Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why "Freedom Arms"?

Default Why "Freedom Arms"?

I am in the tentative market for a 454 or some other large caliber handgun. Wondering if Freedom Arms are really worth the money and why. What brand is the best bang for the buck? Pardon the pun. I have Rugers in 44 and 357 have had no problem with them in all these years and paid a fraction of what a person would have to give up for a well used Freedom Arms.

Anyway, I need some imput from some folks more knowledgable than me.

Thanks.
    Last edited by jdub; 02-22-2009 at 17:50. Reason: spelling

I have owned more than twenty maybe twenty-five'ish over the last 24-25 years. Bang for the Buck I would but the Freedom Arms way down the list. However for master craftsmanship, and perfection of fit, lock-up, etc. it is at the top of the list. I have two .454's for sale here on the forum.

Default FA worth every penny

I own several Rugers(and others) and a single Freedom Arms .454 Casull field grade. The Rugers work and work well. The FA is an exceptional arm and mine is very accurate. I do think the FA's are premium priced, but if you are patient and have the time, they can be had for much less. I stole mine for $750 and was able to have it Mag-Na-Ported, target crowned and fitted with American Elk grips from Eagle grips for the same price as a stock new FA. They are designed with many features that ensure they hold up to the stress of the .454 Casull and other heavy magnums.
    My advice is to read, learn and watch the used market. They are great arms and can be had for less with patience.

e45colt

S&W 460 Mag is what I ended up with when I went looking for a good 454. It has the best trigger I have ever felt on a factory gun and shoots 45 Long Colt, 454, as well as the monster 460 S&W Mag. I was wondering if I made a good choice till I shot it then I knew I did, I love it!! Do yourself a favor and handle a S&W 460V 4" if not shoot one before you buy a 454. 460Vs can be found for under a grand new and sometimes less, much less used once in a while.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...07&isFirearm=Y

Andy

The Freedom Arms revolvers I have previously owned were without a doubt the absolute top of the line for a factory production handgun. When the NRA dope bag tested one of there .22 revolvers some years ago they declared it was the most accurate .22 rimfire handgun they EVER tested including those fancy single shots people used in slow fire Olympic contests.

Only you can decide it they are worth the asking price.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by e45colt View Post
    I own several Rugers(and others) and a single Freedom Arms .454 Casull field grade. The Rugers work and work well. The FA is an exceptional arm and mine is very accurate. I do think the FA's are premium priced, but if you are patient and have the time, they can be had for much less. I stole mine for $750 and was able to have it Mag-Na-Ported, target crowned and fitted with American Elk grips from Eagle grips for the same price as a stock new FA. They are designed with many features that ensure they hold up to the stress of the .454 Casull and other heavy magnums.
    My advice is to read, learn and watch the used market. They are great arms and can be had for less with patience.

e45colt
    i agree as to the quality, fit, and finish......my m97 (.45colt) is hands down the best, most accurate handgun i have ever fired! like fine shotguns, custom rifles, and other personal items it is necessary to want that level of craftsmanship.

handwork at this level is expensive, as are the materials, but if you are looking for the best in it's class.........freedom arms revolvers are IT.

i can recommend them without reservation.

happy trails.
    jh
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default FA vs The Rest-

The FA is a vault queen, meaning don't buy one for the field. A grain of sand can stop the cylinder rotation cold, those shiny epoxy embedded stocks offer zero traction to the hunter with bloody hands and the lack of a simple transfer bar (yes the model 97 has one, not the larger model 83 454) has injured and killed hunters in Alaska.

I used to collect them but since the Bake-Over (elder Baker passing on to the son) quality crashed.
    I once lugged a dozen FAs to GNG for a meeting with the local FA rep to present issues....sorry Joe!

Accuracy is rather vague but lemme help, out of the thirty or so examples I've spent time with and another members twenty or so three examples performed minute @ 100yds. Bare in mind that many credible writers of the 50's reported minute with the early S&W 29.

