Thread: Gold Panning off the road system?

Default Gold Panning off the road system?

Looking for a place to take my family to pan for gold this summer. Near the road system or within ATV ride. It would be nice it it was near a camp ground or good place to camp.

Any ideas? Not looking for anyones private spots just information on decent public places to spend some time with the kids.

I grew up here in Anchorage and have spent a lot of time outdoors as a child and an adult but I have never panned for gold. Thought it would be a nice thing to try when the fishing is slow this year.

Go to http://www.akmining.com/ type panning into the search bar and click search. This is where I started last summer, I did not find the "mother load" in these public areas but my family and I had a blast looking! Happy panning and welcome to the party.

Crow Creek is a good place to start, they will give you some paydirt and show you how to pan it out. When you move down to the creek you will find a little color in dang near every pan, this lets you know you are doing right at least. http://www.crowcreekmine.com/index.h...Gold_Mine.html

Now when I say "a little color" it better be sunny and you should have very good vision but it is there.

Happy hunting.

Hope has awesome off road panning. And on the other side of the creek, is Federal Land with an ATV trail that goes for miles (actually to Kenai).

It is literally right off the small road, you can pull in and it is for public use. I went there as a small child and went back late summer and even though the road was widened and there were new trails, it was fun and beautiful to roam around and pan.

Good luck. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Deak View Post
    Looking for a place to take my family to pan for gold this summer. Near the road system or within ATV ride. It would be nice it it was near a camp ground or good place to camp.

Any ideas? Not looking for anyones private spots just information on decent public places to spend some time with the kids.

I grew up here in Anchorage and have spent a lot of time outdoors as a child and an adult but I have never panned for gold. Thought it would be a nice thing to try when the fishing is slow this year.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Quote Originally Posted by Deak View Post
    Thought it would be a nice thing to try when the fishing is slow this year.
    Fishing is going to be slow this summer?
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

I have picked up match head size nuggets at Crow Creek with a detector, & for panning it's a fun place for a family.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Check out Peetersville off of Peetersville road. There is a public mining area back in there. There is another area on the east side of turnagin pass.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/