dyno is the best. But if comfish gets its way you wont be able to us it. Please read the listing and send your letter.
    Thanks
    Jody

Dave what do you do with it when its time to go home?

Default bucket

My pots stay in from April 15th until Sept. 15th. In Sept. I coil the rope into a tub.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    Hi Steve: I've read all the post and agree the Electro-dyne sounds like the hands down winner of the pot puller derby, but I have two questions:

1) what is the cost of an ED including wire hookup?

2) are there any inherent dangers in using the windlass type puller like my Quick Catch until I think I can afford an ED? It works fine for our couple of weeks of pot pulling, and for someone that wants to spend well under a grand (About $630 with wiring kit), but I wouldn't want to keep recommending it if there are any dangers.

3) Maybe you could get Reynolds Alaska to carry your shrimp pots in Valdez? There are some homemade pots there, but not very good quality
    Ron,
    I'll pm you some info on the E-D rules won't let me do it here. The QC will work fine for you as long as your careful with it, just don't let the rope stray over the head for a riding turn to happen. You might think of setting up some kind of pin or fair lead in front of the head to keep the rope going on it correctly.
    Fish Central did have a bunch of my pots last year, they both rented pots with their boat rentals and had some pots for sale.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by pa18tony View Post
    Dave what do you do with it when its time to go home?
    Just flake (don't coil) the rope into a tote, tub or basket. If you coil the coils have a tendency to get under each other and then when you running the rope back out of the tote you get what we used to call "********s" in the rope. I'm going to be stocking a nice soft lay braided sinking rope this year that just snots down beautifuly into tubs and totes.
    P2240030.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692