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    i agree as to the quality, fit, and finish......my m97 (.45colt) is hands down the best, most accurate handgun i have ever fired! like fine shotguns, custom rifles, and other personal items it is necessary to want that level of craftsmanship.
    handwork at this level is expensive, as are the materials, but if you are looking for the best in it's class.........freedom arms revolvers are IT.
    i can recommend them without reservation.happy trails.jh
    Nice Leather......Nice. Who did the leather work....????

I have several Rugers in .44 /.357/ .45 convertable the Stainless .44 super black hawk is my favorite, but look at the Magnum Research BFR, I have one in .475/.480 ruger a nice gun, needs some polishing a bit rough for the money but a real nice gun and very very accuratte!!
    Cheaper than the FA even new

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    Nice Leather......Nice. Who did the leather work....????
    hopeak; thanks for the complement! that is a mernickle field holster, bob does the leatherwork and design and his "craftsman" does the tooling.

check his website.

the holster is practical, and holds the "97" at just the right angle. that picture was taken after 9 days in the field. it just happens to still look good, and seems to be a durable piece of equipment.

happy trails.
    jh

Quote Originally Posted by alaskamonte View Post
    The FA is a vault queen, meaning don't buy one for the field. A grain of sand can stop the cylinder rotation cold, those shiny epoxy embedded stocks offer zero traction to the hunter with bloody hands and the lack of a simple transfer bar (yes the model 97 has one, not the larger model 83 454) has injured and killed hunters in Alaska.

I used to collect them but since the Bake-Over (elder Baker passing on to the son) quality crashed.
    I once lugged a dozen FAs to GNG for a meeting with the local FA rep to present issues....sorry Joe!

Accuracy is rather vague but lemme help, out of the thirty or so examples I've spent time with and another members twenty or so three examples performed minute @ 100yds. Bare in mind that many credible writers of the 50's reported minute with the early S&W 29.
    alaskamonte; i am sure your credentials are unquestionable.....but i have had nothing but great experiences with my freedom arms 97. even after a horse wreck (broken pelvis) it still functions like new. i think you are wrong in your assesment!

jh

For "value" I went with a Ruger Blackhwk 45LC. 4 5/8" stainless. I put on some aftermarket rubber grips. Load some heavy 330 gr hardcast 45's for lots of punch. Reasonable weight and size so it carries well, it's rugged and doesn't cost a fortune. The one change I would like is to try is a bisley style hammer on it. Wish they made one in .480 without having to go to a custom 5 shot.

Have you tried 320gr hardcast in your Ruger 44? The heavy bullets bring out the most in it.

Eric

Default Not much choice

on the 454s and up in factory singleactions, FA and Magnum Research are it I think. Between them, the samples I've seen favor the FA for apparent workmanship (Have not owned either) and I think it's trimmer for caliber than the BFR. There are custom rugers available if you want to go that route.
    Type of action you want is the first big "cut".
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Talking Freedom Arms

Quote Originally Posted by jdub View Post
    I am in the tentative market for a 454 or some other large caliber handgun. Wondering if Freedom Arms are really worth the money and why. What brand is the best bang for the buck? Pardon the pun. I have Rugers in 44 and 357 have had no problem with them in all these years and paid a fraction of what a person would have to give up for a well used Freedom Arms.

Anyway, I need some imput from some folks more knowledgable than me.

