Thread: DIY hunt in a Guided Area

Default DIY hunt in a Guided Area

Kind of a downer but just found out that the area I hunting for Spring Bear Last year, which then we did not see another person for a week, will have two guides in this area this Spring.

Last year these same two guides were at dispute of whom would operate out of the area, this year the current rumor is, which was confirmed by an air charter and a local forest service employee the two guides will be "sharing the area".

Not sure if I should go into the area with the guide pressure, although they would not be in the same camp they would be a short 2 mile Zodiac ride from our tent area. They use inflatables and we would diffidently be using the same area, also I imagine they will have worked this area for a few weeks prior to our arrival.

I hate to ruin the memories we had last year as we were the only boat afloat in this area and saw several bear on a week hunt. Not that I do not mind hunting around other folks but I know they will be not happy with my presence in this bay and honestly they know the area much better than I so perhaps I can learn something by watching the different drainages they will be concentrating on. I see good and bad by being in the bay with the guide(s) but as of now I still plan on sharing the area with the guide(s). I do know that the first few days I will be hunting a different area than them but after that we will be sharing each others morning wakes as we boat down the bay I'm speculating going to productive coves.

Default Contact them

I think that might be the first thing to do. People often over look communication and that is where problems start. Let them know who and what you are and do and meet with them face to face if possible and that way you may be able to size them and their operation up. Talk about expectations on both sides of the fence. I wish you luck and it would be interesting if you would keep us informed to the outcome.

Good luck.

Question say hi

I agree that it would not be wrong to contact them and say hi. Don't get puffed up. Don't be real surprised if they do. Just be civil. Your projected presence might convince one or both to vacate the area. If your convinced your going there nothing really bad can result from communication.

And now the other side of the coin. If they are aware of your plans, your projected presence, they may set up dummy camps. Yes, it is not ethical. But yes, it has been done in the past.

I would, and I have in the past (as a resident hunter) communicated and tried to learn about their intensions. Alaska is big. Easy to be lost, but easy to bump others also.

Reading back on these words I have not really said anything, have I?

OK, contact them if your are absolutely convinced you are going there.

How do other forum members feel about this. It seems at first like a simple question, but it really is a conplicated situation.

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Have hunted off the same strip one of them had a camp set up off of before didn't have an issues then as our techniques were different (I walked 5 miles and shot a nice black), they glasses for days off the end of the strip, never seen them leave camp, we flew out with the black after three days. I've noticed guides have a lot more patients than I. Having said all that I'm very hesitant to contact them as they could easily drag some logs and block my only landing strip. A similar issue happened on last fall's hunt, made plans to fly into an area in the summer as some guides had moved out of the area and the only landing strip in the area a few years prior. Well a few weeks before the fly in talked to the air charter and somoene had moved about 8 fuel drums on the strip. Didn't work out too bad as I found a place to land on the coast and walk an old mining trail the 8 miles to the strip, remove the barrels in time for the second plane to arrive with the 3rd person in our party. This guy was someone who intending on mining a claim that was not his in the area and wanted to keep others out of the area (we speculated at least). We ended up leaving with two decent blacks on that trip and could have shot plenty more just had our fill that trip.

This trip I could gamble and talk to them, then they would know my intent to land at the only strip which they could easily head over to and block to prevent the plane from landing. Air charter has told me when I he picked me up from the other camp that I had hunted years prior that the guide was not happy with him that he flew me in. But in the early hunt the only way in for either of us was via plane. Now the guides use 4 wheelers to get close to a bay then pick their clients up in a boat, however I do not have access to 4 wheelers out here and it would be a heavy 2 mile carry with the raft anyhow. The guides bring in the camp and other gear with snow machines in the winter so they have quite a camp in there, even boat trailer with 40hp engines, etc...

Plans as of know is I have an alternate fly out location, have hunted that area before and took a nice 8'10" brown there (my first). Not as good of a location but could hold some nice bear, also usually mostly browns and no blacks. Once I get closer I will make a call weather to fly into this area or the planned area. Either way hunting the secluded drainage the first few days then will either drop the rest of camp at the guided area or get picked up and moved to the alternate area.

Default Blocked strip???

I'm not a pilot, so there is lots I don't know, but...

I believe it is illegal to block-off any airstrips on public land.
    Of course it has been done before, but I believe it is illegal due to safety concerns.

Might present this situation to the flying forum. Them guys know more about this type stuff. It certainly is not a new topic to them.

I also think that by noon Monday you will have many more forum viewers see this thread and contribute.

Dennis

i say talk to them, if they turn on you then spread the word on what type of guides they are and they'll just there just deserts. Call occupational licensing and tell them of your experience.
    But i say talk...i've had residents camp in the bay with me before, even used my name at the air taxi to get dropped in there, they never came over and talked, we sat there staring at each other for a week, a quarter mile apart..me on private land with a permit and them without a permit, waiting to enter private land...long story.
    i ended up going over and talking with them after they plane just circled and left, wanted to make sure everyone was ok, waves were to bad for the plane. anyway i could tell there were scared when i walked up, i think they were freakin' out i was gonna go ballistic on them for being jerks...but i just talked to them, asked some questions and told them if they needed anything to drop by and ask....
    just try the talking...most of us speak english and can understand it..some speak it but don't hear it. give it a shot.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    i say talk to them, if they turn on you then spread the word on what type of guides they are and they'll just there just deserts. Call occupational licensing and tell them of your experience.
    But i say talk...i've had residents camp in the bay with me before, even used my name at the air taxi to get dropped in there, they never came over and talked, we sat there staring at each other for a week, a quarter mile apart..me on private land with a permit and them without a permit, waiting to enter private land...long story.
    i ended up going over and talking with them after they plane just circled and left, wanted to make sure everyone was ok, waves were to bad for the plane. anyway i could tell there were scared when i walked up, i think they were freakin' out i was gonna go ballistic on them for being jerks...but i just talked to them, asked some questions and told them if they needed anything to drop by and ask....
    just try the talking...most of us speak english and can understand it..some speak it but don't hear it. give it a shot.

Not to mention 2 miles is a long ways apart.... bait stations up and down the haul road may not be more then 1/4 mile apart and all seem to do well in good bear areas...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I agree that you it would not hurt to contact them and let them know that you have hunted there the previous year and plan to again this year. I have hunted in the same areas as guides before and never had a problem communicating with them.

Yes, I would recommend trying to establish some sort of dialog...at least initially. I have hunted in many areas where there were also guides operating - after all some of the best sheep hunting areas are often staked out by guides. For the most part they have usually been more that reasonable....but there are exceptions. Be optimistic.