Thanks.
    There is no question that the FA handguns are worth the money that they sell for. The real question is, is it worth it to you? I own one that is chambered in the Casull and have carried it and shot it extensively over the last ten years. It has no peers in the world of single action revolvers when it comes to quality in my opinion. Nonetheless, I don't know that I would say it is the best bang for the buck. I have shot a few other makes chambered for the great Casull cartridge and they went bang just as well and cost a lot less. To me, it is the story as to why some people want to drive a Mercedes and some (or most) are fine with a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge. They all pretty much just do the same thing, they drive down the road. The Mercedes might have a little more class and drive a little smoother or quieter, but all in all they do the same thing. I would love to try to talk you in to buying a FA, but I think you would be just as well served with a less expensive revolver. I don't know what you plan on using it for, but I will say, FA revolvers are arguably the most accurate single action revolvers available and if you were wanting one for long range work (handgun hunting) instead of merely defense purposes, then I would lean heavily toward the FA.

I can tell you horror stories about Freedom's, please don't ask, I get in hot water. Pretty, yes, functional and safe NO!
    If you want a gun that is so accurate you will not believe it and will shoot anything stuffed in it, buy a BFR.

[quote=bfrshooter;441883]I can tell you horror stories about Freedom's, please don't ask, I get in hot water. Pretty, yes, functional and safe NO! quote]

I'll ask, I'll ask nicely.........Please.....pretty please tell horror stories about how "UNSAFE" Freedom Arms Revolvers are.

[quote=Hopeak;441906]
    Quote Originally Posted by bfrshooter View Post
    I can tell you horror stories about Freedom's, please don't ask, I get in hot water. Pretty, yes, functional and safe NO! quote]

I'll ask, I'll ask nicely.........Please.....pretty please tell horror stories about how "UNSAFE" Freedom Arms Revolvers are.
    What does Freedom put as a warning in the manual? NO LIVE ROUNDS UNDER THE HAMMER. They make a hammer block and a transfer bar yet none are deemed safe. My friend had less then 50 rounds through his when I found the hammer block failed to rise and pushing on the hammer also pushed the firing pin in. I had to make a new part to replace the worn one---50 rounds to wear it out???? Why spend $2000 for a 4 or 5 shot revolver?
    When the hammer block fails and the hammer is snagged back to rotate to a live round and the trigger is not pulled, it will still fire if the hammer slips off the snag. So the warning must mean that the NEXT chamber must be left empty too.
    Accuracy!!!!! you will not find two Freedoms that shoot the same, one will be like a rifle and the next can be beat with a slingshot.
    Cylinders are too short for most calibers, even a 160 gr .357 boolit will stick out the front. Heavy boolits for the .475 must have short noses and be seated deep in the case.
    Rate of twist favors light boolits in large calibers.
    There is a LOT wrong with them and the only good thing is fit and finish. I might own one for a wall hanger if I get it free!
    I have been a part time gunsmith for over 50 years but it was just recently that friends bought Freedom guns. All of a sudden they were coming in with complaints, something broke or they would not shoot as advertised. I had no information and when I took them apart I named some parts wrong. Yet I was amazed at the fit and workmanship on one of the poorest designed revolvers I ever seen. If it was a bridge, it would fall.
    Freedom owners are VERY defensive and HATE anything said against the gun. I fully expect to be slammed but I will never apologize. Baker hates me too.
    By the way, I just shot a 7/8", 100 yd group today with my BFR .475 using a 420 gr WFN boolit. And it has a red dot on it, not a scope. I have kept 4 out of 5 on a 6" swinger at 400 yd's with this gun.
    Just try to talk me into a Freedom!

Sir, I am not going to slam you. I can only state that Having owned about twenty, and fired about 1,000 rounds of factory ammo total, ("NOT" per firearm) or about 50 rounds average each. That I have never had one malfunction, ever. I do agree with those who say the grip is slippery, and one experiences a lot of rotation. I generally just wear shooting gloves. When I first started buying Freedom Arms Revolvers they were around $600.00 I don't know how they sell any at $2,375.00

Thank you for your thoughts on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    Sir, I am not going to slam you. I can only state that Having owned about twenty, and fired about 1,000 rounds of factory ammo total, ("NOT" per firearm) or about 50 rounds average each. That I have never had one malfunction, ever. I do agree with those who say the grip is slippery, and one experiences a lot of rotation. I generally just wear shooting gloves. When I first started buying Freedom Arms Revolvers they were around $600.00 I don't know how they sell any at $2,375.00

Thank you for your thoughts on the subject.
    I was once like that in that when friends brought a new one over, I would drool on them. Then when trying to get some to shoot or actually working on them I had to change my mind. I still love the look, the feel and the beauty of them, it just ends there now.
    I never just like to make noise with a revolver. I am not happy with anything less then less then 1/2" to an inch at 50 yd's. Most of my revolvers will shoot under 1" at 100 yd's if I do my part.

Quote Originally Posted by bfrshooter View Post
    What does Freedom put as a warning in the manual? NO LIVE ROUNDS UNDER THE HAMMER. They make a hammer block and a transfer bar yet none are deemed safe. My friend had less then 50 rounds through his when I found the hammer block failed to rise and pushing on the hammer also pushed the firing pin in. I had to make a new part to replace the worn one---50 rounds to wear it out???? Why spend $2000 for a 4 or 5 shot revolver?
    When the hammer block fails and the hammer is snagged back to rotate to a live round and the trigger is not pulled, it will still fire if the hammer slips off the snag. So the warning must mean that the NEXT chamber must be left empty too.
    Accuracy!!!!! you will not find two Freedoms that shoot the same, one will be like a rifle and the next can be beat with a slingshot.
    Cylinders are too short for most calibers, even a 160 gr .357 boolit will stick out the front. Heavy boolits for the .475 must have short noses and be seated deep in the case.
    Rate of twist favors light boolits in large calibers.
    There is a LOT wrong with them and the only good thing is fit and finish. I might own one for a wall hanger if I get it free!
    I have been a part time gunsmith for over 50 years but it was just recently that friends bought Freedom guns. All of a sudden they were coming in with complaints, something broke or they would not shoot as advertised. I had no information and when I took them apart I named some parts wrong. Yet I was amazed at the fit and workmanship on one of the poorest designed revolvers I ever seen. If it was a bridge, it would fall.
    Freedom owners are VERY defensive and HATE anything said against the gun. I fully expect to be slammed but I will never apologize. Baker hates me too.
    By the way, I just shot a 7/8", 100 yd group today with my BFR .475 using a 420 gr WFN boolit. And it has a red dot on it, not a scope. I have kept 4 out of 5 on a 6" swinger at 400 yd's with this gun.
    Just try to talk me into a Freedom!

I'm sure you like your BFRs' but I still have #24 from Freedom WY and my most recent on is another 454 5 1/2"#D19499. I've owned owned more than a dozen and shot another fifty extensively since I was the only source for ammo for the most of the big calibers outside of the FA facility and got to see many of them before they went on a hunt.

I've shot many MOA groups with heavy bullets in 454, 475LB, 500LB and the new 500 WY Exp. I have shot 1" groups at 100 yards with the 44 and 300 grain LFN's. The accuracy of the FA revolvers is outstanding and without question by anyone who can shoot.

As for your diatribe about the M83's transfer bar it has none, never did. The rule is the same as for old Colt or old style Rugers, don't set the hammer on a primer. The FA 83 has a three notch hammer just like the old Rugers. The dog notch is not meant for holster carry , anyone knows that. As for flipping the hammer back it will catch on either the dog notch or the half cock notch/loading notch. Your knowledge of a Freedom Arms revolver is lacking indeed. I would question if you have ever had one disassembled. Just shoot your BFR's and tell your tall tales around your own campfire.

As for your gunsmithing, Freedom arms has a lifetime warranty on all D models I guess your friends don't trust the maker to repair their guns. I have over 3000 rounds through my original 7 1/2" and it will still shoot, isn't broke, never has been broken except for the original grips, it was dropped off a mountain once and didn't fire, how could that be.
    Last edited by Murphy; 02-26-2009 at 19:42.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast